Tm65 MKIII upgrade from virtus 602 midwoofer - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019   #1

Rep Power: 47 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Default Tm65 MKIII upgrade from virtus 602 midwoofer

I'm thinking about upgrading my Midwoofer to the stereo integrity or audiofrog gb60. I'm running the morel mt350 tweeters crossed at 2200 with the morel virtus midbass. Hoping someone can give me some good opinions on these guys. I see they have a high fs but looks like people can still cross them at 80 without problems. I'm wondering do these put out decent midbass at high volumes?
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 104 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Tm65 MKIII upgrade from virtus 602 midwoofer

Very simply, yes.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Theslaking For This Useful Post:
Electrodynamic (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019   #3

Rep Power: 45 ManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enough

Serious question, are the tm65s in the same league as the GBs? The price would suggest they are not
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 43 dsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enough

Some good reads here on the MKlls. Iím still breaking my MKllls in but pretty impressed so far
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...0-2.html?amp=1
dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dsquared For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 99 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
Serious question, are the tm65s in the same league as the GBs? The price would suggest they are not
Nope in my opinion
ToNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #6

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

I am guessing the gb60 is still a better speaker than the mkiii's and I own the mkiii's. But, for the price of $330, the TM's hold their own compared to the gb60's at their $800 price. I don't think you will get 2.4x the speaker out of the gb60's.

Even in Justin's Zazzi's report of the mkii vs the gb60 that was one of his conclusions. The mkiii's are better than the mkii's so that gap ideally would have narrowed.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...tm65-mkii.html

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
jdunk54nl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jdunk54nl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019   #7

Rep Power: 62 pw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enoughpw91686 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
I am guessing the gb60 is still a better speaker than the mkiii's and I own the mkiii's. But, for the price of $330, the TM's hold their own compared to the gb60's at their $800 price. I don't think you will get 2.4x the speaker out of the gb60's.

Even in Justin's Zazzi's report of the mkii vs the gb60 that was one of his conclusions. The mkiii's are better than the mkii's so that gap ideally would have narrowed.
the mkiii looks to be better than the mkii for 2-way duty, but what about in a 3-way crossed anywhere under 500hz?

2004 Honda S2000 - Pioneer DEH-80prs active; Audiofrog gb15/gb60/gb10d2; PG Ti21600.5
2000 Toyota 4Runner sr5 4x4 - in progress
pw91686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #8

Rep Power: 47 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I'm able to get a really good deal on the gb60s. Still will be more money that the tm65s. So I should probably get the gb60s if I can swing it?
Old 07-04-2019   #9

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw91686 View Post
the mkiii looks to be better than the mkii for 2-way duty, but what about in a 3-way crossed anywhere under 500hz?
I think at that point it just comes down to price and how much do you want to spend.

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
Old 07-04-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post

I just read the review he did. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 07-04-2019   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
I'm able to get a really good deal on the gb60s. Still will be more money that the tm65s. So I should probably get the gb60s if I can swing it?

If it were me, I would have to be able to get some gb60's nearly new for around $400 to be able to justify the extra money if I paid full price for the tm65's. But this decision sounds like it is ultimately going to come down to price ,and that is something only you can decide.

I got in on one of the SI sales on the tm65's and paid less than $400 for my tm65's and m25 tweeters. That left me enough money to buy an amp that better matched my goals and buy a Dayton DSP for my wife's suv.

Old 07-04-2019   #12

I know I'm all question but do you think both these are an upgrade from the morel virtus I'm currently running. I'm sure the gb60s are. I don't have much to compare these woofers to. I had the morel tempo ultra before these.
Old 07-04-2019   #13

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

The TM65 mk III is a really good midrange and midbass driver but it hasnít been tested against the GB60 since Nick made changes to the TM65 to work better in a 2-way setup. If you were doing a 3-way, Iíd say go with the TM65 but if youíre going with a 2-way and donít want to second guess yourself, Iíd suggest you take the deal on the GB60, since everyone considers it to be one of the best 2-way mids.

But Iíd also be remiss to mention that you should let us know what is wrong with your Morels. Iím not familiar with them but if your install isnít optimal, you can put the best drivers in and it still wonít sound as good as it should.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
The TM65 mk III is a really good midrange and midbass driver but it hasn’t been tested against the GB60 since Nick made changes to the TM65 to work better in a 2-way setup. If you were doing a 3-way, I’d say go with the TM65 but if you’re going with a 2-way and don’t want to second guess yourself, I’d suggest you take the deal on the GB60, since everyone considers it to be one of the best 2-way mids.

But I’d also be remiss to mention that you should let us know what is wrong with your Morels. I’m not familiar with them but if your install isn’t optimal, you can put the best drivers in and it still won’t sound as good as it should.
Thanks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the mids I have. Maybe could use a little more midbass. I have them crossed at 70 on the left and 75 on the right to get them to be acoustically at 80.
They sound pretty good. I guess I just wanna try something new.
Old 07-04-2019   #15

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Then get the GB60 so you donít have to wonder. Unfortunately, if you get the itch again, youíll need to switch to a 3-way as the GB60 is one of the best 6.5s. Frankly the TM65 mk III is right there too.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Then get the GB60 so you don’t have to wonder. Unfortunately, if you get the itch again, you’ll need to switch to a 3-way as the GB60 is one of the best 6.5s. Frankly the TM65 mk III is right there too.
I did a 3 way in my last car. Liked it allot. Don't have the fabrication skills to add a mid in this car yet. I'd have to glass my pillars to get any kind of mid I think. It's the newest car I've owned and making payments. Once I have the car for awhile I'll goto town.
Old 07-05-2019   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 48 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw91686 View Post
From Nick himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
The awesome midbass performance is still there with the new mkIII version as was the previous mkII version but the frequency range between 1,000 and 10,000 is massively improved with the mkIII. The new mkIII version is extremely clean all the way from 45 Hz up to over 9,000 Hz in-car. The previous version had cone breakup at/around 2,000/2,500 Hz. And the new carbon fiber mkIII is a solid 2 to 3 dB more efficient than the previous version so it is louder of the box all the way up through its total output capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
... the question of the higher Fs so here is the answer:

The previous mkII version had an Fs in the 75 Hz region and they would play down into the high 30 Hz region in-vehicle. They had a lot of bass, let alone midbass. Many people who have had midbass drivers capable of playing well below where a midbass driver normally plays and they use that ability by high-passing them very low (below 50 Hz, even 30 Hz) know that the 6.5's will tear apart your doors.

Since 99.99% of our customers use subwoofers we decided to stiffen up the suspension on the mkIII's to limit its lower bandwidth to the 50 Hz region on up when used in a vehicle. And in stiffening the suspension the new mkIII driver is even more mechanically durable when additional power is applied. Free air resonance changed by 20 Hz from 75 Hz to 95 Hz and the in-vehicle response shows exactly what we were after - the mkIII's play very well from 55/60 Hz on up to 10,000 Hz. Substantial overall bandwidth improvement over the mkII and there's also above a 3+ dB increase in sensitivity over the mkIII with it landing a solid 91 dB at 2.83 V.
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 961 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

There's another part of this too. Survive-ability. Audiofrog has proven to me (in my own builds) that the speakers are made to last. No weathering inside a car door, not even a change in color of a speaker terminal over the years. I'm starting to realize as I pull my old equipment out of various cars that weather plays a big factor in whether or not those old pieces of equipment are even suitable to go back in another car again. With the Audiofrog parts, the question isn't even one that comes up.

So for me, despite my love for SI and other brands, I'm going to start looking at Audiofrog first just for the durability component.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

I was like the OP and on the fence with both SI and the GBs. I have heard good things about the SI, just never heard them. I have had the chance to hear the GBs. They come as advertised. As mentioned, there is a price difference but I think for me it will be worth putting a few extra dollars on the GB60. It would be nice to see a real world SI version 3 vs GB60 showdown so we can answer the questions that many have.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 48 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
There's another part of this too. Survive-ability. Audiofrog has proven to me (in my own builds) that the speakers are made to last. No weathering inside a car door, not even a change in color of a speaker terminal over the years.
Havenít had my mk2 installed long enough to say ďprovenĒ yet (only 1 year). But the TM65ís do have built in rain guard and large durable terminals. So Iím sure they were designed with survive-ability in mind.

I have mk3 pair laying around that Iíll eventually install in place of the mk2. Iíll report back any differences I observe. Iím using them in a 3-way setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019   #21

Rep Power: 45 ManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
There's another part of this too. Survive-ability. Audiofrog has proven to me (in my own builds) that the speakers are made to last. No weathering inside a car door, not even a change in color of a speaker terminal over the years.
Haven’t had my mk2 installed long enough to say “proven” yet (only 1 year). But the TM65’s do have built in rain guard and large durable terminals. So I’m sure they were designed with survive-ability in mind.

I have mk3 pair laying around that I’ll eventually install in place of the mk2. I’ll report back any differences I observe. I’m using them in a 3-way setup.
The rain guard on the tm65 is useless. You still need some type of home made foam rain guard
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019   #22

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I'm gonna get the frogs. If it wasn't for being able to get a good deal I would have went with the Si's. Love this forum. I'll post some pics after I get em installed.
Old 07-05-2019   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
The rain guard on the tm65 is useless. You still need some type of home made foam rain guard
I donít know about useless. Probably dependent on each userís door. The point was that they had weather/survive-ability in mind when designing the woofer. If you ďrequireĒ a rain guard youíll most likely ďrequireĒ one despite any woofer you install in your door.

OP where in SD are you? Shoot me a PM and maybe we can link up to hear the mk2ís.
Old 07-05-2019   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
Quote:
I don’t know about useless. Probably dependent on each user’s door. The point was that they had weather/survive-ability in mind when designing the woofer. If you “require” a rain guard you’ll most likely “require” one despite any woofer you install in your door.

OP where in SD are you? Shoot me a PM and maybe we can link up to hear the mk2’s.
I'm up in Poway. I might hit you up sometime.
Old 07-05-2019   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Cool. Live in Chula Vista but work in Mira Mesa / Miramar area. So not too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement