sub eq help - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 jaspip will become famous soon enoughjaspip will become famous soon enoughjaspip will become famous soon enoughjaspip will become famous soon enoughjaspip will become famous soon enoughjaspip will become famous soon enough

Default sub eq help

Hey guys, so here is my set up. I have AF 690's in the doors and AF gs42 in the dash.My sub is a jl 10w6d4 They are being powered by jl hd900.5. I also have a helix in the chain. noob as far as tuning with a dsp goes. I have the 690's xover at 70 and 220. The gs42's are also at 220. The sub is at 50. I have tried other configurations but as you can see there is something going on down at the low end. I have tried putting a shelf filter at 100 +3db which helps some. I can get the Midbass to pound but lower frequencies are dead. What am I doing wrong or better yet am I doing anything right? REW is for sure a learning curve. What its telling me to do on the low end 30-50 is drastic cuts. seems like that's where I would need boost. Like I said, total noob so any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png rew graph.png (32.0 KB, 47 views)
jaspip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 218 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: sub eq help

try cutting all but subs and aiming for a similar curve to this
Attached Images
File Type: png oNAW6ww.png (49.5 KB, 40 views)

Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco Studio-204D SQ - Alpine F17 - Sundown SD3-10
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 79 adrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enough

Do you have that crossed at 50?
adrian s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 79 adrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enoughadrian s will become famous soon enough

This sounds much better. Slowly getting there.
Attached Images
File Type: png 63AA93DF-533F-4451-9282-91B5B1E3A38B_1560471739864.png (32.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 368 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Bump up your lpf to about 80hz, and match your mid hpf to the same. Your suns can play well beyond 50hz, so let them. They are better suited for the job of 50-80hz than your mids are.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

The 70 to 200 might still be too high I think, but this is a personal choice.

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

To be honest, I based my settings on what Andy suggested to me. I’ve played around with them but nothing has sounded as good as the points he suggested. My only issue has been the sub but I think I’m getting there.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
The 70 to 200 might still be too high I think, but this is a personal choice.
What would you suggest. I’m definitely willing to try something out.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Bump up your lpf to about 80hz, and match your mid hpf to the same. Your suns can play well beyond 50hz, so let them. They are better suited for the job of 50-80hz than your mids are.
I’ve tried running the sub up to 70 - 80 range but could never get the staging right. Everything seems to fall in place at 50. I just had to work the eq. It’s also extremely likely that I wasn’t skilled enough to fix the staging with the sub that high.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Rep Power: 30 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian s View Post
Iíve tried running the sub up to 70 - 80 range but could never get the staging right. Everything seems to fall in place at 50. I just had to work the eq. Itís also extremely likely that I wasnít skilled enough to fix the staging with the sub that high.
That's kinda tough. You have to play around with delay or phase to get the "on the dash" bass effect. I added 12.5 ms delay to everything, then subtracted delay from the subs until I got that effect.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Rep Power: 30 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

12.5 ms is the wavelength of an 80 hz sine wave, subtract a quarter (3.125 ms) to change phase 90 degrees, an eighth (1.5625 ms) for 45 degrees, half (6.25 ms) for 180 degrees, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
tyroneshoes (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What would you suggest. Iím definitely willing to try something out.
The one I have actually looks like the graph from tyroneshoes above (but my 25 to 30 is a little higher).

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
12.5 ms is the wavelength of an 80 hz sine wave, subtract a quarter (3.125 ms) to change phase 90 degrees, an eighth (1.5625 ms) for 45 degrees, half (6.25 ms) for 180 degrees, etc.
Do you initially add the sub distance or just everything else?
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 368 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Iíve tried running the sub up to 70 - 80 range but could never get the staging right. Everything seems to fall in place at 50. I just had to work the eq. Itís also extremely likely that I wasnít skilled enough to fix the staging with the sub that high.
You should be able to play up to around 120hz before the bass has any affect on staging. Frequencies that low are not localizable, so you can't hear where they're coming from, thus they wouldn't hurt staging. Rattles, buzzes, and other noises that are excited by the sub could hurt staging, however. When the sub hits it excites all of the panels, if they aren't deadened then the higher frequencies that they produce in time with the sub could draw your attention rearward, but that should be fixed with deadening, not lowering your LPF.

You've got plenty of tools to fix the problem, I'm sure you'll find what works.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,125 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
I dont suggest this. since most want their sub at a higher level then their midbass, you want a slight gap in between them to keep the phase in tact at the crossover.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,125 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

what car is it? where are you getting signal from? stock radio? aftermarket? etc etc.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
what car is it? where are you getting signal from? stock radio? aftermarket? etc etc.
2015 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk. I’m using the stock 8.4 Uconnect
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
man I spent hours today trying to dial in the sub. I had to walk away Eventually. I have it set at 50hz because that feels the closest. I just can’t find the sweet spot.
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Quote:
Just do standard T/A first, then add an identical amount of delay to everything, then you can subtract delay from the sub only to change the phase. Most of the time, the sub has no delay because it is the farthest speaker, so adding the same amount of delay to everything should maintain your staging while giving you something to work with on the sub.
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

This is the method that I’ve been trying to use. I’m having trouble figuring out exactly how much delay to add to everything.
Old 1 Week Ago   #21

A very simple example.
before. after
Left front delay. 5 ms. +12.5 ms. 17.5 ms
Right front delay. 3 ms. +12.5 ms. 15.5 ms
Sub delay. 0 ms. +12.5 ms. 12.5 ms

Now you have enough delay on the sub to change the phase 360 degrees at 80 hz. You don't necessarily need that much delay 6.25 ms would probably be plenty (180 degrees of phase).
Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
Quote:
Just do standard T/A first, then add an identical amount of delay to everything, then you can subtract delay from the sub only to change the phase. Most of the time, the sub has no delay because it is the farthest speaker, so adding the same amount of delay to everything should maintain your staging while giving you something to work with on the sub.
OK so Ive only been adding delay to everything except the sub. What you’re saying is include the sub as well and then subtract the sub to find the sweet spot? I will try this
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Do you also time align the sub? In the Initial distance?
Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Quote:
This is the method that Iíve been trying to use. Iím having trouble figuring out exactly how much delay to add to everything.
Do you have a mic? Have you tried inverting the polarity on the sub, then playing a tone that falls in the xover between sub and mids, and adjust for lowest volume, then change the sub polarity back to normal? Or don't change polarity on the sub and adjust for maximum volume. I find it easier to do using a mic and REW's spl meter.
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Quote:
Do you also time align the sub? In the Initial distance?
Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement