Weird distortion issue... What am I doing wrong? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Weird distortion issue... What am I doing wrong?

I want the other thread to get buried as it mentions the tweeters, and they are definitely not the problem...

Equipment is Fiio X5 (digital) --> Helix Pro Mk2 w/Director --> Zapco st 4 channel and mono --> GB10s, GS690 & GB12s

NO ANALOG SOURCE TO THE DSP, ONLY THE FIIO. THE DIRECTOR IS MY MAIN VOLUME.

Here's the problem:

I get a crackling sound in my tweeters at a medium/high volume, but only with loud recordings and bass heavy music.

When I turn the bass down in the Director, the crackling stops and I can turn the volume up a little more. Basically, the volume can be turned up without the crackling, to the extend that the bass is turned down.

Previously, I had the same equipment above with a MiniDSP and I did not have this issue...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 97 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Is the cord from the fiio to the dsp 75ohm?
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Weird distortion issue... What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
Is the cord from the fiio to the dsp 75ohm?
Not sure. It's the same cord I head running from the Fiio X3 to the MiniDSP, before I swapped things out...

Are you thinking that the signal from the dap to the dsp is compromised or weak?

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 97 ToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enoughToNasty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Not sure. It's the same cord I head running from the Fiio X3 to the MiniDSP, before I swapped things out...

Are you thinking that the signal from the dap to the dsp is compromised or weak?
I know if the cord from the fiio to the dsp isnt 75ohm it will create noise issues. But that's all I know as of now.

By dap you mean fii0?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ToNasty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

OK, the noise goes away when you turn the bass down. I know it's a longshot but might be worth seeing if it's a voltage issue. Have you put the tweeters on the Mosconi amp to see if the problem persists? Checked connections on amps and anywhere else there's a set screw to make sure they haven't got loose? I've had an amp do strange things because the set screw for the ground at the d-block got loose.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
I know if the cord from the fiio to the dsp isnt 75ohm it will create noise issues. But that's all I know as of now.

By dap you mean fii0?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes, the fiio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
OK, the noise goes away when you turn the bass down. I know it's a longshot but might be worth seeing if it's a voltage issue. Have you put the tweeters on the Mosconi amp to see if the problem persists? Checked connections on amps and anywhere else there's a set screw to make sure they haven't got loose? I've had an amp do strange things because the set screw for the ground at the d-block got loose.

Interesting you brought it up... Recently, I have been hearing a random buzzing sound coming from the trunk... It goes away after a couple minutes, and I kept thinking it's one of my cameras, so I put it on the back burner.

Well... This morning the buzzing is louder, so I go back to my trunk and put my ear to the bass amp, and the buzzing is coming from the bass amp! Son a bitch, wtf is going on with my system! I didn't have time to do any more poking around, though...

Now I am wondering if the distortion issue is related to the mono amp?!?! I carefully worded this thread to not point the finger at a specific piece of equipment... Even though the tweeter crackling issue has been going on way before the mono amp buzzing issue, are they possibly related???

If they are related, how do the tweeters know that the mono amp has a buzzing issue when it's cold?!?!

One more thing I confirmed is this: the volume can be turned up without crackling to the exact dB that the bass is turned down on the Director - meaning, turn the bass down 3 dB when the tweeters start to crackle and you can turn the volume up 3 dB more before it starts to crackle.

Lastly, the crackling doesn't sound like the tweeters distorting from being pushed to hard, it sounds like a noise being introduced somewhere down the line.

I'm gonna poke around on the bass amp, and check connections as the next order of business...

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 308 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you fiddled with gain structure in the processing and on the amps to see if something isn't playing nice? The Helix puts out 6v but the Zapco amps can only take up to 5v.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
Holmz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you fiddled with gain structure in the processing and on the amps to see if something isn't playing nice? The Helix puts out 6v but the Zapco amps can only take up to 5v.
I did not know that... I have not messed with anything along those lines.

Keep in mind, that this noise issue is not present in hi-res normal recordings, only in the loud, bass heavy ones. With any other music I can turn the volume all the way up with zero noise or distortion.

I think priority is to fix this buzzing issue in the mono amp and seeing if that fixes both issues. The amp should definitely NOT be making this noise! Btw, the buzzing is not heard through the subs, it is coming from the amp itself...

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Could be the hot recordings causing the amp inputs to get overloaded. Anything is possible in this hobby.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
Holmz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Enthusiast

Quote:
Could be the hot recordings causing the amp inputs to get overloaded. Anything is possible in this hobby.
You got that right, brotha... Fuck. Lol

Would it be wrong of me to secretly hope that my bass amp is defective so I can give my GB12s a little more power from a new amp?!?! Lol

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 341 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ew-inside.html

This must be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
I am already running VBA, but I might need to re-charge it...

Lol!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
Niebur3 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Have you tried unhooking your sub amp RCA's so it is "off" and leaving the bass up on the director like was mentioned in the other thread? Does it get the same results?

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
jdunk54nl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jdunk54nl For This Useful Post:
Holmz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
Have you tried unhooking your sub amp RCA's so it is "off" and leaving the bass up on the director like was mentioned in the other thread? Does it get the same results?
Yes, I did try that and got the same results as turning the bass down on the Director: less (or no) bass equals more volume without crackling.

Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, I did try that and got the same results as turning the bass down on the Director: less (or no) bass equals more volume without crackling.
So are you saying that you still had to turn the bass down on the director in order to turn the volume up..

Or

Are you saying that unhooking the amp meant that you could keep the bass the same on the director and turn the volume up all the way.

If the first, it is a sub/amp issue if you eliminate that and it goes away....

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Enthusiast

Quote:
So are you saying that you still had to turn the bass down on the director in order to turn the volume up..

Or

Are you saying that unhooking the amp meant that you could keep the bass the same on the director and turn the volume up all the way>
Now that you mention it, I don't remember if I turned up the bass in the Director when I tested it with the bass amp unplugged.

Had it not been turned back up in the Director, then that test was a waste. I'll need to do that again, to make sure...

Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Enthusiast

Quote:
If the first, it is a sub/amp issue if you eliminate that and it goes away....
Now with this buzzing in the bass amp, I am starting to think that too...

How the bass amp is causing noise in the tweeters is beyond my elementary level of understanding.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Quote:

How the bass amp is causing noise in the tweeters is beyond my elementary level of understanding.
Are they connected to the same power/ground points? If so noise could easily travel between them. Same reason we get alternator whine and ground loop noise, etc.

That could actually be your ultimate issue is your power/ground points. The tweeter amp isn't having to draw as much current as the sub amp so it would be less noticeable in that amp.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I want the other thread to get buried as it mentions the tweeters, and they are definitely not the problem...
I get a crackling sound in my tweeters at a medium/high volume, but only with loud recordings and bass heavy music.

Clipping almost always presents as a tweeter problem.
It sort of makes the other thread into, "solution interupus".

Quote:

Use the same bad music and also a good music.

Maybe try:
1) unplug the RCAs from all but the tweeters amp inputs.
(Does the volume get louder before cracklings?)

2) Crank the amp's gain pots to max.
(Does the volume get louder before crackling

3) Test the bad music with ear phones
(Does the bad music sound bad there?

For all of ^these^ Note the know volume level where they start to sound bad.

The first (1) sort of eliminate errant amplifiers.

The second (2) suggests it is up front digital gain structure

The last one (3) points to bad files

Did Skizer walk you through any remote tuning yet?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Enthusiast

Quote:
Are they connected to the same power/ground points? If so noise could easily travel between them. Same reason we get alternator whine and ground loop noise, etc.

That could actually be your ultimate issue is your power/ground points. The tweeter amp isn't having to draw as much current as the sub amp so it would be less noticeable in that amp.
Yes, same power and ground... I'd hate to think it's power or ground related. Those connections are solid.

Old 1 Week Ago   #21

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I swapped my JBL monoblock for a Zapco ST 850 monoblock thinking I was upgrading and I had all kinds of noise issues including what sounded like the mosfets buzzing when cold. I also wasnít impressed with the sound so after fucking with that POS for a few months I ripped it out and put the cheaper JBL club 5501 back in and no more noise of any kind and noticeably better sounding bass.

This is my second experience with budget Zapco amplifiers and Iím not impressed, especially with all the hype they get.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, same power and ground... I'd hate to think it's power or ground related. Those connections are solid.
Just pull its fuse... and then see what happens?
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
Yeah, I swapped my JBL monoblock for a Zapco ST 850 monoblock thinking I was upgrading and I had all kinds of noise issues including what sounded like the mosfets buzzing when cold. I also wasnít impressed with the sound so after fucking with that POS for a few months I ripped it out and put the cheaper JBL club 5501 back in and no more noise of any kind and noticeably better sounding bass.

This is my second experience with budget Zapco amplifiers and Iím not impressed, especially with all the hype they get.
I have had great luck and great sound with them so far, but I am accepting that they are budget amps.

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have had great luck and great sound with them so far, but I am accepting that they are budget amps.
Sorry David Iím just pissed about the whole ordeal Iíve personally had with that amp and I tried everything and couldnít figure it out either.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #25

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
Sorry David Iím just pissed about the whole ordeal Iíve personally had with that amp and I tried everything and couldnít figure it out either.
No apologies necessary... As I think/plan (dream) of what I will do in my next build, I definitely will replace the amps and I'll most likely go with Mmatts. Lots of power, small footprint and made in America.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement