SQ in my Nissan Frontier - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 final frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enough

Default SQ in my Nissan Frontier

My daily driver is also my work truck that I bought used in '05...a 2000 Nissan Frontier extended cab.

I'll be replacing the aftermarket Alpine as well as the 6.5 stock components in the door. I need the space behind the seat for tools/cargo...so no thumping sub for me.

Will likely get another Alpine (CDE-102?) or a Kenwood (MP345) HU. I was considering an Alpine plug & play amp (KTP-445/a 4-way amp) for a little boost in watts to 45 RMS. I could go for a 2 way amp under my seat, but this complicates my install by a fair margin.

From my budget, I wish to spend the lion's share on quality component speakers. After hearing several from the surrounding audio shops I was AMAZED by Hertz HSK 165s (~$450). They delivered a spatial quality that I just didn't hear in the others.

Anyways, while I can choose to afford these, they are quite a bit MORE than I was anticipating to spend. If I did go ahead and install them and deaden the door, will I be doing myself a diservice with either of the above HUs coupled with the plug & play amp? I was hoping to spend less than $250 for the comps...fwiw.

Your opinions are important to me...so fire away.
final frontier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 484 FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: SQ in my Nissan Frontier

I honestly don't think you'll be happy with the power pack. It's basically double amping a small amp.

You should use a 2 channel amp if anything, and run them on the front components. It will sound a LOT better than the little power pack will.

I'd honestly say you'd be better off spending the money on a 2 channel amp than a nicer set of components. You could get a decent 2 channel amp for ~$100, and then you'd just need an amp kit, 8GA would likely be sufficient for a 2 channel, though 4GA would give you room for later upgrades (you'll want a sub later, don't fool yourself )

To put it into perspective, you won't enjoy the Hertz speakers on the power pack. You'll also likely clip them and destroy them.

I'd get this setup personally.

TOTAL Mobile Audio TMA T2-360.2 2-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp
Polk Audio MM6501 - 6-1/2" Component Speakers System - Sonic Electronix

Or a lot of other good choices for speakers in that range from JL, Infinity, JBL, Alpine, Kicker, RF, DLS, etc. Not using a sub, you'll definitely want a set of components that can give off some good bass. The Massive Audio comps might works out well as well, there's a deal on them somewhere on here.
FAUEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 final frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enoughfinal frontier will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your opine...I had a feeling, but wanted an impartial jury. I will opt for a decent 2-way amp under the passenger seat. Though, with my line of work, I cannot afford to give up the space a sub would take up, so 6.5 components will have to get it done.

Re: component speakers, specifically the highs/tweets - I don't care for anything shrill/metallic sounding. Can one generalize as too 'avoiding' certain kinds of tweeter materials in general? I want a clean sound with detail. I rarely crank it up, but then again, I've been unable to crank anything up for far too long.

Of your recommendations, which might be more toward my preferences? Fwiw, I heard many JLs and found them kinda flat/neutral sounding, not bad, but definitely not inspiring.

Music preferences: Tool, SRVaughan, Govt Mule, Rush, Led Zep, Dream Theater = mostly a rocker with some harder blues.

Old 01-20-2011   #4

Banned

Rep Power: 0 sniper913 is on a distinguished roadsniper913 is on a distinguished roadsniper913 is on a distinguished roadsniper913 is on a distinguished roadsniper913 is on a distinguished road

Same as final frontier
sniper913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 484 FAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond reputeFAUEE has a reputation beyond repute

In general, hard dome tweeters tend to be more harsh. Materials like titanium, aluminum, etc. Keep in mind, a lot of this can be addressed within the tuning of your setup.

Conversely, soft dome type tweeters tend to stand out less. A hard dome will stand out more, but it may be fatiguing if you have a low tolerance for the highest frequencies.

Polk speakers tend to be a bit on the bright side IMO, not a bad thing, but brighter than average. Infinity speakers also tend to be relatively bright. Alpine speakers don't tend to be very bright, and the type-r speakers have very good midbass. That said, the best thing to do would be to test out a few speakers at your local retailer. I'm not really a big fan of overly bright tweeters either. Though I have heard a few setups where the metal tweeter worked very well, it really IMO comes down to the performance of the tweeter vs the woofer.

For instance, I found the Infinity Kappa Perfects a bit fatiguing because of the tweeter when they were mounted up high. But when moved down to the kickpanel area, they were much better. In my gf's car, I mounted the tweeters at the very bottom of the dash as she retained her factory dash speakers, and the components she has are fairly bright Infinitys. It works well, has good sound without being too bright.

As an aside, have you thought about putting a small sub under the drive's seat? if you have the same room under the driver's seat as the passenger one, you could likely fit a small 4channel under the passenger and a small sub under the driver's. Many newer Nissans have this setup from the factory.
Old 01-20-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

I had a stock Infinity system in my '96 Eclipse GS-T...it rocked for a factory install. Not sure how to compare it to today's offerings, though.

Can you apply your tweeter IQ to BAs various levels of components? Kortec?? The last system I (had) installed was in '91 (CRX-Si) with BA's - components up front, dual cones in the rear, all powered by a 4 way amp.. They may have been entry level, as I know they weren't Pro series...and I recall being pleased.

From what I've heard so far, I liked (not loved) some Alpines (600c), BAs (various levels), Pioneer (1702 - was frankly suprised at this one). I didn't find much else beyond a LOT of JLs. As stated, they were uninspiring for my taste. I see an Alpine "Type X" at some websites...not a Type R(?).

Those darn Hertz HSKs just set their hook in me...I swear I could 'see' the music, not just hear it. They are substantially more $$$, so I guess it goes w/o saying, huh. It would be a shame to underpower them, especially with dirty watts.
Old 01-20-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

I've always been fond of the Boston Acoustics stuff. It's pricey, but it rarely disappoints.

I can't speak 100% to what Kortec is, but many manufacturers use different polymer based materials as a sort of "bridge" between a soft (ie silk) and a hard (ie metal) tweeter. They try to get that extra pop, while not making them fatiguing.

The Alpine Type-X is more of a... "goes with subs" speaker. IME the Type-R is more capable on its own if you will not be using a subwoofer.

Those Pioneers are pretty decent speakers for not a lot of money, they surprise a lot of people (I blame the aisle full of cheapo Pioneer gear at Walmart for that).

FWIW, I believe all of those speakers you listened to (except some of the JLs) should have had one of the "poly-soft" style tweeters. If you can, check out a set of the Kicker (DS or KS) components, they have a hard dome tweeter. Should give you a decent idea what to expect from that.
Old 01-20-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
The Alpine Type-X is more of a... "goes with subs" speaker. IME the Type-R is more capable on its own if you will not be using a subwoofer.
Is there a term, or some specs I can look for when comparing speakers (especially online) that would help ID component speakers that would do a better job for a sub~less application? Obviously, there is a frequency/hz range...and some comp sets don't get as low as others. Is this an accurate method for discrimination purposes?

There are certainly a lot of brands, WAY more than I could have imagined...and hearing even a small share of them would take some serious travel time. While I don't want to buy w/o listening, I might just have to do it as I've nearly exhausted my local car audio dealers w/in 40 miles from my residence.

I've been doing a lot of searches here at DIYMA = good stuff! If you're aware of a really good tutorial thread on tweeters, I would love to find it and read it.

I truly appreciate your assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement