HELIX HEC USB VS BT THE REALITY - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 40 audiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enough

Default HELIX HEC USB VS BT THE REALITY

Hi guys,

I have come accross 2 local realtime end users claiming nothing was gained even though on paper specs state otherwise and that bt was more then great but we always want better right well is usb really better do we notice any sonic improvement?

has anybody went from Helix HEC BT to upgrade to HEC USB and can chime in and comment there findings?
audiocholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 40 audiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enoughaudiocholic will become famous soon enough

Default Re: HELIX HEC USB VS BT THE REALITY

no one wants to chime in for this old fella?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 67 Souths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enoughSouths1der will become famous soon enough

I started with the HEC USB. I had some issues. I'm an android user and I could never find a OTG cable that reliably charged the phone while connected to the Helix. About once a week it just wouldn't connect. I would have to do a combo of disconnect-reconnect and switching the speed until it finally connected. So I switched to the BT one and was more pleased. No connection issues. Phone could also be charging. I could connect. I thought everything sounded the same, nice and clear. I stream primarily, so I don't have a huge frame of reference. I'm working on moving more toward using a DAP player though.
Souths1der is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Souths1der For This Useful Post:
audiocholic (2 Weeks Ago)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

If you have Tidal Masters or some other hi-res streaming get the USB. If you have Spotify get Bluetooth.

The biggest difference between Tidal Hi-Res (24bit/96khz) and Spotify 320kbps is separation and clarity. I would switch between the two and I could hear a night and day difference. If you are feeding the USB dac vs Bluetooth Spotify the difference will be a lot less.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tonynca For This Useful Post:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

As said, your source material is all that matters. A connection cannot be any better than the source. A streaming service like spotify is one of the worst so bt would be perfectly fine. You use hi rez files played back on phone or tidal hifi and you will get an advantage to using a wired usb connection.

But then not everyone will notice the difference, depending on their audio equipment and themselves.

Personally i use android auto wireless. It's the same quality as wired.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kenwood DDX9905s, Helix DSP.3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jrwalte For This Useful Post:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
If you have Tidal Masters or some other hi-res streaming get the USB. If you have Spotify get Bluetooth.

The biggest difference between Tidal Hi-Res (24bit/96khz) and Spotify 320kbps is separation and clarity. I would switch between the two and I could hear a night and day difference. If you are feeding the USB dac vs Bluetooth Spotify the difference will be a lot less.

the source unit will be LG V30 plus (this phone does support hi res etc)
and indeed I will be using Tidal as an app.

so in this case I should gather there will be a noticeable difference between hec bt and hec usb and that I should definatley go for hec usb correct?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souths1der View Post
I started with the HEC USB. I had some issues. I'm an android user and I could never find a OTG cable that reliably charged the phone while connected to the Helix. About once a week it just wouldn't connect. I would have to do a combo of disconnect-reconnect and switching the speed until it finally connected. So I switched to the BT one and was more pleased. No connection issues. Phone could also be charging. I could connect. I thought everything sounded the same, nice and clear. I stream primarily, so I don't have a huge frame of reference. I'm working on moving more toward using a DAP player though.

Thanks for the reply, I too use an android (LG V30 plus) though I dont mind not being able to charge the phone as I do a 40min one way trip and my phone barely looses %10 charge on this journey ,can always recharge at the office/house

so in this case if I'am not after a OTG cable that will both charge the phone and connect to the phone/dsp will all be ok?

I mean if I just go phone usb out to helix dsp is there still chances I will face connection issues like you did yourself?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 Twonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enough

I started with an android phone into a P-Six via a BT card and APTx signal. Worked well enough but the phone kept interrupting advising me to turn the volume down before I damaged my ears (was on full volume to ensure the best signal into the DSP), and I got occasional half second drop outs.

Combined with the hassle of not being able to charge as I couldn't find the right OTG cable meant I got a USB card, ipod shuffle and camera kit as soon as I could. Much better usability (until recently when Apple decided not to support the USB audio to Helix and stopped charging it).

I do prefer the USB Audio android app over all, so if the problems have been solved in the few years since I used it, the BT card isn't a bad option.
Twonks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twonks View Post
I do prefer the USB Audio android app over all, so if the problems have been solved in the few years since I used it, the BT card isn't a bad option.
This comment is contradictory... USB Audio but over BT? I don't get it.

You could try using the Android Auto app on the phone. Even without using a HU interface, the app may lock the usb audio output to line level like it does for the HU.

Kenwood DDX9905s, Helix DSP.3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 Twonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enoughTwonks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twonks View Post
This comment is contradictory... USB Audio but over BT? I don't get it.

You could try using the Android Auto app on the phone. Even without using a HU interface, the app may lock the usb audio output to line level like it does for the HU.
Sorry, I should clarify. I prefer the usb audio app as a front end over all others. Think I used it initially with the bt connection and of course the usb audio whilst I had android.

Not sure how the app works nowadays as it’s years since I last used it.
Twonks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement