Verifying 2 amp install - remote wire hookup and pre-outs - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 squatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to squatchie16

Default Verifying 2 amp install - remote wire hookup and pre-outs

Gear:
Front Amp - JL G2250 , 80x2
Sub Amp - JL 300/2v2, 150x2
Front - 6.5" Powerbass something "160watts" (to catch fire)
Subs - RF Punch 10" P2, 50-200w

Not sure if the RF's are single or dual 2 or 4. Maybe i should find that out.

Questions:
1. Can i use a volt meter on the pos/neg terminals on the sub box to find what resistance the subs are?

2. How should i run the remote wire? I don't see a remote out on either amp so i thought i need to run 2 remote wires from HU, one to each amp?

3. Each amp has "preamp outputs", should i run one set of RCA from HU to first amp and then from first amp "preamp output" to second amp "input".

4. Is 60amp main power fuse correct size? The 2250 says to use 25amp fuse, don't have the manual for the 300/2.

I think thats all, besides needing a distro. Will search for one to buy/trade here.

----Current----
Alpine 9855
MB Quart QSC216 6.5"
Dayton RS225 8"
JL 13w3v3-4
Soundstream XTA720.4 front+front
Soundstream XTA880.2 sub amp
Quote:
It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye. Then it's just fun and games they can't see.
squatchie16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice89grand is just really nice

Default Re: Verifying 2 amp install - remote wire hookup and pre-outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchie16 View Post
Gear:
Front Amp - JL G2250 , 80x2
Sub Amp - JL 300/2v2, 150x2
Front - 6.5" Powerbass something "160watts" (to catch fire)
Subs - RF Punch 10" P2, 50-200w

Not sure if the RF's are single or dual 2 or 4. Maybe i should find that out.

Questions:
1. Can i use a volt meter on the pos/neg terminals on the sub box to find what resistance the subs are?
That will get you in the ball park, but a speakers measured voice coil resistance and nominal impedance rating are not the same. Measured voice coil resistance is normally lower, so a 2 ohm coil may read 1.2 ohms, where as a 4 ohm coil might read 3 ohms.

Quote:
2. How should i run the remote wire? I don't see a remote out on either amp so i thought i need to run 2 remote wires from HU, one to each amp?
There's no reason to run two separate wires from the head unit. I've always just ran one, then daisy chained it to the next amp/amps/processors.

Quote:
3. Each amp has "preamp outputs", should i run one set of RCA from HU to first amp and then from first amp "preamp output" to second amp "input".
That depends on whether you want to use any controls in the head unit, i.e. sub level, crossovers, etc. If not then you may as well save the headache of running mulitple long runs of RCA's and just go from the amps preout into the next amp. If you want to use the head units controls, you have to run separate RCA's from the head unit.

Quote:
4. Is 60amp main power fuse correct size? The 2250 says to use 25amp fuse, don't have the manual for the 300/2.

I think thats all, besides needing a distro. Will search for one to buy/trade here.
A 60 amp fuse should be fine. You don't need to fuse for the amps, you should fuse according to the gauge of wire, or at least not use a fuse that exceeds the current capability of the wire itself.©
89grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 squatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enoughsquatchie16 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to squatchie16

Default Re: Verifying 2 amp install - remote wire hookup and pre-outs

[QUOTE=89grand;1109511]That will get you in the ball park, but a speakers measured voice coil resistance and nominal impedance rating are not the same. Measured voice coil resistance is normally lower, so a 2 ohm coil may read 1.2 ohms, where as a 4 ohm coil might read 3 ohms.

Cool, that should be close enough i suppose. If not i'll just not be lazy and unscrew them from the box.

That depends on whether you want to use any controls in the head unit, i.e. sub level, crossovers, etc. If not then you may as well save the headache of running mulitple long runs of RCA's and just go from the amps preout into the next amp. If you want to use the head units controls, you have to run separate RCA's from the head unit.

The HU has pretty simple controls anyways so i might just use the amp-amp hookup.

I suppose using the bigger amp on the subs is the way to go, not sure. Don't want to overwhelm the fronts with too much bass from the subs but also don't want to give an a$$ load of power to the fronts either because i just don't think they will take it given my tendencies to push the limits.

----Current----
Alpine 9855
MB Quart QSC216 6.5"
Dayton RS225 8"
JL 13w3v3-4
Soundstream XTA720.4 front+front
Soundstream XTA880.2 sub amp
Quote:
It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye. Then it's just fun and games they can't see.
squatchie16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement