Scotchbrite; glue or staples ? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 Braindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enough

Default Scotchbrite; glue or staples ?

So I have started using Scotchbrite pads as sound insulation/deadener in my speakers and have found it to work quite well, as expected. The next question is how to keep it in place, glue or staples? A third idea also keeps popping into my vacuum chamber, and that is using tension, or more accurately, compression. By getting the Scotchbrite in a large sheet and cutting it properly, it should fit and hold itself in place just by using an interference fit. Basically you cut it one or two inches larger than the inside circumference of the box and squeeze it in, it should hold in by itself. Another idea just hit me,; Velcro !
Problem is I have not found any large sheets of Scotchbrite bigger than 8" x 11".

Remember when making foil headwear to keep the shiny side facing out, and the dull side in (pun not intended).
Braindead63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 957 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Scotchbrite; glue or staples ?

Why on earth use an expensive material like Scotchbrite pads though? I line my boxes on the inside with denim/jute radiant barrier, and I use Sprayway Fast Tack 92 which I get from a local upholstery supply store for a fair price. Same I use on CCF, carpet, etc. (pretty much anything except vinyl which gets HHR landau roof cement.)

Are you after surface area? Or wanting the fibers to wiggle to dissipate the backwave (thus making the box sound larger)?

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanson For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,215 Posts
Rep Power: 454 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

when DIY goes too far..

Just use closed cell foam. Its cheaper and better

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 0 Braindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enoughBraindead63 will become famous soon enough

I just happened to have a bunch of sheets laying around and used them. I like to try stuff and see what happens.

Remember when making foil headwear to keep the shiny side facing out, and the dull side in (pun not intended).
Braindead63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 57 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Those water soluble type of packing peanuts probably would change the sound...
It would be interesting to know for sure.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 957 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead63 View Post
I just happened to have a bunch of sheets laying around and used them. I like to try stuff and see what happens.

I can definitely appreciate applications like this. This is how I found the radiant barrier to work so well. Well, if you have the ability to measure it, I'd say make a box without it, measure, and then with it and measure, and let's see what it does. As far as attachment method, Scotchbrite is an unknown medium so I'd say use contact adhesive and mild stapling (J.I.C.) and see where she goes...hopefully nowhere.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement