Finishing the trunk in a 1970 Chevelle - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 nazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enough

Default Finishing the trunk in a 1970 Chevelle

Greetings all!

I have began my winter project for this year, which is making the trunk in my Chevelle look decent. Which isn't going to be hard based on what it looks like now

The first thing I'm going to do is address the rust on the floor. After that is done I want to build and upholster panels that will enclose the trunk to make it look finished. I'd like to use 1/4" MDF or perhaps some sort of plywood for the base construction of the panels. Probably no fiberglass on this project.

I've been doing a bunch of looking around at different projects people have done, and it seems pretty straight forward. But - I wanted to get some input from this group about how to build this thing out. I figured if anyone is going to know what the common gotcha's are along the way it would be you folks.

I'll attach pictures of the trunk in the before state, and where I am now which is empty. The pictures will show all of the equipment that has to go back into the trunk when it's finished. I'll talk some about what the options are there.

In the left corner there is a nitrous tank. The tank that is in there right now is pretty long and will not fit in there if not at an angle. I'm considering using smaller, shorter tanks but using two of them in this new build, along with a bracket like so:

https://www.amazon.com/BlackPath-Uni...2439896&sr=8-1

In the right corner, there is a battery hold down. The old one is just too plain looking so I already have this waiting to go in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the center is the fuel cell. I've toyed with the idea of replacing this one with an aluminum cell to make it look a bit more clean once the install is done. It almost has to stay in the same place, and be the same shape to work in the trunk with the bars though.

Last but not least, tucked way up in the trunk ahead of the fuel cell even is an old school Rockford Fosgate 400a4 amp to power the rear 6x9 speakers. There are no front speakers. This is an amp that I just found hanging out in my garage from many years ago that just so happened to work, so this is what I used. Along with a JL audi BT connector so that I did not have to cut a hole in the dash for a head unit. I just play muisc off of my phone.

I'll attach some pictures here for reference of what I've just talked about above. Anyway, if anyone has any input, or perhaps some 101 type of learning material about building these types of enclosures please let me know. Also, if there are any design ideas that stick out that would look nice, also throw those out there. I'm really not the creative type so not 100% sure how all of this would fit best back there. The current plan is to put it all back in the same place except for the amp and BT connector, those would get mounted up on the side panel on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (1.65 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (1.88 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (1.86 MB, 12 views)
nazarah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 0 nazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enoughnazarah will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Finishing the trunk in a 1970 Chevelle

I am also currently digging through all of the "how to" posts to see if there is anything that might apply to this situation.

Last edited by nazarah; 1 Week Ago at 08:33 AM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

You could do amp rack on one rear quarter and build a box with either fibreglass or wood, you could also have a sub box with a beauty panel in front of it. Try to do all this without drilling any new holes in the car or damaging the exterior panels from the inside of the trunk.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 90 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

I'm confused about what u'r trying to do here. U say make the trunk look "decent", which is pretty vague. Are u trying to create more usable space in the trunk? Do u plan on adding any audio or other equipment to the trunk (ie, subwoofer box, additional amps, etc)?

Given how wide the tire wells are and the fact that it has a fuel cell, I'm assuming this is a drag car. And that means weight is a serious consideration... some1 else mentioned a sub box, but given that the car doesn't even have front speakers, I don't think a sub is a priority.
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 4 FattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuaki Kuhabara View Post
You need to form questions like a man. I don't understand what you're saying.
Like “Hulk Hogan” man or “Caitlyn Jenner” man?
FattyBoomBoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
You could do amp rack on one rear quarter and build a box with either fibreglass or wood, you could also have a sub box with a beauty panel in front of it. Try to do all this without drilling any new holes in the car or damaging the exterior panels from the inside of the trunk.
No new holes is going to be one of the main goals. No subs in this one, just the amp for the rear 6x9's for now. I'd much rather listen to engine noise and blower whine than those crappy old speakers But when the wife rides with me she likes the music.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc0path View Post
I'm confused about what u'r trying to do here. U say make the trunk look "decent", which is pretty vague. Are u trying to create more usable space in the trunk? Do u plan on adding any audio or other equipment to the trunk (ie, subwoofer box, additional amps, etc)?

Given how wide the tire wells are and the fact that it has a fuel cell, I'm assuming this is a drag car. And that means weight is a serious consideration... some1 else mentioned a sub box, but given that the car doesn't even have front speakers, I don't think a sub is a priority.
Just making it look more presentable. In a previous life this car spent a lot of it's time on the track. I do not race it. So, I want to keep it in it's current form using the current equipment that the car is setup for, just making it look more finished. No subs here, only the one amp.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuaki Kuhabara View Post
You need to form questions like a man. I don't understand what you're saying.
Are you assuming my gender!?

Joking of course.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Rep Power: 90 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazarah View Post
Just making it look more presentable. In a previous life this car spent a lot of it's time on the track. I do not race it. So, I want to keep it in it's current form using the current equipment that the car is setup for, just making it look more finished. No subs here, only the one amp.
In that case, I would start by putting some kind of carpet on the floor. Something fairly thin and stretchable, but also able to handle an automotive environment. Subwoofer box carpet comes to mind. Cut and piece it in (keeping cuts to a minimum, obviously) and use 3M spray adhesive to hold it in place.

Turn the battery 90° (so the terminals face the driver's side of the trunk) and move it back into the cavity behind the pass side wheel well (ie, between the bumper and the rear wheel). Route the wiring along the pass side of the trunk and maybe wrap it in black plastic loom.

What is that thing hanging down near the pass side trunk hinge? Is that part of the wiring? If so, I'd try to move it closer to the battery,

Will the nitrous tank fit in between the wheel tubs (where the amp is now)? If so, I would put it there and angle off to the drivers side of the fuel cell. Make a false panel for the amp and mount it in the cavity behind drivers side wheel well.
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

What about a pre fab kit like this thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo0n_znw7PU

Has anyone had experience with these before? I'd perhaps have to modify it a little bit to make the fuel cell fit in there but this may give me a jump start on things. The kits are priced right too.

As long as it fit well, I'd drop it in like it is. Hope to fit the smaller nitrous tanks on the left hand side in front of the wheel well, then do the battery on the right side with the amp mounted on the vertical panel on the right side.

The thing hanging down by the trunk hinge is a battery disconnect switch. I'd have to find a new place for that, but that's not a huge deal. Maybe even on that right side panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement