safely testing an old bigass amp? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 Blorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enough

Default safely testing an old bigass amp?

I've got a nice PG in the basement that I picked up used here and never got around to installing. It's a xenon x200x4 and is a beast. I've tried connecting it to a spare car battery and it just sucks that thing dry in no time. However, in the time I was able to listen to it, I found that some of the toggle switches were not working cleanly.

How would you guys recommend I go about safely testing this thing before putting it in use? I am thinking of putting it in the truck and letting it abuse the pioneer 6x9's that have only seen the stock head unit so far.

Appreciate any advice - even if it's to say leave this thing on the shelf and go get a cheap new class D.
Blorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019   #2

Rep Power: 0 carver85 will become famous soon enoughcarver85 will become famous soon enoughcarver85 will become famous soon enoughcarver85 will become famous soon enoughcarver85 will become famous soon enoughcarver85 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: safely testing an old bigass amp?

Could be dirty/corroded pots. With the amp unhooked just cycle each pot 10-15 times, blow some compressed air through it, power it up and see if that helps. Should be able to use the battery to test results. No need to have gain cranked up for this. I'm running xenons as well and just went through this process. Seemed to remedy the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
carver85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to carver85 For This Useful Post:
Blorton (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 237 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Those Xenons were great amps.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 Blorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enoughBlorton will become famous soon enough

Thanks Carver. I'm glad to hear yours were able to clean up. I happened to remember the old days of using contact cleaner for tv tuners and volume knobs, so I ordered a plastic-safe one and will give that a shot as well.

As far as cranking gains goes - my thinking was to try to put some load on the different channels and make sure there wouldn't be any thermal issues. I suppose I could just power it off jumper cables to the running truck in the garage and hook it up to some 8ohm home speakers I have - piss off the neighbors.
Blorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #5

Rep Power: 82 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I used this stuff on the pots of a very old amplifier I have and it cleaned them right up. https://www.parts-express.com/caig-d...straw--341-200

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement