I want to stream music services through my usb - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26

Rep Power: 9 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: I want to stream music services through my usb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
Now If they have removed that "safety" feature that locks you out of your phone while connected I'd consider using it again.
Are there different versions of AA or perhaps was this earlier on? I'm using it with my OEM HU. Currently when my phone is connected and AA is running I am presented with a black "Android Auto" splash screen, however you can swipe up to "unlock" the phone. Full access to camera, text messages, email, etc. The only thing that redirects to AA is Google maps, which I think was mentioned above.
ajt976 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27

Rep Power: 66 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
Quote:
Now If they have removed that "safety" feature that locks you out of your phone while connected I'd consider using it again.
Are there different versions of AA or perhaps was this earlier on? I'm using it with my OEM HU. Currently when my phone is connected and AA is running I am presented with a black "Android Auto" splash screen, however you can swipe up to "unlock" the phone. Full access to camera, text messages, email, etc. The only thing that redirects to AA is Google maps, which I think was mentioned above.
That sounds more like it. The versions I've used in the past gave you a splash screen and would not let you access the phone. At all. You could send text and take and make calls through voice command and that was it. I hated it.
drop1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28

Rep Power: 9 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That sounds more like it. The versions I've used in the past gave you a splash screen and would not let you access the phone. At all. You could send text and take and make calls through voice command and that was it. I hated it.
Yessir! I don't do it too often, but sometimes there's a need to open up the phone for something or other. I get that there are times that this may be easier/desired.

I do still find myself using the microphone more and more though, it's just convenient since there is a VOX button on my steering wheel that can initiate it.

That being said, I actually really enjoy AA, it's one of my favorite features of the new truck and not one that I thought I'd be too thrilled about. Looking forward to the updates and future versions to make it better.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #29

Rep Power: 4 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

Personally, I don't use my phone for "local" music - I just put that music on a little mini-thumb drive that stays in the car at all times. The car supports voice commands, playlists, etc - and it just better at playing local music than an AndroidAuto music app. Although, if you car doesn't support that type of local music stroage/access, I guess AndroidAuto would be good for that. I mainly use AndroidAuto for Waze (better than Google Maps!) and Amazon Music and that's it. I find AndroidAuto apps to be very limited in function. For example, getting a full turn-by-turn list in your navigation app (like Waze) - you can do it on the real Waze interface, but not the AndroidAuto verion of Waze. Even with Amazon music, you can only select "Recent" playlists - you can't actually select playlists from AndroidAuto - just ones that you recently found and played from the real app interface. Everything is just so limited and hard to use compared to the regular app interface.
jtrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #30

Rep Power: 66 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Personally, I don't use my phone for "local" music - I just put that music on a little mini-thumb drive that stays in the car at all times. The car supports voice commands, playlists, etc - and it just better at playing local music than an AndroidAuto music app. Although, if you car doesn't support that type of local music stroage/access, I guess AndroidAuto would be good for that. I mainly use AndroidAuto for Waze (better than Google Maps!) and Amazon Music and that's it. I find AndroidAuto apps to be very limited in function. For example, getting a full turn-by-turn list in your navigation app (like Waze) - you can do it on the real Waze interface, but not the AndroidAuto verion of Waze. Even with Amazon music, you can only select "Recent" playlists - you can't actually select playlists from AndroidAuto - just ones that you recently found and played from the real app interface. Everything is just so limited and hard to use compared to the regular app interface.
I use a thumb drives as well. My stock radio sees it as a searchable file. Its nice.

The only reason I mentioned playing music from the phone was I was trying to use the usb and it would only access the songs I had stored, it wouldnt play streams.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #31

Rep Power: 4 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

The other problem with using voice commands is that a lot of times, I'm not sure what I'm looking for. :-) I just want to browse a list of "stations" or "playlists" - so voice commands are kind of useless in that situation, which makes playing some "random" music tough. Sometimes, there is just no replacement for simply scrolling through a list. :-) I think I'm capable of determining when it's safe to do so - hate that AndroidAuto is trying to be my "savior" by not letting me do what I want.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

You could just tell it to play something random

Android Auto now has a setting where you can tell it not to lock your phone. You can just pick it up and turn it on. No unlock necessary.

Kenwood DDX9905s, TWK-88
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 Dremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enough

I didn't even know streaming through USB was a thing.

I use an oldie but goodie head unit and just plug the phone in via headphone to RCA cable to aux input. 😆 Every time I've searched for really nice new aftermarket heat units I haven't seen any, but it's been a minute.

I loved Spotify, but after trying Tidal I had to switch. Night and day difference. I hate paying so much for it, but what you gonna do? I did lose a couple songs but I gained some too. Agree with others that the UI and search leave a lot to be desired.

My Discord is Dremaza#5580
Clarion DRZ9255 + NZ500 - AVI BSM-160SET - Peerless SLS 6.5 - IDMAX12 D4 v2 - DLS Ultimate A2+A3+A6
Dremgragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34

Has everyone else reveived the new AndroidAuto update? I stil haven't got the updated version, and no matter how may ways I try to "force" it to activate like I've seen online, it just won't do it (I never can get the "try the new android auto" option to show up in settings... Would love to see the updated version.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35

I am still patiently awaiting the update. I thought it was supposed to be rolling out last month but haven't seen anything just yet.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Has everyone else reveived the new AndroidAuto update? I stil haven't got the updated version, and no matter how may ways I try to "force" it to activate like I've seen online, it just won't do it (I never can get the "try the new android auto" option to show up in settings... Would love to see the updated version.
I have. It's a different layout same functionality. I think you have the newest app. It's Google only rolling it out slowly.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37

Yeah, I have the newest app and have tried all of the "tricks" that people say will work to get it on the updated version, but none of them work for me (clearning cache/data, rebooting phone and then checking settings for the switch to use the newest version).

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait patiently. :-)
Old 1 Week Ago   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

mine went through last week and just prompted me on my HU if I wanted to use the new androidauto. Different UI but nothing else seems much different. I found the option to auto resume media (which i believe existed previously). It worked the first time for Tidal and thought maybe it would finally work. But nope. it still just forgets and you have to start playlist all over. Or load it on your phone and hit play from there to start on the song you stopped on.

Kenwood DDX9905s, TWK-88
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #39

I wanted to come back and update in case anyone reads this.

I got android auto up and running. I have the newest version. It looks infinity better. It sounds better than the bt. Tidal through AA is particularly nice.

The great part is I am typing this from my phone as I'm listening through android auto.

This is what AA should have always been. Now if they would just let us stream video again life would be swell.

I appreciate all the recommendations to go back and try AA again. Being able to do all my searching from the dash screen Is great.

I have a few complaints.

1. No search bar on the screen.

2. Selecting a playlist you can chose the song. It just starts.

3. I really don't have any other complaints except no video.

4. Found another. I wish I could control my stock usb port from inside AA. Sucks that o have to back out to access it.

It looks so good compared to fords stock. Feels like I have a new radio 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190814_193158_1565829131932.jpg (782.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 1 Week Ago   #40

Glad you gave it another shot and that you got the update! I'm still waiting for mine...

Per #4, I was just thinking that today. It'd be really handy to have a file explorer of some kind available in AA that could also see other media connected to the HU, maybe even the CD player (gasp). Would be nice if you could stay in AA without the need to switch back and forth.
Old 1 Week Ago   #41

Really looking forward to the AA update. It's a nice improvement over the original version.
Old 1 Week Ago   #42

Rep Power: 0 PaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enough

I've started using AA since the new version came out. It sounds better than I remember. Surprisingly, I can't really say that it sounds any worse than my Flac files through the stock SD card player my car has. I don't know if AA improved the handling of audio or Android itself improved their audio driver, but I seem to remember Android Auto streaming music sounding pretty bad when I first got the car in November. I tried AA again when I heard about the update. Need to do more listening.

I just wish Tidal behaved more like Google Play Music with regard to playlists.
PaperLion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #43

For those waiting on the update, mine just popped up on the phone while I was doing setup. I almost didn't even notice it. You guys may want to uninstall from the phone and reinstall and see if that gets you there.

Also, I feel like its dumb to not have a touch screen search bar on any media these days.

I do agree that I think it sounds better than before from memory. Every bit as good as my flac files on my sd as well but they are being fed into the stock head.

I'm just glad it has updated graphics. The stock for graphics get old after a couple years lol
Old 1 Week Ago   #44

I tried everything to get mine to let me use the updated version - no can do. I even updated some database with an SQL command that someone said will force the update. Nope... Will keep waiting I guess...
Old 1 Week Ago   #45

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

There rolling it out slowly. Not much you can do to force it. Clearing data on the app will force it to check but that's it.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #46

Rep Power: 0 PaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enoughPaperLion will become famous soon enough

Can anyone else comment on the sound quality? I took a short drive a bit ago and was listening to Emancipator - Baralku streaming from Tidal. Really quite amazed at the SQ. + Google Play Music and Tidal support true gapless playback through AA, which is just really slick. The only real drawbacks I can think of at this point are: must plug in (keep forgetting my stupid phone in my car even though the system warns me because I turn the volume down when I park), no ff or rewind, no track bitrate info, limited metadata info, and limited to 48kHz (I really can't hear the benefit of higher sampling rate, though, and AA supports 24bit depth). That's all i can come up with at the moment.

I think this is going to pretty much eliminate my consideration for using a DAP as a direct source to my DSP, which would kill bluetooth functionality for me.
PaperLion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #47

I constantly leave my phone in the car when using AA too. :-) It goes inside my armrest console, where my USB ports are - so it's way too easy to forget.
Old 1 Week Ago   #48

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

i have a motoZ with android. Hooked it up to a USb OTG adapter. Streamed spotify just fine.
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #49

So, last night AA worked great. This morning I had to fight to get my truck to see it.
The only thing that worked was changing usb sockets.
Old 1 Week Ago   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
i have a motoZ with android. Hooked it up to a USb OTG adapter. Streamed spotify just fine.
Are you sure that it is actually streaming through the USB port and just through bluetooth? :-)

I honestly have never tried as I don't keep music stored on my phone (I just keep it on a thumb drive that stays in the cars USB port at all times).

Just wanted to make sure that you confirmed that it streamed via the USB connection and not bluetooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement