Age old question: ported single or sealed pair??? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 Heterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enough

Default Age old question: ported single or sealed pair???

Hello everyone. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm curious to get people's thoughts for my particular application. It's a minivan and the sub(s) will be mounted in a side panel near the left rear corner. The stock system does midbass really well (six 6x9s). I don't really bang out anymore but want to squeeze as much low end out of the package as possible.

I have two 10" Dayton ultimax subwoofers that model really well in small enclosures. I have enough volume on hand to run a single ported or two sealed. I'm leaning towards the sealed pair but the ported configuration nets another 3db at 40hz and 5 at 30hz! Neither configuration should exceed xmax but realistic port sizes probably mean compression and some chuffing at higher volumes. The sealed pair models dead flat with a little cabin gain, but gives up that low-low output that I enjoy, though I do worry about it sounding too fat or monotone as well.

Thank you for your input.
Heterosapian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Default Re: Age old question: ported single or sealed pair???

I would do sealed for the simplicity and nature of the Ultimax which leans towards sealed. Ported in a minivan is good but I'd choose a different sub if so.

As far as your concerns over the response, hopefully you will have some decent EQ capabilities in the system to tune it to your liking. Never had a sub that couldn't use at least a little bit of EQ.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Somewhat depends on musical tastes... (classical and pipe organs would benefit from a low frequency).
A passive radiator can mitigate some port volume issues as well as port noise.
Sealed boxes are also a common route to take.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 28 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

I struggled with this same question over the summer. I went from one sealed 12" to two sealed 12" subs. One sealed was simply not enough output. Two sealed is perfect. I have always preferred the sound of sealed. I should have at least tried a single sub ported though. My vote is two sealed.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
I would do sealed for the simplicity and nature of the Ultimax which leans towards sealed. Ported in a minivan is good but I'd choose a different sub if so.

As far as your concerns over the response, hopefully you will have some decent EQ capabilities in the system to tune it to your liking. Never had a sub that couldn't use at least a little bit of EQ.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
Yeah, modeling of the Ultimax, and its 19 mm Xmax, strongly strongly suggest sealed, especially in a vehicle. It might be fun ported low for home theater, but sealed seems ideal considering cabin gain.
Grinder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 43 Jeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enough

i wouldnt worry about port noise if you dont plan on throwing ungodly amounts of power unless you are trying to use a 2 inch aero port or something. You wont run into any port noise with a 3 inch aero at all. at least nothing you'll hear from the driver's seat.

it all really depends on what kind of orientation you can get so you have optimal subwoofer loading which can make a bigger difference than just port or sealed. literally poor loading = crap output and cancellation hell.

for simplicity sake, i'd say do the sealed but have at least 1500 to 2000 watts rms on tap to have the output you need and keep the signal clean, you should have relatively close to the output of the ported but better group delay.

Ported is good if you like rap, or re-bassed music with deep 30hz and under drops aka the whale notes. however if you have a wide range of music, just do sealed.

SPL oriented 09 Sienna......80 prs+amp crossovers 3 way active front stage 10 inch pwx midbass on a ct 500.2, 6.5 prv 6mr500 ndy on a bridged ppi 900.4, massive ct2 tweeters on a ppi 600.2 B pillar 6th order wall with 4 Team Ascendant 18s on 30,000 watts.
Jeffdachefz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 Heterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enoughHeterosapian will become famous soon enough

One consideration in favor of the ported system is weight. I'm suspending this all vertically and have to build supports for it all. Using only one woofer cuts 25 pounds off the already robust enclosure weight. Enclosure alone will be around fifty pounds of mdf and glass. The ported enclosure would be easier to make rigid as well since the woofer is oriented centrally and I can brace to flat surfaces easily.

If I were a patient man, I'd build an enclosure in both configurations and test it first.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterosapian View Post
One consideration in favor of the ported system is weight. I'm suspending this all vertically and have to build supports for it all. Using only one woofer cuts 25 pounds off the already robust enclosure weight. Enclosure alone will be around fifty pounds of mdf and glass. The ported enclosure would be easier to make rigid as well since the woofer is oriented centrally and I can brace to flat surfaces easily.

If I were a patient man, I'd build an enclosure in both configurations and test it first.
Suspended, in a minivan? I sure hope that thing is secured like a fortress, otherwise it's going to take out everyone in the van in the event of an accident. Let's just say, I'd call another ride if you showed up as my Uber driver with a 50lb sub box hanging behind me.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Rep Power: 20 Evl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enough

The only time I personally would consider a sealed enclosure is when space is at a minimum. I know people say "it depends on your musical taste" but honestly that shouldn't have anything to do with your box design choice. The box design is only going to limit options or open them up. It will not change the tone of the subwoofer as the subwoofer wouldn't change, just the enclosure.

As an example, take a subwoofer from whatever manufacturer that offers their own box design plans for that specific subwoofer when they offer both a suggested sealed enclosure and a ported enclosure. The sealed enclosure is typically going to have less output volume and less sub bass output. The ported enclosure is more tunable as adjusting the port size will move the desired/emphasized frequency range.

Basically, if you are limited on space or just want to limit options, go with the sealed enclosure. Here is a pic from Rockford Fosgates website. It is for the Punch P3D4 10" sub which they say leans more towards liking a sealed enclosure but even their graph shows it has more output in a ported enclosure. Yes the sealed is extending lower but to bring that roll-off up would take some serious equalizing which could introduce noise and or distortion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sealed-vs-ported.jpg (133.5 KB, 17 views)
Evl5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Suspended, in a minivan? I sure hope that thing is secured like a fortress, otherwise it's going to take out everyone in the van in the event of an accident. Let's just say, I'd call another ride if you showed up as my Uber driver with a 50lb sub box hanging behind me.
Suspended is the best way I can phrase it. It's in the left rear corner, mounted vertically, "suspended" from behind on a vertical 2x8 with 8 bolts running through it. Let's be honest, no subwoofer is really safe in a wooden enclosure in a passenger compartment. This is pretty close though.

Pictured is the basin I'm using as a base for the enclosure:
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evl5150 View Post
The only time I personally would consider a sealed enclosure is when space is at a minimum. I know people say "it depends on your musical taste" but honestly that shouldn't have anything to do with your box design choice. The box design is only going to limit options or open them up. It will not change the tone of the subwoofer as the subwoofer wouldn't change, just the enclosure.

As an example, take a subwoofer from whatever manufacturer that offers their own box design plans for that specific subwoofer when they offer both a suggested sealed enclosure and a ported enclosure. The sealed enclosure is typically going to have less output volume and less sub bass output. The ported enclosure is more tunable as adjusting the port size will move the desired/emphasized frequency range.

Basically, if you are limited on space or just want to limit options, go with the sealed enclosure. Here is a pic from Rockford Fosgates website. It is for the Punch P3D4 10" sub which they say leans more towards liking a sealed enclosure but even their graph shows it has more output in a ported enclosure. Yes the sealed is extending lower but to bring that roll-off up would take some serious equalizing which could introduce noise and or distortion.
The alternative argument is that a ported enclosure will always have phase problems, and the sealed enclosure won't. A ported box gives more output, but at a cost.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Suspended is the best way I can phrase it. It's in the left rear corner, mounted vertically, "suspended" from behind on a vertical 2x8 with 8 bolts running through it. Let's be honest, no subwoofer is really safe in a wooden enclosure in a passenger compartment. This is pretty close though.

Pictured is the basin I'm using as a base for the enclosure:
This makes me feel more comfortable.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:

I've built dozens of enclosures and also lean towards porting but I've never been in a position to make this particular choice. The ported single looks great but has less headroom. Here's the model with 12db/octave cabin gain starting at 50hz. Green is one ported, red is sealed pair, both at the same power level.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Rep Power: 20 Evl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The alternative argument is that a ported enclosure will always have phase problems, and the sealed enclosure won't. A ported box gives more output, but at a cost.
Could that be fixed with the use of the phase control on 99% of subwoofer amplifiers?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Could that be fixed with the use of the phase control on 99% of subwoofer amplifiers?
No. The phase issue comes from the fact that the wave from the rear of the sub is routed through a longer distance before it's able to move toward the listener. The wave from the front of the cone will be ahead of the rear wave. It cannot be fixed electronically.

This is one reason why technically a sealed box is better for sound quality. That doesn't mean you should necessarily choose a sealed box, and in the real world the extra output from a ported enclosure may make up for the phase problem, but on paper a sealed box is more accurate than a ported box.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16

Quote:
No. The phase issue comes from the fact that the wave from the rear of the sub is routed through a longer distance before it's able to move toward the listener. The wave from the front of the cone will be ahead of the rear wave. It cannot be fixed electronically.

This is one reason why technically a sealed box is better for sound quality. That doesn't mean you should necessarily choose a sealed box, and in the real world the extra output from a ported enclosure may make up for the phase problem, but on paper a sealed box is more accurate than a ported box.
And why a labyrinth ported enclosure or "transmission line" is typically preferred for sq when it comes to ported enclosures as by design it deals with the phase issues associated with ported enclosures in the tuning passband. Below tuning it would also be out of phase.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
And why a labyrinth ported enclosure or "transmission line" is typically preferred for sq when it comes to ported enclosures as by design it deals with the phase issues associated with ported enclosures in the tuning passband. Below tuning it would also be out of phase.
Right, but enclosures like T-lines are usually much bigger, and need to be built very carefully, so they become much less practical in a car, but you are right that there are plenty of other enclosure types that all have their pros and cons. Sealed and ported tend to do well in a car since they are easy to build, and generally smaller than some more complex enclosure types.

If I wasn't driving a hatchback now, I'd do IB again without hesitation.
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Evl5150 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Rep Power: 37 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Use plywood, it's lighter and stiffer.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Rep Power: 37 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm curious to get people's thoughts for my particular application. It's a minivan and the sub(s) will be mounted in a side panel near the left rear corner. The stock system does midbass really well (six 6x9s). I don't really bang out anymore but want to squeeze as much low end out of the package as possible.

I have two 10" Dayton ultimax subwoofers that model really well in small enclosures. I have enough volume on hand to run a single ported or two sealed. I'm leaning towards the sealed pair but the ported configuration nets another 3db at 40hz and 5 at 30hz! Neither configuration should exceed xmax but realistic port sizes probably mean compression and some chuffing at higher volumes. The sealed pair models dead flat with a little cabin gain, but gives up that low-low output that I enjoy, though I do worry about it sounding too fat or monotone as well.

Thank you for your input.
I'd go with the sealed pair, but I always prefer sealed.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

I've decided on the single ported configuration. With cabin gain, it will probably give me 5-8db in the 20-50hz range, and I tend to cross my stuff around 60hz anyway. That, and the enclosure will also be lighter and easier to build - trying to stuff two tens in a 23" circle would require a tremendous amount of clever bracing to get right. Ported, I just slap the woofer in the center and can reinforce it top-to-bottom with some thick wood dowels rather easily.

I'll probably buy a prefab sealed enclosure to test the pair. If I like it better, I'll build the sealed enclosure over the winter and mount it in the spring when the fiberglass will cure more easily. I'm having to wait until spring to make it pretty anyway for the same reason: resin doesn't like 30-50 degrees (or at least I'm not patient enough to make it work).

check out the build over at https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...r-install.html
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've decided on the single ported configuration. With cabin gain, it will probably give me 5-8db in the 20-50hz range, and I tend to cross my stuff around 60hz anyway. That, and the enclosure will also be lighter and easier to build - trying to stuff two tens in a 23" circle would require a tremendous amount of clever bracing to get right. Ported, I just slap the woofer in the center and can reinforce it top-to-bottom with some thick wood dowels rather easily.

I'll probably buy a prefab sealed enclosure to test the pair. If I like it better, I'll build the sealed enclosure over the winter and mount it in the spring when the fiberglass will cure more easily. I'm having to wait until spring to make it pretty anyway for the same reason: resin doesn't like 30-50 degrees (or at least I'm not patient enough to make it work).

check out the build over at https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...r-install.html
Maybe chuck an electric blanket over it to help it cure?

Staying with 12" or going to 10 or 8"?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 123 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No. The phase issue comes from the fact that the wave from the rear of the sub is routed through a longer distance before it's able to move toward the listener. The wave from the front of the cone will be ahead of the rear wave.
Sorry but I don't agree. At typical bass frequencies, there are little to no waves, but complete compression/rarefactions of the entire enclosure volume. (unless you have a really really long enclosure and have a pretty high set HPF, or you are considering weird anomalies like higher order harmonics, which are very complex to model from the rear of the basket/motor of a typical subwoofer). Go ahead and calculate the wavelength for say 80Hz, and tell me what one dimension of the enclosure must be to support that as an actual traveling wave. (hint: don't bother, it's wayyy too long )

Poorly sounding ported systems are simply poorly planned/integrated systems. If you're not careful with cabin gain, there is sometimes just too much gain at certain frequencies which simply results in "boominess" from excess energy centered around specific frequencies.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Sorry but I don't agree. At typical bass frequencies, there are little to no waves, but complete compression/rarefactions of the entire enclosure volume. (unless you have a really really long enclosure and have a pretty high set HPF, or you are considering weird anomalies like higher order harmonics, which are very complex to model from the rear of the basket/motor of a typical subwoofer). Go ahead and calculate the wavelength for say 80Hz, and tell me what one dimension of the enclosure must be to support that as an actual traveling wave. (hint: don't bother, it's wayyy too long )

Poorly sounding ported systems are simply poorly planned/integrated systems. If you're not careful with cabin gain, there is sometimes just too much gain at certain frequencies which simply results in "boominess" from excess energy centered around specific frequencies.
Agree, and if the port was extending out of the box towards the listener then the path length is exactly the same... maybe the back of the woofer is 180 degrees out of phase with the front?

If the port was 180 degrees out phase would there be a null somewhere in the frequency response?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

You're partly right, and partly wrong. There are "waves", that's what creates the sound. The wavelength IS much longer than the dimensions of the box or port, though. For anyone interested, the wavelength at 80 hz is: 14.0666 feet, and 4.2875 meters. The port length really does have an effect on the phase of the backwave, because it doesn't travel instantly, it takes time to move through the port, creating a delay, therefore changing the phase at the port exit. Also, I read a paper by a transmission line guru that said every 90 degree bend changes the phase by 180 degrees, so ports are really tricky to do right. The back wave is also 180 degrees out of phase to begin with, hence the need to delay it to get it to couple with the front wave.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

If distortion matters than I vote ported. A single ported enclosure built well and tuned low like 30 Hz has the advantage of reducing cone excursion at the tuning frequency quit well and if you use a DSP you can attenuate the frequency response where there is cabin gain further reducing cone excursion at the typical 45-50 Hz it often occurs. So you get a shit ton of output with less cone movement with less power and if you tune low than group delay isn’t a problem. I can take my ported closure and tune it with my DSP to sound just like a sealed box and you would never know the difference if I dint tell you. Only difference is I get more SPL and less distortion on less power at higher volumes.

The trick with ported enclosures is building them well and tuning them right. If you screw this up they can sound bad. Building sealed enclosures are much more forgiving and tuning them is a cinch.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement