3 way speaker placement question - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 4 dwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enough

Default 3 way speaker placement question

The vehicle is a 2019 GMC Sierra with 6x9’s in the door and 2.5/2.75 in the dash as stock locations. If I were going to attempt a 3 way setup and keep the stock locations but add a 1.5” tweeter in the sail or A pillar could this work? I don’t really want to glass a big enclosure to hold the mid and tweeter, I’d like to keep it as “stealth” looking as possible. I’ll be using a dsp if that helps with the answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E3614231-A3A0-40B1-B636-8F4473C3B94E.jpeg (800.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dwhyte91; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:55 PM..
dwhyte91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 3 way speaker placement question

Yes, that will work. Look at MTI acoustics facebook page for some ideas. They have done a couple of set ups both ways.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kanadian-kaos For This Useful Post:
dwhyte91 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably do the sail panels for simplicity. It's easy enough to try both spots temporarily though. Attach the tweeters with velcro, and test them in both places. I'd only use the A pillars if they sound significantly better, I'd much rather fabricate sail panels than A-pillars, they are cheaper to replace if you screw up, and generally easier to finish well because they are smaller and can be finished in a single color, or wrap. Cutting a hole in an A pillar means you have to blend and transition into the portion that you didn't cut. You may need to re-texture the entire piece, find perfectly matching interior paint, or wrap them to get an even and professional finish. A pillars are a pain in the ass unless you do that kind of fabrication all the time. Sail panels are much easier, and cheaper to work with. They can often sound just as good, or better, than A pillars, depending on the vehicle geometry. So, I'd only mess with A pillars if testing the tweeters temporarily installed showed that they sound significantly better there. There's a very real chance that they'll sound better in the sail panels anyway, which would be a win win.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
dwhyte91 (3 Weeks Ago)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 4 dwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enoughdwhyte91 will become famous soon enough

I figured I’d end up testing first before I decided where but I’m glad the sail panel might work as it does seem much easier to install there especially if I do them off axis or have a pair that swivel.

Now to find a pair of 2.5 drivers and tweeters to use.

Last edited by dwhyte91; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:11 AM..
dwhyte91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement