2 channel or mono ? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Aro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enough

Default 2 channel or mono ?

Hey guys new to the forum
I have not been involved in car audio for quite some time now. Back in 2000 I competed at the Iasca finals down in Oklahoma and it was fantastic. I am not really up to date with all the new technology on amps and subs and trying to educate myself again.
I have seen that many people are using mono block amps nowadays for subs and so I have purchased an amp which I thought I would be happy with. Unfortunately this is not the case and just wondering if perhaps I should go old school and revert back to a solid 2 channel ?
Vehicle is a 2013 Cadillac SRX
Amp purchased is an audio control lc1.800
Sub is a Rockford Fosgate p3 DVC 4 ohm
Currently have it running @ 2 ohms and it sounds horrible
I listen to a wide variety of music and the sub not only lacks power but the sub will only sound decent at very low frequencies which is ok for hip hop but everything else sounds like garbage.
Need some advice and am willing to go with a new setup to get things how I want them to sound. Iím too deep into the job to walk away now
Thanks
Aro222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2 channel or mono ?

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a mic? Can you post a pic of your frequency response?
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

That's a solid amp and the sub isn't terrible. My guess is the enclosure isn't ideal. What's volume of enclosure? Is it sealed or ported? If ported, you know what it's tuned to?

í14 Tundra: Pioneer AVH2300NEX - Helix Mini - RF 2-Punch 200x2 & 1-Punch 240x4 Trans.ana - AudioFrog GB15, GB60 & GB12D2
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Besides the "lacking power" portion, I wouldn't expect the amp to be the problem. My first thought is install. What size enclosure? Ported or sealed? What are your crossover points and what are you mating the sub up to for midbass/midrange and how much power do they have?

It sounds to me like you are lacking midbass and possibly output in the 80+hz range. I agree with nyquistrate that you should get a frequency response and provide that.

Also, provide a song that you are familiar with that you believe isn't sounding correct in the bass region. You mention you have deep bass in rap, most rap music is focused around the 40hz+ range although it can dip down lower. If you're missing kick drum type of impact, that is higher up around 90hz and is more impacted by your midbass.

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #5

Rep Power: 0 Aro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enoughAro222 will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately I donít own a mic anymore
Those days have passed
My box is .6 cubes as recommended by fosgate
Sealed enclosure
The amp crossover is set to 45 hz it seems to get a bit punchier at 65 70 and 85 however it is way too distorted to play at that frequency
Also forgot to mention that I am simply adding a sub into a stock setup
Mids and highs are running off a god awful Bose system which is integrated into the vehicle
My concern is getting the sub to sound good for now and be able to play it across a wider range of frequencies as to enjoy multiple types of music
I find this really weird because Iíve never had this issue in the past where a sub would only play one frequency and completely roll off with another
Perhaps the box is too small ?
Why would Rockford spec it if it is ?
Old 06-13-2019   #6

I remember years ago we used to drop 10Ē subs in a 1 cube sealed box hook them up to a 2 channel amp with a lp xover and watch the trunk lids dance with whatever music you through at it. What happened ? I miss those days
God Iím old.....
Are these mono blocks really that much better or is the only advantage efficiency ?
Old 06-13-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 236 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering how you got the signal to the sub... if it sounds that distorted, something odd is going on.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #8

Signal is tapped off the front door speakers
My current amp is equipped with high level inputs and signal sense so no need for a LOC
Old 06-13-2019   #9

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro222 View Post
Signal is tapped off the front door speakers

My current amp is equipped with high level inputs and signal sense so no need for a LOC
I'm not familiar with that car, but there may be some factory time alignment, eq, and/or crossover that is screwing up your signal.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #10

Rep Power: 30 dhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enoughdhmcfadin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
I'm not familiar with that car, but there may be some factory time alignment, eq, and/or crossover that is screwing up your signal.

Yup. With the GM Bose systems, there is a highpass crossover set on all door speakers. If I remember correctly it is 50hz. You can either get an integration module or try to use the accubass feature on the 1.800 But, without being able to see whatís going on, itís a shot in the dark. You could at least download an rta app and play some pink noise to get an idea.

2018 F150 AudioControl 6.1200/4.800/1.1500, Helix MK2, NavTV, AudioFrog GB10/GB25, FI Audio, Audio Development W800 Neo, Morel, Neutrik Rean, Mogami, Second Skin
dhmcfadin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement