What dsp do I need with my Sony ax100 HU - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough

Default What dsp do I need with my Sony ax100 HU

I have focal 165pfx in the front and focal p165 v
In the rear, powered by a AlpinePDX-F6
A jl w610 in a jl box powered by a jl 500 D amp

Any advise would be appreciated
1975audi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 4 FattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enough

So your amp is a 4 channel. Right now you are using all 4 channels to run components with passive crossovers. You don’t want to run a DSP with your passive crossovers or the passive and active crossovers can interfere/ inhibit each other. So you’d need an 8 channel amp to separate all of your components. My advice would be to ditch the rear speakers and work on the fronts. The rear shouldn’t be as loud as the front anyways and a lot of us don’t use them. Your call
FattyBoomBoom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 55 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: What dsp do I need with my Sony ax100 HU

I'd agree about ditching the rears, but disagree about using a DSP with passives. In my limited experience, active has been better than passive, but at one point I had a Pioneer HU with limited L/R eq and TA and it made a big difference to even OEM speakers.

So, if you can, add a DSP and use the 4 channel amplifier you have to run your front components actively, see how you get on with just the fronts and sub.
Vx220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,297 Posts
Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBoom View Post
You don’t want to run a DSP with your passive crossovers or the passive and active crossovers can interfere/ inhibit each other.
no..
SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 4 FattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Quote:
You don’t want to run a DSP with your passive crossovers or the passive and active crossovers can interfere/ inhibit each other.
no..
If the user tried to put a high pass filter on the coaxial tweeter actively it wouldn’t interfere with the high pass passive filter? I thought in general it was best to go with 1 or the other.. or at least it wouldn’t be advised
FattyBoomBoom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 55 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If the user tried to put a high pass filter on the coaxial tweeter actively it wouldn’t interfere with the high pass passive filter? I thought in general it was best to go with 1 or the other.. or at least it wouldn’t be advised
You can just send the whole component set 80hz and up (for example) and let the passive sort it out from there. It's limiting (TA settings would be the same for midbass and tweet, can't EQ tweet and mid separately) but even a basic DSP like the Dayton will make an improvement.
Vx220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 0 1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough1975audi will become famous soon enough

I stopped by a stereo shop to get one on one info on a dsp and yes he agreed that I should go fully active and buy another small amp to power my rears.
But I have to be honest, I sat in his show car with dsp system and I wasn't really impressed, I did notice the sound coming from the dash but it wasn't night and day or a wow factor at all.
Quite disappointed, I was hoping to really improve on what I have but I guess what I got is already pretty good.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975audi View Post
I stopped by a stereo shop to get one on one info on a dsp and yes he agreed that I should go fully active and buy another small amp to power my rears.
But I have to be honest, I sat in his show car with dsp system and I wasn't really impressed, I did notice the sound coming from the dash but it wasn't night and day or a wow factor at all.
Quite disappointed, I was hoping to really improve on what I have but I guess what I got is already pretty good.
First, you need an understanding of stereo, and a clear idea of what you like.

In addition to the overall response of the system, a good SQ system has great staging and imaging. If you don't know what those are, chances are you aren't ready for the learning that you'll need to setup a DSP well.

If staging and imaging aren't important to you, then you can get a pretty decent overall response from a good pair of component speakers and a sub. A DSP will still be helpful, but might go to waste.

The questions I'd consider are, how important are staging and imaging to you? And what is your overall goal? Do you do much critical listening in the car, do you drive with the windows down a lot, do you listen loudly, how much time and money are you interested in spending, are you looking for a hobby, or a system that you won't have to touch once installed?
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

You make a lot of valid points.
I tend to like my music loud , clear, with a lot of bass and no distortion.
Its pretty much what I have now , just thought I could get more out of what I got with a dsp.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You make a lot of valid points.
I tend to like my music loud , clear, with a lot of bass and no distortion.
Its pretty much what I have now , just thought I could get more out of what I got with a dsp.
A DSP will allow you to run the speakers active, so you'll have control over each speaker. This will allow you to set time alignment for each speaker, dramatically improving the imaging of your system. A DSP will allow you to EQ the left and right side, and usually each speaker independently. In a car this is important because the left and right sides will have very different responses, even when they are the same speakers. A DSP is a very powerful tool, and if proper SQ is your priority, then a DSP is basically required. But, if you just want clean, distortion free sound, with lots of volume and dynamics, and you don't care about staging and imagining, then I'm not sure you'll get much benefit from a DSP.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It sucks to say this about my industry, but im willing to bet that the shop you went to doesnt know dick all about tuning, or making cars sound halfway decent. They most likely install the dsp, set inputs and outputs, set crossovers,m fiddle around with signal delay, maybe futz around with the eq a hair, and call it good. Dont let what you heard be what you think you can achieve because the hard truth is that car audio shops, 9.5 times out of 10 (and thats being very generous) dont know how to tune a car to sound good. even good shops arent very good at it. what you want to do when demoing what a dsp can do, is have them play the system, then bypass the eq and signal delay. that will show you the difference. And the difference will either be huge, or they just dont know how to tune.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

What dsp do you recommend without breaking the bank. I'm a newbie but I'm willing to learn.
Might just stay passive for a while, learn how to use the dsp then switch over to active with a second small amp.
Hows the Dayton? It's in my price range
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
What dsp do you recommend without breaking the bank. I'm a newbie but I'm willing to learn.
Might just stay passive for a while, learn how to use the dsp then switch over to active with a second small amp.
Hows the Dayton? It's in my price range
The Dayton, or one of the miniDSPs will be your best budget option for budget DSPs. Or, you could run a Pioneer 80PRS, and run a nice active 3-way system all from the head unit.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

The good thing about spending more, is you will get a much more flexible, reliable, and powerful dsp. just recently i tried the auto eq in the helix processors. If you go onto Car Audio Junkies you can see my thread about it there. For people new to DSP's, this would be a no brainer if you can swing it after seeing what it can do on its own.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Does the mini helix have the auto tune option?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Does the mini helix have the auto tune option?
Auto EQ. You still have to set inputs/outputs, delay, and crossovers (easy).. If you go onto the Car Audio Junkies forum, i recently made a post with a video about it over there.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

I'll check it , thanks for all the great info/advice
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
The good thing about spending more, is you will get a much more flexible, reliable, and powerful dsp. just recently i tried the auto eq in the helix processors. If you go onto Car Audio Junkies you can see my thread about it there. For people new to DSP's, this would be a no brainer if you can swing it after seeing what it can do on its own.
The helix auto eq does work pretty well for what it is.

I wish they would make the auto eq be able to actually change the frequencies though. Seems a bit limited only using the preset bands, but it is lightyears better than no tuning.

I never really used the full auto mode. I just used the set to eq feature, driver by driver. It's an easy way to get a listenable system in just a few minutes.
For people that cant tune or cant be bothered it's pretty nifty.
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Is a mic a must when tuning ?
And if so, is there a preferred one that is used for dsp tunning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement