what box should i put my sub in with these circumstances - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 stingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enough

Default what box should i put my sub in with these circumstances

Hi I have a image dynamics id 12 v4 i just bought and im trying to get as flat a response as possible from 32 hz up to 45-50 if possible but my car is like 3 db down at 32 vs 35 hz whats the best box to achieve my desired goal with sq in mind?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Default Re: what box should i put my sub in with these circumstances

You mention SQ but how loud do you need it to be? Due to cabin gain in your car (what type of car), any sub will get a boost down low and without measuring what sort of cabin gain youíre getting, it is hard to say. The easy button is a sealed subwoofer using IDís recommended enclosure size. With some good power (500-1000w) and cabin gain youíll get real good output to 30 Hz.

Now ported will have more efficiency (louder above port tune) but is harder to tune for your vehicle. Usually a tuning frequency will be selected based on the driver and enclosure size so again, Iíd suggest going with what ID recommends for enclosure size and port length (tune). Ported will be louder above port tune as I said but it will have little output below port tune as youíll also want to put a high-pass crossover to protect the driver. And the ported enclosure will also be bigger than sealed.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 0 stingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enoughstingray will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
You mention SQ but how loud do you need it to be? Due to cabin gain in your car (what type of car), any sub will get a boost down low and without measuring what sort of cabin gain youíre getting, it is hard to say. The easy button is a sealed subwoofer using IDís recommended enclosure size. With some good power (500-1000w) and cabin gain youíll get real good output to 30 Hz.

Now ported will have more efficiency (louder above port tune) but is harder to tune for your vehicle. Usually a tuning frequency will be selected based on the driver and enclosure size so again, Iíd suggest going with what ID recommends for enclosure size and port length (tune). Ported will be louder above port tune as I said but it will have little output below port tune as youíll also want to put a high-pass crossover to protect the driver. And the ported enclosure will also be bigger than sealed.
The car its going in is a 2011 nissan altima sl 2.5 plenty of space but id like to keep the box size around 2 cubic feet maybe a tad more. Im using my factory nav deck and speakers with the bose amp and factory highs so the loudness question is simply what will mesh well with that. The image dynamics id 12 v4 only handles 250 rms and ill have a phoenix gold xenon 100.2 bridged on the sub. So based on what i said there what do you think will work best?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

I decided to go with the small .80 cubic foot sealed box to try things out in car....it was only 36 bucks to buy so not much to lose.

Last edited by stingray; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:05 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a good way to start and figure out the next steps. One thing Iím concerned with is how are you going to feed a signal to the amp? I checked the instructions and it looks like that amp only accepts low-level RCA inputs. So you may need to look at getting a line output converter.

https://knowledge.sonicelectronix.co...-level-inputs/
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

[QUOTE=dgage;5771057]That sounds like a good way to start and figure out the next steps. One thing Iím concerned with is how are you going to feed a signal to the amp? I checked the instructions and it looks like that amp only accepts low-level RCA inputs. So you may need to look at getting a line output converter.

I have a line out converter already since i already had a previous system in the car but thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement