DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Stinger Elev8 head unit users?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jroo 
#1 ·
Large screen, variable digital out, 4 camera inputs, versatile installation options, SiriusXM control, this unit seems to offer quite a bit. Any users here who would like to give their experiences? I sent the following questions to their tech support, but if anyone here knows any of the answers, all the better.

Does the unit support 24/192 FLAC files?
What are the limitations regarding the number of files and folders that can be accessed?
Can USB storage be used on both USB inputs, or is the one only used for Android Auto/Carplay?
Any possibility there will be an update supporting wireless Android Auto?
Is the 5 foot cable the longest possible? Seems like mounting the "brain" in the trunk might be useful.
Is the 15 band EQ functional when using the Toslink output? The Clarion units have their EQ disabled while using digital out, but would be nice to have some EQ control via head unit.
Is there any form of recording/saving video camera input?

Reactions: musicjeremy
#3 ·
I couldnt get much info on it back in nov. I was going to put a head unit in my wifes truck and looked at it. I even had a local stinger dealer that had no experience with it. They also sell alpine heads and said I was the first person to ask even though they had them in stock. When I emailed stinger they directed me to my local dealer and the dealer didnt touch them.

#4 ·
Thanks, that's unfortunate that info is scarce. I'm looking at the Pioneer dmh-c5500nex as well. My application is a 2019 Honda Ridgeline, the HU is simply too integrated to replace but it's an absolutely atrocious infotainment experience. I would mount the screen using custom hinges on top of the factory HU, so it can swing up out of the way if necessary.

I really think I prefer the Stinger but if it's got limited exposure in the wild that makes me gun shy.

#6 ·
I ended up going with a different head unit. I wanted something for my wife in Christmas. Seems like a great option, just very limited info and dealers. For a new head unit, I also didnt want to do internet and have to deal with any issues or returns. I dont think it would have any issues, but I didnt want to be the test case. What I figured out with the dealer near me. They are a big Alpine dealer. All of their demo cars, installer cars, and every customer I have seen is Alpine. Given the choice, I think they will push Alpine head as they trust it vs the Stinger. While I was asking, one of the installers basically said they hardly have returns or issues with any Alpine they sell especially with the large screen ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.