Been Out Of The Game Questions - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 marshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enough

Default Been Out Of The Game Questions

Hey all....I've been out of the game for quite a while now. I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and am looking to upgrade the sound. I've been doing research, but am confused. I know wranglers aren't know for good sound, so I'm not going to try....I just want BETTER sound than stock...What's some good mid-priced speakers for an upgrade? I have 5.25 components for the knee panels and 6.5's in the roll bar. I would like to change out the head unit for an android type with a good signal. I will be running some old equipment for the amps...Xtant M404 for the interiors and a Focal FDX 1.1000 for the sub. I have to research the sub still, but I at least I have a wattage starting point! Thanks in advance....

Oh..When I was in the game last, Alpine, JL, MTX, Hifonix and Focal were king lol
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Been Out Of The Game Questions

If you're going to swap the head unit anyway, just do that first. A lot of times simply sending the speakers a better signal helps make a significant improvement, even with the OEM speakers. A decent head unit will have a clean signal, and some good tuning tools (depending on what you buy), usually that's enough to make the system sound much better.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 8 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

You mentioned an "Android type" head-unit. Just be careful. Most of those Chinese full Android head-units are pretty crappy in terms of sound quality. I tried two different units (an Eonon and a Hizpo) and they both had pretty severe audio issues (interference noises from wifi, poor screen quality, etc). Definitely not up to par with the well-known head-unit brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.... External amps don't help either as the issues are even before the signal gets to the amp.

The functionality is pretty cool (but wears off quickly, to be honest), but so far, they are just not up to par in terms of sound quality - at least the ones I tried...
jtrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
Ali-323i (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 0 Ali-323i will become famous soon enoughAli-323i will become famous soon enoughAli-323i will become famous soon enoughAli-323i will become famous soon enoughAli-323i will become famous soon enoughAli-323i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
You mentioned an "Android type" head-unit. Just be careful. Most of those Chinese full Android head-units are pretty crappy in terms of sound quality. I tried two different units (an Eonon and a Hizpo) and they both had pretty severe audio issues (interference noises from wifi, poor screen quality, etc). Definitely not up to par with the well-known head-unit brands like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.... External amps don't help either as the issues are even before the signal gets to the amp.

The functionality is pretty cool (but wears off quickly, to be honest), but so far, they are just not up to par in terms of sound quality - at least the ones I tried...

I 100% agree with this statement.

I tested 3 eonon units (2 different models) and the signal was just poor. I have JL amps, but the signal was so poor that it couldn’t get any decent volume. I did enjoy the functionality, but ultimately went back to my 10 year old pioneer deck and bumping hard again.
Ali-323i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 marshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enoughmarshdrummer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback...I don't have 'budget' per say, but I don't want to break the bank either. I am going to spend the money on tried and true components....I just would like some help and point me in the right direction. The only thing I truly care about in a head unit is being able to waze as an app....

as for speakers....same deal...something decent, but I don't want to spend thousands on it....just a finger pointing me in the right direction...

maybe some links to get me going....

Thanks!
marshdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
Thanks for the feedback...I don't have 'budget' per say, but I don't want to break the bank either. I am going to spend the money on tried and true components....I just would like some help and point me in the right direction. The only thing I truly care about in a head unit is being able to waze as an app....

as for speakers....same deal...something decent, but I don't want to spend thousands on it....just a finger pointing me in the right direction...

maybe some links to get me going....

Thanks!
Start shopping for a head unit from Kenwood or Pioneer. Both have plenty of options with CarPlay so that you can run Waze.
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Ali-323i (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Rep Power: 0 cmilum will become famous soon enoughcmilum will become famous soon enoughcmilum will become famous soon enoughcmilum will become famous soon enoughcmilum will become famous soon enoughcmilum will become famous soon enough

I'd take a look at the JL Audio C3-525 and JL Audio C3-650. Or the Focal PC-150 and Focal PS-165FX. I currently have the C3's in my run around truck. They are powered off of a Kenwood DMX7706S head unit. And they have no problem keeping up with a JL Audio 10W6v2 powered by a JL Audio XD600/1.
cmilum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Rep Power: 4 FattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enoughFattyBoomBoom will become famous soon enough

I heard there is a pretty nice lightly used set of Audiofrog 6.5” components on EBay for around $400 that would be pretty bad ass. I think the GS series, not GB.. These were my first true components and boy did they impress!
FattyBoomBoom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I wouldn't even both shopping for speakers until you get the head unit sorted. Maybe make a wish list, but replace the head unit first, you'll notice a big difference after spending just a few minutes setting it up.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
Hey all....I've been out of the game for quite a while now. I just bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler and am looking to upgrade the sound. I've been doing research, but am confused. I know wranglers aren't know for good sound, so I'm not going to try....I just want BETTER sound than stock...What's some good mid-priced speakers for an upgrade? I have 5.25 components for the knee panels and 6.5's in the roll bar. I would like to change out the head unit for an android type with a good signal. I will be running some old equipment for the amps...Xtant M404 for the interiors and a Focal FDX 1.1000 for the sub. I have to research the sub still, but I at least I have a wattage starting point! Thanks in advance....

Oh..When I was in the game last, Alpine, JL, MTX, Hifonix and Focal were king lol
You should come to the great get together in Taunton on November 10th and check out all of the cars there to get some good ideas.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ality-gtg.html

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement