Whats Your Quick Connect Setup w/ 30A+ Battery Chargers - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago   #1

Rep Power: 16 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Default Whats Your Quick Connect Setup w/ 30A+ Battery Chargers

I just bought an Iota DLS-45 Amp Power Supply so I could charge my car as i tune with the engine off. Previous to this I had a 0.75A Battery Tender Jr. hooked up to my battery, via ring terminals by SAE connector. After doing some research this morning I’m realizing that SAE connections aren’t good for anything over about 30 Amps, so I’m trying to figure out the best quick connect setup for my application.

I checked out Anderson Power Pole 45A connectors, but they only fit 10 awg wire, and Iota recommends 4-8awg wire (for the battery connection). The next step up in Anderson’s line are the SB-50 which handle 50 amps. These would work for my application but I’d like to find a prefab solution (already fused w/ ring terminals, etc.)

Question: What quick connect setup are you using for your higher amperage battery charger? Also, (if you didn’t make it yourself) where did you buy it?

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800’s on the way!
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 41 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Whats Your Quick Connect Setup w/ 30A+ Battery Chargers

Power Pole 75A connectors can fit 6 to 10 awg.

https://www.impulseelectronics.com/p...elet-terminal/
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #3

Rep Power: 16 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
Power Pole 75A connectors can fit 6 to 10 awg.

https://www.impulseelectronics.com/p...elet-terminal/
Perfect. I found a fused version that’ll work out great:
https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-inli...-fuses-8-gauge

Thanks

JL ZR800’s on the way!

Old 6 Days Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 27 tranv9565 will become famous soon enoughtranv9565 will become famous soon enoughtranv9565 will become famous soon enoughtranv9565 will become famous soon enoughtranv9565 will become famous soon enoughtranv9565 will become famous soon enough

I went to Harbor freight and bought a set of 8 gauge jumper cables. I think it was like $9. Just cut it in half or leave it at whatever length you need.

Stripped ends go into the DLS-45 and the jumpers just connect to the battery.
tranv9565 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranv9565 View Post
I went to Harbor freight and bought a set of 8 gauge jumper cables. I think it was like $9. Just cut it in half or leave it at whatever length you need.

Stripped ends go into the DLS-45 and the jumpers just connect to the battery.
Not too bad of an idea. I may use if as a temporary solution.

It’s crazy how much the 75a powerplole connectors are. They pretty much run $5 for each connector, and 4 are needed to make a connection.

These two things (linked below) would get me setup with a quick connect, but it would be $60 shipped! That’s more than I paid for my used dls-45
https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-inli...-fuses-8-gauge
https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-pp75...-cable-8-gauge

I priced everything out separate and I really wouldn’t save much buying everything and assembling myself.

JL ZR800’s on the way!
Old 6 Days Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

i've got a 45a PSU with one 50a breaker near the PSU and another within 18" of the battery. i use a powerpoles to connect the PSU to the car.

i made another set of wires with ferrules at one end and powerpoles at the other. i made a third set of wires with alligator clips at the end and powerpoles at the other.

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nadams5755 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #7

Rep Power: 6 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Would something like a forklift battery terminal connector work? Surely those would be able to provide the amp capacity you'd need.

ETA: Apologies, skimmed over on the part where you were requesting a solution with fuses/ring terminals already installed. The forklift/winch/trailer connectors would definitely require some work to use.
ajt976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajt976 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah some of these forklift connectors can support 600A or 300A or 175A depending on the size/type. However these connectors are all huge!!
(i'm actually a certified forklift drive too lol... a backup guy incase everyone disappears...)

diy.phil

Last edited by diy.phil; 6 Days Ago at 11:39 AM..
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to diy.phil For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Look at these trolling motor connectors. They have 8awg wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Heavy...CV1B84YGY8D554

https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Heavy...FAJEYD4M3ZNDA0

I’d need to add ring terminals and a fuse though

JL ZR800’s on the way!
Old 5 Days Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 64 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

I used Anderson Power Pole SB50 with 6awg terminals. It's actually SMH branded (But mfr'd by APP for them) which are used primarily for forklifts & such. We have a whole dept at work that is dedicated to servicing heavy equipment mostly diesel but some battery powered. Those battery harnesses get damaged once in a while so we carry an inventory for repairs

Made this to connect to the battery in the car:

And this connects to the 55a PS which has built in fusing on the outputs:

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (5 Days Ago), jimmydee (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 298 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
Look at these trolling motor connectors. They have 8awg wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Heavy...CV1B84YGY8D554

https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Heavy...FAJEYD4M3ZNDA0

I’d need to add ring terminals and a fuse though
I have basically that same plug that came oem in my boat and it's on borrowed time after 3 years. I also only unplug it once or twice a year at the most. I also have up to 60a going through the oem 6g wire. Babied in a car audio environment it would probably be OK. Need to replace mine at some point. I'd just hardwire it like most people I know but I've had a trolling motor start smoking on me (first boat many years ago had corroded connections in the trolling motor itself) and had to scramble to cut the wires. Might get some Anderson connectors for it since I know those hold up under pressure.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Tread lightly-you never know what someone is going through until you have to walk in their shoes
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (5 Days Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement