Box affect ohm load? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Default Box affect ohm load?

I was doing some reading last night about these spl guys saying the box can alter the ohms.

How does this work?
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Box affect ohm load?

Speaker impedance curve explained with examples | Audio Judgement
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 43 Jeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enough

impedance rise happens with box or without box, anytime the coil travels through the motor the impedance changes. Mainly important if you burp for competitions, irrelevant if you are just playing music at SQ levels. Its the main reason why you have people say i can throw 1500 watts rms to my sundown SA 12. They will never get 1500 watts wired to 1 ohm if the amp is rated for 1500 at 1 ohm. They will see at best 2 ish ohms of power at certain frequencies at full tilt. which is right around the RMS rating of the sub which the sub should be able to handle for hours if the testing and R&D is proper and doesnt lie like some trash brands. Usually higher end SPL brands are extremely conservative on those ratings as well. but in general you are never using as much power and current as you think you are getting.

SPL oriented 09 Sienna......80 prs+amp crossovers 3 way active front stage 10 inch pwx midbass on a ct 500.2, 6.5 prv 6mr500 ndy on a bridged ppi 900.4, massive ct2 tweeters on a ppi 600.2 B pillar 6th order wall with 4 Team Ascendant 18s on 30,000 watts.
Jeffdachefz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

A driver and a driver with enclosure has a maximum impedance, which would also be the resonant frequency. At this maximum, the driver will provide output with the least amount of power needed. And if you play a single frequency at this resonant frequency, the driver barely moves but be very careful because youíre putting power into the driver but it isnít moving much to be able to cool the voicecoil.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 123 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
And if you play a single frequency at this resonant frequency, the driver barely moves but be very careful because youíre putting power into the driver but it isnít moving much to be able to cool the voicecoil.

You're partially thinking of playing near the tuning frequency of a vented-alignment type enclosure where the port dampens the motion of the cone though. In free-air or sealed, Fs or Fc respectively, at resonance the cone excursion peaks, which is why the impedance increases due to back EMF, hence higher electrical resistance.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oscar For This Useful Post:
dgage (1 Week Ago), Grinder (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
You're partially thinking of playing near the tuning frequency of a vented-alignment type enclosure where the port dampens the motion of the cone though. In free-air or sealed, Fs or Fc respectively, at resonance the cone excursion peaks, which is why the impedance increases due to back EMF, hence higher electrical resistance.
Youíre right, I got that confused. Thanks for the catch.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

The reason I asked was mostly out of curiosity.

Also I accidentally hooked my jl 1200/1 up to a pair of frog 10s at 1 ohm.

The amp is only rated to 1.5ohm. It played for 2 days before I realized the mistake. The jl put out a ton more power but eventually went into protect the on the second day.

When I first hooked it up this way it was in a ported enclosure and after moving the subs to a sealed enclosure the amp went into protect.
I thought it was odd.

Jl amps arent the greatest I know but they sure seem to cover the bases when it comes to protection.

On a side note can you raise the ohm load say .5 ohm, just using large amounts of speaker wire?

I mean I know you can but the amount of wire would need to be significant.

This is all theoretical. I'm not actually doing it. Just random thoughts.
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 308 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

You can use a very thin wire between amp and sub....it will heat up and present some additional impedance.... but you probably wont do that...when I compete in dBDrag we use to try out every possible thing that we thought it might help us with result

yet again - model your speaker in WinISD or Speakershop or LEAP or similar software, change enclosure volume and tuning and observe impedance graph.....

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement