Quick question about port tuning - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Default Quick question about port tuning

If I port a box at 28hz do I still get plus 6 db all the way to 80hz?
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 82 rayray881 will become famous soon enoughrayray881 will become famous soon enoughrayray881 will become famous soon enoughrayray881 will become famous soon enoughrayray881 will become famous soon enoughrayray881 will become famous soon enough

Do you ever do any research on your own or do you want all of the answers just handed to you?
rayray881 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rayray881 For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Quick question about port tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop1 View Post
with proper use of polyfill you will get +10db

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 43 dsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enough

Donít tempt him . Iím sure heís got bags of the stuff .
dsquared is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 104 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What do you mean by this?

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 84 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let me know what you want drop1 and as soon as I find a moment Iíll model it for you. To answer your question though, no you will not realize a 6 db gain at 80 Hz if the fb is at 28 Hz compared to a sealed subwoofer.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 308 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

model sealed and ported enclosures for given driver and overlay acoustic power graphs

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If it is that sort of box that you want, then it is called a bandpass.
It will be a 6th or 8th order.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 960 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Drop1, what prevents you from learning how to graph this stuff on your own for analysis?

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
Drop1, what prevents you from learning how to graph this stuff on your own for analysis?
It's a fair question. I think we're all wondering the same.

You can lead a horse to water...
Quote:
.... I could probably just teach you how to use WinISD so you could run these things yourself. Same with when you asked for info on what cubic feet something is. That's just math, easy math at that. Let's just teach you how to use something like Sketchup or whatever so you're comfy with making this stuff. It can be fun too. ....
...and be completely ignored.

Last edited by Grinder; 1 Week Ago at 09:24 AM..
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinder For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 64 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray881 View Post
Do you ever do any research on your own or do you want all of the answers just handed to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
with proper use of polyfill you will get +10db
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
Donít tempt him . Iím sure heís got bags of the stuff .
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 960 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

IDK, I personally found it a lot of fun to get decent at WinISD and Sketch

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Enthusiast

Quote:
IDK, I personally found it a lot of fun to get decent at WinISD and Sketch
Absolutely!

I'm not familiar with Sketch, but playing with WinISD has been a lot of fun and absolutely fundamental to what little I've managed to learn about woofer and subwoofer systems.
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Rep Power: 14 JMikeK will become famous soon enoughJMikeK will become famous soon enoughJMikeK will become famous soon enoughJMikeK will become famous soon enoughJMikeK will become famous soon enoughJMikeK will become famous soon enough

If you are porting to 28, I doubt you'll hear any gain at all up around 80 Hz. Depending on box size and a variety of other factors, you'll usually get about one octave boosted (with a peak in the center). So tuned to 28, maybe somewhere around 20-40 Hz.
JMikeK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeK View Post
If you are porting to 28, I doubt you'll hear any gain at all up around 80 Hz. Depending on box size and a variety of other factors, you'll usually get about one octave boosted (with a peak in the center). So tuned to 28, maybe somewhere around 20-40 Hz.
Or 25-40...
It drops like a rock on the low end of the port.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Which is something you want to happen, because a port unloading can be a gruesome thing, at high SPL. Best to also have a standard filter there in your DSP/head unit or at least at the amp, to prevent bad things.

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Which is something you want to happen, because a port unloading can be a gruesome thing, at high SPL. Best to also have a standard filter there in your DSP/head unit or at least at the amp, to prevent bad things.
Even without a subsonic it will drop like a rock.
The subsonic just keeps it from destroying the subwoofer.

Drop: This is where a tunable PR allows one to adjust the tuning frequency post-facto. (Whether a 3" port is large enough for a Brahma I do not know... but you will want to know that up front)

Lanson: have you done any bandpass boxes using a PR for the lowest frequency?
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Lol! Mr. ďPRĒ Holmz.

Iíd be interested in hearing about some of your band passes with PRs.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Lol! Mr. ďPRĒ Holmz.

Me too
The Haus boss has a list of other things for me...
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Lol! Mr. ďPRĒ Holmz.

I have done several 4th orders bandpass enclosures before. What benefit or change would I see using a PR vs. a traditional port with a bandpass either 4th or 6th order
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Even without a subsonic it will drop like a rock.
The subsonic just keeps it from destroying the subwoofer.

Drop: This is where a tunable PR allows one to adjust the tuning frequency post-facto. (Whether a 3" port is large enough for a Brahma I do not know... but you will want to know that up front)

Lanson: have you done any bandpass boxes using a PR for the lowest frequency?

Right, that's what I mean by gruesome. I mean subwoofer destruction. We're definitely covering the same concern.

I've not used a PR before in anything other than a bass-reflex type design. Sunfire subs are a good example of my involvement with them. I sold a lot of Sunfire subs when Carver owned them.

Personally, I don't like higher-order designs. I much prefer IB, Sealed, and Bass-Reflex type setups. With the excursion and motor strength of today's subwoofer drivers, a lot of the advantages of a high-order assembly are nullified.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lanson For This Useful Post:
Holmz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
I have done several 4th orders bandpass enclosures before. What benefit or change would I see using a PR vs. a traditional port with a bandpass either 4th or 6th order
It would be solely for the lowest frequency port, and mostly when that was desired to be in the <=25 Hz range.

I cannot see a reason to use a PR unless it is for a taking port that is a volume sucker and making it smaller... or making a noise chuffer port less noisy.
Old 6 Days Ago   #23

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 74 drop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enoughdrop1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeK View Post
This is the info I was after.

I was about to build a box (wood and saws were out) but wasnt sure how port tuning affected higher frequencies.

Every time ported vs sealed is mentioned everyone just gives the dumbed down answer of ported adds about 6 db. Nobody ever goes into detail about how that's only in a particular frequency region.

I ported it to 31 with a 1.5 x12 slot port. I wish I had ported it closer to 35 but it's just a test box so no biggie.

Sounds pretty good. Box is too small though. 1.35 before sub displacement tuned to 31. I did add about 2 pounds of poly just to break up any resonance that may be floating around in there .

This is the result vs the original sealed enclosure without the poly so its come a long way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191103_161432_1572988445877.jpg (1.31 MB, 6 views)
drop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Every time ported vs sealed is mentioned everyone just gives the dumbed down answer of ported adds about 6 db. Nobody ever goes into detail about how that's only in a particular frequency region.
The port is resonant at a specific frequency... sort of like a swing set is resonant. You can kick your feet all you want, but the swing goes at its frequency.
(Although a swing set is a higher Q system than a port.)

The reason bass reflex are used is because the lowest frequencies suck up the majority of the power.
As the frequency goes higher the linear displacement does not need to be as high.

If you want 31Hz and 80Hz you need a 31Hz port,and an 80-Hz port. If you want a third frequency, then you need to add a third port.

Quote:
Your measurement curve has answered this for you.
(So good job on that)

The curve looked like you also have more power at 50 Hz which goes to show that Q must be somewhat low.
Old 6 Days Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 bassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enoughbassace will become famous soon enough

You could go with a double chamber ported enclosure to obtain more mechanical power handling, but I don't think you'll have the space for that.
bassace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement