High power 4ohm amp? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 25 Kountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enough

Default High power 4ohm amp?

Does anybody in the car audio industry make a monoblock amp or possibly a 2-channel 2,000 Watt amp @ 4ohm?
Kountz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: High power 4ohm amp?

Good luck, there might be some SPL stuff out there, but 2k watts at 4 ohms is a lot to ask, why not wire to a lower impedance? Regardless, most of us here build "SQ" systems, so an amp like that isn't something most of us would ever bother with.

There are some SPL guys here that may have some suggestions, but I'd expect them to be pretty limited.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 25 Kountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enoughKountz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Good luck, there might be some SPL stuff out there, but 2k watts at 4 ohms is a lot to ask, why not wire to a lower impedance? Regardless, most of us here build "SQ" systems, so an amp like that isn't something most of us would ever bother with.

There are some SPL guys here that may have some suggestions, but I'd expect them to be pretty limited.
pro audio mids and subs are 8-4ohm no dual voicecoils.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to send 2k watts to a mid, or even a sub for that matter? What are your goals?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Quote:
Why would you want to send 2k watts to a mid, or even a sub for that matter? What are your goals?
This is going to be an SQL system and I like it loud and when I mean loud I mean loud to where your brain is leaking out of your ears. I want it to sound clean but I also want to be able to turn this thing up where it will crack your chest plate wide open like an egg. Pro audio subs need the power and the enclosure to do it. I'm going to be running a high efficient Pro audio mid in the door and compression drivers under the dash utilizing Eric Stevens drivers.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

You clearly don't understand how little power it takes to reach high SPL, especially with pro audio. I'll bow out of this conversation and maybe someone else can help you out.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
You clearly don't understand how little power it takes to reach high SPL, especially with pro audio. I'll bow out of this conversation and maybe someone else can help you out.
If a subwoofer requires 1500 w RMS then you give it to him. The sub can handle up to 3500 Watts. You don't get a strong subwoofer and give it 300w and think it's going to be okay.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

The compression drivers would probably make your brain leak out of your ears with less than 10 watts. Honestly I would go for quality over quantity on the compression drivers (lowest noise floor possible) and also go with quality over quantity on the mids (again lowest noise floor possible because of their efficiency).

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
The compression drivers would probably make your brain leak out of your ears with less than 10 watts. Honestly I would go for quality over quantity on the compression drivers (lowest noise floor possible) and also go with quality over quantity on the mids (again lowest noise floor possible because of their efficiency).
I'm going with Eric Stevens neo compression drivers full size horns and his 8" pro audio driver.I would like to try the new Beyma 8MC500ND but it's only an 8 ohm.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountz View Post
If a subwoofer requires 1500 w RMS then you give it to him. The sub can handle up to 3500 Watts. You don't get a strong subwoofer and give it 300w and think it's going to be okay.
It will be ok, it doesn't require anything, it just won't be as loud.

I'll give you a quick example:

The eminence Alpha pro audio 8" has a sensitivity rating of 100.9dB at 1 watt. to put that into perspective, conversations are around 60dB, so with a single watt of power you are 40dB louder than typical conversation levels. 1 watt! Throw 250 watts at it, and you'll have 125dB (if it can even handle the power). Your idea to throw 2k watts at a pro audio mid is ridiculous, firstly because they won't handle the power, and secondly if they could you'd have sound pressure levels that will wreck your hearing almost immediately.

The math says that you can achieve very loud music levels with 50 watts. With 50 watts your system is capable of sound pressure levels that rival a live rock concert.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (2 Weeks Ago), Hillbilly SQ (3 Weeks Ago), rton20s (3 Weeks Ago), Truthunter (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Quote:
Quote:
It will be ok, it doesn't require anything, it just won't be as loud.

I'll give you a quick example:

The eminence Alpha pro audio 8" has a sensitivity rating of 100.9dB at 1 watt. to put that into perspective, conversations are around 60dB, so with a single watt of power you are 40dB louder than typical conversation levels. 1 watt! Throw 250 watts at it, and you'll have 125dB (if it can even handle the power). Your idea to throw 2k watts at a pro audio mid is ridiculous, firstly because they won't handle the power, and secondly if they could you'd have sound pressure levels that will wreck your hearing almost immediately.

The math says that you can achieve very loud music levels with 50 watts. With 50 watts your system is capable of sound pressure levels that rival a live rock concert.
It's not a mid buddy it's an 18" pro audio subwoofer. LOL
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked Eric what he suggests for his speakers when it comes to getting louder than any sane person should listen?

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
You never clarified that, you said "pro audio mids and subs are 8-4ohm no dual voicecoils." Why bring up pro audio mids if it wasn't relevant?

Regardless, a pro audio subwoofer still won't need 2k watts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Or wait, for the subwoofer feed it all you can just because. I'd give a Mosconi Zero 3 (I think that's the big 2ch anyway) a hard look.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Quote:
Have you asked Eric what he suggests for his speakers when it comes to getting louder than any sane person should listen?
Yes, we have been talking over the past week. He likes loud systems. We were trying to find the perfect subwoofer to match his front stage and we are in agreement that I need to go with a pro audio sub. It appears that the CIARE 18.00 SW - 4 looks like a solid woofer. I just need to get it about 1500 watts @ 4 ohm. The salesman said this subwoofer has got deep low tone and very responsive.

for the record, I have never heard A Car audio install with all Pro audio drivers that sounded good. They were always loud as hell with ear piercing highs and 0 mid-bass just super loud highs an earth-shattering bass. That is not what I want. If there ever was such a thing I want this to be SQL.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Quote:
Or wait, for the subwoofer feed it all you can just because. I'd give a Mosconi Zero 3 (I think that's the big 2ch anyway) a hard look.
I wouldn't waste an awesome amp like that on a pro audio sub. that would definitely go to some focal beryllium drivers LOL
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Quote:
Quote:
You never clarified that, you said "pro audio mids and subs are 8-4ohm no dual voicecoils." Why bring up pro audio mids if it wasn't relevant?

Regardless, a pro audio subwoofer still won't need 2k watts.
You obviously like to underpower your speakers. I don't.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Rep Power: 77 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I couldnít resist.

Also https://www.taramps.com.br/en/produtos/amplificadores/

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 54 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

M12 puts out at least 1300 was 4 ohm some as high as 1500.
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
I read up on those amps and they say they're very noisy.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

Rep Power: 77 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

This one comes close at 1863 watts into 4 ohms. Itís an Orion HCCA 3000.1DSPLX

https://youtu.be/4FeTTK3hDkA

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 234 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Zapco ZX-500.2

1730W x 1 @ 4 ohms.

Class A/B

<edit> For the record, my truck can get insanely loud with a pair of TM65mkIIs matched to a pair of Eric's HLCDs. ID, but Eric. I got new diaphragms from him.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 54 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This one comes close at 1863 watts into 4 ohms. Itís an Orion HCCA 3000.1DSPLX

Forgot about that beast
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24

Quote:
This one comes close at 1863 watts into 4 ohms. It’s an Orion HCCA 3000.1DSPLX

Orion for the win! That amp looks very solid. My only concern is having to do some serious upgrades to your electrical system in the car. I don't like putting in alternators and crap but I always do the Big 3 and run fat ofc copper wire.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25

How about an orion-hcca-hcca11000 good for 4650 watts into 4 ohms. Youíre going to need a whole separate engine and generator for that one though.

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.co...watts-rms.html

There is this Banda Banda ICE 4000 that does 2600 watts into 4 ohms.

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.co...ohm-2-ohm.html

This ORION XTR XTR4000.1D is rated for 1750 into 4 ohms but you know how they rate their amplifiers. https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.co...rms-1-ohm.html

ORION HCCA HCCA5000.1D
https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.co...watts-rms.html

I think this list should give you some choices thanks to the SPL crowd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement