Which headunit brand has the best BT phone quality? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Which headunit brand has the best BT phone quality?

I run a Pioneer 501ex and am tired of getting complaints that my BT sucks when talking to people. Putting the mic right to my mouth doesn't seem to help either. They say I sound garbled and broken up and that's not the first time I've heard of a Pioneer being this way. I know Kenwood is good but have heard mixed reviews about the quality of their middle of the road units. I just need six outputs to feed my Helix. Not looking to spend too much. With a Helix dsp are stronger preouts (over 2v) even something to worry these days in the form of noise floor? Just seems like the prices jump way up when output voltage goes up with very little other difference.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 57 jonah1810 will become famous soon enoughjonah1810 will become famous soon enoughjonah1810 will become famous soon enoughjonah1810 will become famous soon enoughjonah1810 will become famous soon enoughjonah1810 will become famous soon enough

But is it your bluetooth? Do they sound garbled as well?it is sounding more one way which makes more sense to me that it would be the mic that's causing you issues.
jonah1810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Which headunit brand has the best BT phone quality?

You know what, you're totally right. I've heard it's hit and miss for some people I've talked to with Pioneer units. The mic could easily just be crap. My buddy has a really nice Kenwood I sold him a few years back because I liked the Pioneer UI better (Kenwood had a loud fan too and previous Pioneer didn't...but my current Pioneer does too so...) but might plug his mic in and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference I'll just put his Kenwood in the dash and pay him for it since he can't use it in his new truck with the fancy headunit with EVERYTHING tied into it.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

The mic positioning could be contributing too. You can move it closer to, or further from reflective surfaces to see if you can find a spot that doesn't cause so much trouble. If putting the mic to your mouth still gives you trouble, try putting it up against the windshield to see if it's any different.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 626 BigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond reputeBigAl205 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to install car phones back in the day (yeah I'm old), and I can confirm that mic placement is crucial. They are designed to be somewhat directional, and I've found the best way to aim them is with the element parallel with the headliner. I usually mounted them just to the left of the sun visor with the mic element facing back away from the windshield.

BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Thanks Al I'll give that a try.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

I have my kenwood ddx9905s mic on the top of my steering wheel column (in front of the dash) with it pointed at my face. I haven't had any complaints about its quality and google hasn't had an issue understanding me.

Kenwood DDX9905s, TWK-88
Memphis PRX1500.1, Alpine PDX-F6, Eclipse EA4100
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Rep Power: 15 mcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enoughmcgsxr will become famous soon enough

In my cabriolet the mic is up at the headliner by the rear view.

No complaints from folks who have phoned me.

JVC entry level mechless HU.

Mild basshead from Canada
mcgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 164 94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough94VG30DE will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 94VG30DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
[...] I've found the best way to aim them is with the element parallel with the headliner. I usually mounted them just to the left of the sun visor with the mic element facing back away from the windshield.
I had mic with ^this^ position set up in my IS300 with something like this for a HU and had no problems:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT5...U.html?tp=5684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_ View Post
Well, if there's anything we've got extra of in New Zealand, it's sheep...
94VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Rep Power: 8 XSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enough

pioneer nex 5000 no issues and my wifes kenwood 9303 is good too, so lets hope its the mic, the cable on them is usually paper thin and can be cut with sharp words!

10 psi boosted Tacoma// skar 6x8// tweeter unhooked skar tweeters //silk dome skar//live nex 5000 //Blaupunkt 1500.4 //skar vd-10 x2 // jbl gtx 500 x2 // 200 amp alt// 2 gauge big 3 //agm 24f // sound deadened
XSVTOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement