2-way setup using DEX PRS99: Best practices? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 DubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enough

Default 2-way setup using DEX PRS99: Best practices?

All,

Bit of a novella here, so bear with me...

I recently installed the JDM version of the Pioneer DEX PRS99 (I'm also the one who posted yesterday about the FM radio issues with this JDM deck).

Initially, when I bought all of this stuff years back (HAT Legatia tweeters, HAT Legatia L4 SEs, & HAT Legatia L8 SEs), I was going to be running a 3-way stage, but I ended up deciding to only use my tweeters and mid-basses for the present (due to life getting in the way, install difficulty in my '09 Jetta Sportwagen, etc.).

Eventually I'll place the L4s in the A-pillars, but for now they're staying in their boxes.

Anyway, when I was plugging everything into the HU, I figured that I'd use the "Low Range" RCAs for the mid bass, plug in the mid to the "Mid Range" RCAs (even though they're technically not present yet), tweeters to "High range", etc.

But while I was trying to run Auto TA, the process would hang when it reached the midrange. Looking at the manual (even though my particular setup isn't shown as an example) it seems like I NEED to have midranges attached to even use the Auto TA/EQ feature.

But in my case, that would mean hooking up the L8s to the midrange RCAs (leaving the "Low range" RCAs unattached), which seems counter-intuitive due to the frequency range the L8s can handle, and will be extra work for me once I get the L4s attached down the line (having to unbutton the Jetta dash is a PITA, and every time it's done is a chance that those damn plastic tabs they use will break).

Reading the forums yesterday, it sounds like many who own this HU feel that the auto TA/EQ leaves some things to be desired, anyway.

Should I just do all of the TA/EQ manually, or is it actually worth attaching the L8s to the midrange RCAs, and then adjust the frequency range manually (a "Custom N/W") before running the auto TA/EQ?

Thanks for any input!
DubScientist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: 2-way setup using DEX PRS99: Best practices?

You can still run 2-way without issues, but I think you do need to use the midrange outputs. This isn't a problem because you adjust your crossovers anyway, and I believe the midrange allows you to run the crossover filters appropriately for a 2-way. I may be wrong about it being the midrange outputs, it may be the low range, but either way one will work, I ran a 2-way with the P99 for quite a while. When hooked up correctly the auto TA/EQ will work just fine, but I never had great success with the auto tune, and always did it manually. You can run it 3-4 times and see if any of the tunes get you close, or just do it manually. Even if the auto tune gets you close, you'll want to make manual adjustments anyway.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 0 DubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enoughDubScientist will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the response, it aligns with what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure before I go through the hassle of popping the center of the VW dash again!
DubScientist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it'll work without issues, I just don't remember which outputs you need to use, but you've got a 50/50 shot, so it shouldn't be tough.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement