polyfill test definitive results? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Default polyfill test definitive results?

I was bored so i decided to take some measurements.

Sub is an adire brahma 12.

Box is .66 cft

The blue line is no poly

the black line is with poly

What caught me off guard is the poly made the sub LOUDER

I expected the increase in lower end performance but not the volume increase.

pay attention to this part.

The blue line was measured with a fixed mic position and the radio volume at 28.

The black line was measured with identical mic position(mic was not moved during the addition of the poly) and the radio volume at 26! 2 clicks DOWN, which equals about 3 db in my truck.

I reduced the radio volume 2 clicks to make the measurement amplitude align better. I am seeing a pretty substantial increase in volume and extended low and upper bass.

Both measurements were taken with identical mic position.

I did the swap with the sub facing up and did not move the box at all. I simply removed the sub, added poly then remeasured. After seeing the increase in over all volume I turned the radio down 2 clicks so that the graphs would line up better.

I had an almost 6 db gain at 30hz!

If i didnt have thta room mode at around 88hz i have no doubt that area would have gained amplitude as well.

Im familiar with poly and have used it often but actually measuring the results has me shocked at the added performance. I would have never guessed it would add volume through the entire sub range.

I was looking at a video online and it seemed inconclusive. This seems pretty darned conclusive to me.

For anyone interested, I used the blackhole "STUFF". Thats literally the name. The rep got all huffy when i called it shredded denham lol and started ranting about acoustical this, acoustical that.

Have you guys ever seen poly add this much performance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polyfill.jpg (65.2 KB, 55 views)
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 69 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: polyfill test definitive results?

Why not show the real apples to apples graph? I understand your reasoning, but a graph with them both at same head unit volume would be more revealing.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

just make it stop.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
Why not show the real apples to apples graph? I understand your reasoning, but a graph with them both at same head unit volume would be more revealing.
The graphs were for me. I wanted to see apples to apples frequency response comparison and to do that I needed the graphs to be at the same amplitude. Posting here was an afterthought.

I thought it was pretty neat how much sensitivity it added. If course if you build a proper sized box you dont need poly, but for those working in tight spaces its pretty great.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnae38 View Post
It's almost over. I got a sub that will work and as soon as I iron out how to make it fit and get my mids installed and tuned I'll be out for a couple years.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 bassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enough

Does it sound louder to your ears? Try adding more stuffing.
bassace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,297 Posts
Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
just make it stop.
come to CAJ. he doesnt post there

Apicella Auto Sound | ResoNix Sound Solutions
New York Metro Area
Everyone moved over to Car Audio Junkies. See you there
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
come to CAJ. he doesnt post there
Yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Drop 1, I think you are single handedly keeping diyma alive with your threads... Lol

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,297 Posts
Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
exact reason why i hesitated hitting "post" on that comment lol

Apicella Auto Sound | ResoNix Sound Solutions
New York Metro Area
Everyone moved over to Car Audio Junkies. See you there
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

That is funny. That 'stuff' is exactly what I've been saving up from my meal delivery Freshly to be placed in my outer doors to do the same as what they claim. "Superior resonance control". And it already comes wrapped in plastic for water protection.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j3XfYTmNpEiz3hQz7

Kenwood DDX9905s, Helix DSP.3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
That is funny. That 'stuff' is exactly what I've been saving up from my meal delivery Freshly to be placed in my outer doors to do the same as what they claim. "Superior resonance control". And it already comes wrapped in plastic for water protection.

I've never seen it treated for door. If I didnt already have my doors covered in 1.5 inch thick foam/mlv tiles I would try it.
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
Box wont hold anymore.

But yes, I can hear it. It's almost like I added a second sub. 40hz and down is night and day.

To top it off, I can turn it up louder without breakup so I gained somewhere around 7 to 8db.

That's more than adding a sub or porting.

Cant wait to get it ported.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Rep Power: 83 willis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enoughwillis36 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post

Thats to funny, I have been saving that from my Freshly meals as well, have a whole closet full of it waiting to go into vehicle lol
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to willis36 For This Useful Post:
jrwalte (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Thats to funny, I have been saving that from my Freshly meals as well, have a whole closet full of it waiting to go into vehicle lol
I'll have to keep hoarding them. Whenever I get a new vehicle it could be used in a lot of places. Trunk, floor, doors, behind panels. Just stuff the whole damn car

Kenwood DDX9905s, Helix DSP.3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Rep Power: 97 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassace View Post
Box wont hold anymore.

But yes, I can hear it. It's almost like I added a second sub. 40hz and down is night and day.

To top it off, I can turn it up louder without breakup so I gained somewhere around 7 to 8db.

7 or 8 db just from polyfill? That's a huge just and doesn't sound right at all
ToNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Rep Power: 46 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

I'm in the middle of doing the same experiment and will be posting a video on my YouTube channel.The box I have has two Alpine type r 12's at around 1.8cuft. So I lined the walls with about 5 layers(approx 2lbs) of polyfill.Just gotta get around to taking measurements which I'll do once I get the A-pillars back in.Right now the system is disabled.

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Rep Power: 37 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

I can't find the link to this, so here's the pdf.Box Builder-Fill er Up polyfil guide.pdf
Or not.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Rep Power: 37 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Try this, post #8.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...orted-box.html
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Rep Power: 6 DaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enoughDaveG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
I can't find the link to this, so here's the pdf.Attachment 251613
Or not.
Thanks for sharing the pdf. I used to subscribe to Car Stereo Review and Car Audio back then and remember reading stories by Tom Nousaine. Also used to mail order from MCM... that seems like from another time - I'm 56! What did we do before internet?

And back on topic I've just always preferred the sound of a sealed box and have been stuffing with polyfill probably since about the time the CSR story was published! Gotta stuff (within reason)!
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Rep Power: 18 carlthess40 will become famous soon enoughcarlthess40 will become famous soon enoughcarlthess40 will become famous soon enoughcarlthess40 will become famous soon enoughcarlthess40 will become famous soon enoughcarlthess40 will become famous soon enough

Default polyfill test definitive results?

I miss those does of getting my
monthly mail from mcm electronics. I’m 53 and made my first order with them when I was 13. Those where the good old days , for me anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlthess40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The thread title says "definitive".

For definitive you probably need the SPL at the same volume, or even the graphs at the same volume.

"Somewhere around 7-8dB" needs to be defined with some measurement to be "definitive".

Without that it is conjecture, or subjective.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 104 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
The thread title says "definitive".

For definitive you probably need the SPL at the same volume, or even the graphs at the same volume.

"Somewhere around 7-8dB" needs to be defined with some measurement to be "definitive".

Without that it is conjecture, or subjective.
Definitive with a question mark so maybe. There is no way scientifically or theoretically he got a 7db from polyfil. A noticably gain sure.

Think about this. I passed the NYS record (at the time) for trunk only install at 150.3 db with two subs. Your telling me I could have got to 158 by just adding polyfil? No.

However opening a window at 135db can get you to 138. Opening it at 145 will not get you to 148. We tried all this stuff years ago. Poly made a big difference with sealed boxes and a slight difference with ported. That's what I buy into the heat/air transfer theory. You can hear it even with ported boxes. But 1 db is perceived 33% louder so.....

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 JVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the rough

Set the head unit volume to the same.

Re-measure.

You can move the graphs around all you want afterwards in REW.

You changed two variables at once. Not definitive results.
JVD240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Box wont hold anymore.

This is fake news!

It's not possible and I don't believe you.

’14 Tundra: Pioneer AVH2300NEX - Helix Mini - RF 2-Punch 200x2 & 1-Punch 240x4 Trans.ana - Illusion C3CX x 3, GB60 & GB12D2
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement