Sonic Barrier from Parts Express - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Default Sonic Barrier from Parts Express

Anyone used Sonicbarrier MX4 from Parts Express? If so, what has your experience with it been? On Sunday I had to remove my door card as it sounded like the midbass was making terrible noise (think it's hitting the door card at high volume). Anyway, with the door card removed I noticed that the MX4 looks to have been melting inside my door.

There are spots on the bottom of the door card where it has dripped, as well as areas it looks like it melted and started seeping down. What's most disappointing to me is it's not even been installed more than a year, might even be only about 9 months or so and on the inner door skin. It's showing as rated to 160F, which even taking into account humidity in VA and temperatures in the car, I highly doubt it's exceeded 160F. I work from home, so even on the hottest days, my cars sitting in the garage in the shade, not once has it been sat outside so day in the heat. I had planned to install more in the trunk, but will likely look elsewhere now.

Sent Parts Express an email Sunday with some pictures, but have so far heard nothing back which is also a little disappointing. I'm not expecting my money back at this point, but at least some acknowledgement that it shouldn't have melted. Now I get to plan a day or two to try and clean it all off before it gunk's everything up.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,177 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Sonic Barrier from Parts Express

ive heard of similar reports on this stuff as well as the few other brands that have their logo on the same product. You can see an example on my websites reference information section of one of those brands where its all dripping off of the roof of a jeep. Best thing to do to clean it up may be to try to freeze it and chip it off

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
naiku (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

I took a few pictures that I'll post later, not looking forward to cleaning it off regardless of whichever option I use, I'd bet it sucks to remove it.

Some old luggage

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
I took a few pictures that I'll post later, not looking forward to cleaning it off regardless of whichever option I use, I'd bet it sucks to remove it.
its miserable to remove. 2 options.. get computer duster and freeze it by spraying it with the can upside down and chipping it off. Or go the opposite route and use heat to get most of it off.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 80 willis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enough

I had some sound skins do the same thing, it is no fun at all trying to get that shit off. Sucks I have two boxes of MX4 that I will most definitely not be using.
willis36 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

I was just watching a Sarah N Tuned video on youtube and she was removing some deadener with dry ice, but it was not a vertical surface. But it came off pretty easy.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me cringe knowing what woulda likely happened if that car was a darker color and spent its life out in the sun like my truck does. Sorry to hear about your bad luck Ian. For what it's worth Noico held up fine for a cheap deadener for two years in the doors of my black Grand Cherokee (couple pieces on outer skin with black on the other side) and it lived outside with sun hitting it. I'd still pay up and get something quality like Resonix next time I buy deadener especially since Skizer is viewing this thread as I type this

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Makes me cringe knowing what woulda likely happened if that car was a darker color and spent its life out in the sun like my truck does. Sorry to hear about your bad luck Ian. For what it's worth Noico held up fine for a cheap deadener for two years in the doors of my black Grand Cherokee (couple pieces on outer skin with black on the other side) and it lived outside with sun hitting it. I'd still pay up and get something quality like Resonix next time I buy deadener especially since Skizer is viewing this thread as I type this
i got my eye on you

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

I used a heat gun and a plastic scrapper. It just takes a while. I used goof off to get rid of residue. Worked better than 7 or 8 other products. I'm like "hey I use goof off to clean tar off siding, it outta work on this" and it did. Heating it up to the perfect temp is key. It will release and peel right (mostly) off. If your to hot it melts and to cold it doesn't come off cleanly in big pieces.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Theslaking For This Useful Post:
naiku (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Sucks I have two boxes of MX4 that I will most definitely not be using.
I'm hoping to hear back from Parts Express, it was recommended to me by a friend who used it without any problems, so maybe mine was a crappy batch.

Maybe cut a piece off and let it sit on some newspaper in your car for a few days to get an idea of if it will melt in your or not.

Some old luggage

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
For what it's worth Noico held up fine for a cheap deadener for two years in the doors of my black Grand Cherokee (couple pieces on outer skin with black on the other side) and it lived outside with sun hitting it. I'd still pay up and get something quality like Resonix next time I buy deadener especially since Skizer is viewing this thread as I type this
Guilty here as well. I used a bunch of Noico 80 mil, it has held up for years in this 100+ south texas heat.

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 "stealth audio"
DSR-1 / Alpine V9 / CDT-ES02 / Alpine S69 / (2) Dayton DCS165 vented
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapture View Post
Guilty here as well. I used a bunch of Noico 80 mil, it has held up for years in this 100+ south texas heat.
I'm sure not envying you right now. Dewpoint is what will ultimately take you down!

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Parts Express got back to me and are going to refund me which is pretty cool of them. They also said that they have been in contact with the manufacturer to raise the melting point and that future shipments will be the updated version.

I found my original receipt, Dec 18th last year and I think I finally installed it in January or February this year, so 8 months.

Some old luggage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement