4th Gen Ram Experts, Speakers in Dash Questions. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 16 EmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enough

Default 4th Gen Ram Experts, Speakers in Dash Questions.

I have a 2012 Ram that I was trying to decide between building a set of pods for a Scanspeak 10F with Scan Beryllium tweeter, or installing the 10F in the factory corner dash location with the Scan tweeter in a aluminum pod mounted to the speaker grill above the midrange. The more I look at installs I would like to keep the speakers either hidden or looking as stock as possible.

I was also considering the 10f in the factory location and the Scan tweet in the sailpanel.

Aesthetically the sail panel would be ideal to keep things looking "stock". Does anyone see any blatant issues? Suggestions? How does the factory dash location work for a midrange location?
EmoJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 37 locoface will become famous soon enoughlocoface will become famous soon enoughlocoface will become famous soon enoughlocoface will become famous soon enoughlocoface will become famous soon enoughlocoface will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 4th Gen Ram Experts, Speakers in Dash Questions.

I'd look into the Audiofrog GS25, it will play up to 20k excellent for dash locations firing up to glass.

SQ Mazda 3 - Audiofrog GB10, GB25, GB60, GB12D2 - Mosconi Zero 3 - Arc Audio SE Amps - Helix DSP Pro Mk ii - FiiO X7 mk ii

2018 MECA California Street Install Champion
2018 MECA California Street SQL 2nd Place
locoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 16 EmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enoughEmoJackson will become famous soon enough

I have the 10F's currently, not trying to add more gear at the moment lol.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 306 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

The dash locations in the 4th gen Ram work quite well for midrange duties when it comes to overall presentation. It's been confirmed that the 10f will drop into the dash location of the 4th gen Ram but make sure you have some kind of enclosure around the back of it so the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't cause issues. I've heard neoprene works well. Will just have to experiment. For the tweets on axis in pods in dash corners over the grille works amazingly well. Ultimately you'd just have to try it both ways to see which you like best. I agree sails would look better and I'm also a big stickler for looking like nothing happened in the way of car audio. Tweets in dash corners are the one exception I'll make in that regard. For what it's worth I'm currently in my 3rd 4th gen Ram since it first came out in 09.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!

Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:24 PM..
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the tweeter being on top of the grill potentially interfering with sound traveling from the 10F. Also, is there a tried and true method for doing time alignment when accounting for a speaker reflecting off the glass?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 autokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enough

I had the 10F installed in factory dash location (2011 Ram 2500) and a Dyn t-380 in the sail panel on axis....I liked that set up a lot!
autokraftgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
I had the 10F installed in factory dash location (2011 Ram 2500) and a Dyn t-380 in the sail panel on axis....I liked that set up a lot!
What kind of treatment did you do for the dash locations? I've read everything from "Pack it with foam" to "Make an Enclosure".
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 autokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enoughautokraftgt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJackson View Post
What kind of treatment did you do for the dash locations? I've read everything from "Pack it with foam" to "Make an Enclosure".
Kept it simple, packed it with poly then mounted the speaker....sounded amazing
autokraftgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by autokraftgt View Post
Kept it simple, packed it with poly then mounted the speaker....sounded amazing
Any photos of your install?
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 373 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about the tweeter being on top of the grill potentially interfering with sound traveling from the 10F. Also, is there a tried and true method for doing time alignment when accounting for a speaker reflecting off the glass?
TA the same way as you always would, measure from the center of the speaker (as close to the voicecoil as possible) to the listening positon. You can't do anything about the reflections, the reflected sound will arrive the same amount of time behind the direct signal regardless of your delay.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 306 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just don't mount the tweeter directly over the hole in the grille and you should be fine. On the "enclosure" just make sure the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't interfere with sound coming from the front of the cone. Packing with foam could work too. Don't see how packing an area with poly would do much good for rear wave separation but if it worked for them then good deal.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Just don't mount the tweeter directly over the hole in the grille and you should be fine. On the "enclosure" just make sure the sound coming from the back of the cone doesn't interfere with sound coming from the front of the cone. Packing with foam could work too. Don't see how packing an area with poly would do much good for rear wave separation but if it worked for them then good deal.
I'll try to mount the tweeter either as far back into the corner of the dash/windshield or I'll go to the sail panel.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 TomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enough

I have Esotar 430s in the dash with tweeters in the sails in my 2015 Ram and it sounds phenomenal. I still need to find someone to do some serious tuning because I keep thinking there is more I can get out of the system.

"Buy Once, Cry Once. Then enjoy it for a long time!!!"
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
I have Esotar 430s in the dash with tweeters in the sails in my 2015 Ram and it sounds phenomenal. I still need to find someone to do some serious tuning because I keep thinking there is more I can get out of the system.
Photos of install?
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 TomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enoughTomT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Photos of install?
It looks stock except for surface mount tweeters.

Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Quote:
It looks stock except for surface mount tweeters.
Did you deaden your doors? Treat the pocket the 10f sits in? Mounting surface treatment?
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Rep Power: 4 Phobos223 will become famous soon enoughPhobos223 will become famous soon enoughPhobos223 will become famous soon enoughPhobos223 will become famous soon enoughPhobos223 will become famous soon enoughPhobos223 will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, not a ram guy here but curious about this thread for my GMC... I mounted some GB15s in the dash locations and they sound good but am curious about the poly fill around the speakers... Is this the preferred technique? There is quite a bit of room back there would I just fill it all up? Sorry for the newbie question am still learning!
Phobos223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Did you deaden your doors? Treat the pocket the 10f sits in? Mounting surface treatment?
I had the whole thing done by a shop. Doors are definitely treated, not sure about the dash openings.

Old 6 Days Ago   #19

Quote:
I had the whole thing done by a shop. Doors are definitely treated, not sure about the dash openings.
Mind sharing a photo of how the tweeter is mounted in the corner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement