Some horn questions. - Page 6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #126
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 LumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Some horn questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Dynamics are nice tho

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
That's why I wanted to fit horns in my Miata so badly.

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #127

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 97 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
That's why I wanted to fit horns in my Miata so badly.
A Miata would be a great horn car

Sit low , dash is setup good windshield is more straight up n down

Except for that monster console.

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #128

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

So when you guys talk about the center console in cars. Are you referring to the dash or like where the shifter is and the right console where u rest your arms. Is it better to remove that?

Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #129
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 LumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura aboutLumbermanSVO has a spectacular aura about

We are talking about the part that bolts to the floor. Unfortunately, in most new cars that piece and the dash are one continuous assembly, so getting rid of it isn't a solid options. In my Miata it wouldn't do much good to eliminate it because the transmission tunnel is so tall it almost meets the bottom of the dash.

Ideally you'd have a dash with a completely flat bottom edge that then tapers up to the gauge panel. There would be a big fat gap between the bottom edge of the dash and the floor pan, with no plastic bits between the seats.

Obstructions in the middle cause reflections. The taper from the bottom edge up to the panel help to extend the horn effect and get that nice transition you worked so hard for, and raise the stage up.

That's the idea behind the dash rebuild in my Bronco: (Haven't worked on the bottom edge yet)

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #130

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 97 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Skinny car no console is the primary reason I bought the fit
Plus places to put speakers.
The big console tend to make the horns more separate sounding , like two sound sources instead of playing together as one big seem less sound field. To try to describe the reflection artifacts caused by the console.

His old ford will be so nice for horns. Has all the right items.

A big wide truck with 8s high up in the door and minihorns is one of my favorite sounds. The stage is massive and the center is super massive and pronounced.

I did horns in a older ram truck that thing had suck awesome imaging

Old 1 Week Ago   #131

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

I feel like my horn fires more into the middle console(front center of car) than the transmission. You can see where it hits coming out of the horn and there is a ton of steel behind that plastic.

hump

Last edited by Jscoyne2; 1 Week Ago at 03:50 PM..
Old 6 Days Ago   #132
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 161 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

The quick way to test if your console is causing and early reflection is to use large towels draped over and listen.

The strongest output angle is the centerline of the 2 axis flare section of the horn. The output at the angle of your ruler is much lower.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #133
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 161 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Also dont be shy , call and discuss tuning 310 869 4438
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
slvrtsunami (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago   #134

Enthusiast

Hmm

Old 6 Days Ago   #135
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stevens View Post
no joke on that. I bought me some diaphragm replacements from him for my cd ultras, and we ended up talking for 30+ min easy! (had to break off the convo cause he told me he was headed to church and i was holding him)

gave me feedback for my fender airspaced idq15. which is now semi IB. def fixed the problem i was having.
Frijoles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #136
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 147 slvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hmm

Sorry, I really cant see a reason for ding that, the center tunnel is too high...

2014 Focus ST... Stock for now, but not for long!
slvrtsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #137

Enthusiast

Hmmm

Old 6 Days Ago   #138

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrtsunami View Post

Sorry, I really cant see a reason for ding that, the center tunnel is too high...
Welllll too late!

Old 5 Days Ago   #139

Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you think that dash mats might actually be a bad thing when using horns as the wave follows the contours of the dash, it hits the dash mat and kinda goes all over, instead of continuing to follow the dash curves?

Old 5 Days Ago   #140
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Quote:
Do you think that dash mats might actually be a bad thing when using horns as the wave follows the contours of the dash, it hits the dash mat and kinda goes all over, instead of continuing to follow the dash curves?
The wave may follow thge contour but the strength at that point is very very minimal compared to the direct energy.

So yes, absolutely use a dahs mat.
Old 5 Days Ago   #141
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 147 slvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The wave may follow thge contour but the strength at that point is very very minimal compared to the direct energy.

So yes, absolutely use a dahs mat.

Darn it Eric.... Another thing I have to pass by the wife!!

Old 5 Days Ago   #142
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Welllll too late!

More power to you!! love to see how it turns out!

Old 5 Days Ago   #143

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
I feel like my horn fires more into the middle console(front center of car) than the transmission. You can see where it hits coming out of the horn and there is a ton of steel behind that plastic.

hump

Your console isnít ďthatĒ big either

Have you seen a Miata or a BMW 5-Series console ....thatís massive and wide as hell.

The Camry should sound very good.

If you have full-size horns look at the flare. Not the angle of the outer wall.

Look at this home horn , see how it flares at the ends

Now look at your full size horn and look for the flare , itís circular and about 1/4th a full circle , the ends where your ruler are are to help it play low and isnít where most the energy is. If you looking at it, from the far edges and into the horn youíll see the 1/4 (ish) circle shaped flare, thatís where almost all of the sound comes from. In actually the horn is quite small where it matters.

It should start to make sense and basically looks like a rounded horn firing forwards the other side of car

Iíll try and find a pic

Edit hereís a pic ...see the flares on both horns.
The exit angle on Ericís comes strong more forward and towards you and more straight forward than completely sideways , but still is ďaimedĒ sideways if you look at it .

About where the 2nd arrow is where a lot of energy comes out. Is that general area. If your lower dash is buried it can cause some reflection, but it more the entire console instead of the far underside only. More where your right leg is.
And again the Camry console can easily be delt with. Itís not big at all.

Edit: seriously call Eric.

what do forensic anthropologists study

how do i upload images to the forum

Last edited by oabeieo; 5 Days Ago at 04:06 PM..
Old 5 Days Ago   #144

Enthusiast

Thats a layer of mlv with a ton of holes drilledin it and thin carpet on top.

Not done yet tho.

Old 5 Days Ago   #145

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Thats a layer of mlv with a ton of holes drilledin it and thin carpet on top.

Not done yet tho.

Bravo for sayin fuckit and going to town anyway but I donít think itís that necessary, but it definitely canít hurt anything

Look at the lower dash and subdash area under radio

You can seeee how low the horn is in relation and you are in no way firing it into a brick wall.

Your car should be sounding awesome...

Old 5 Days Ago   #146

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Bravo for sayin fuckit and going to town anyway but I donít think itís that necessary, but it definitely canít hurt anything

Look at the lower dash and subdash area under radio

You can seeee how low the horn is in relation and you are in no way firing it into a brick wall.

Your car should be sounding awesome...
The motto of this car is fuck it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #147

Enthusiast

I like how the beginning of this thread was like..hey questions on horns... and now im like...lol

Old 5 Days Ago   #148

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

YOU have to say it sounds good tho....I canít see how it wouldnít

Old 5 Days Ago   #149
Upgrade Your Membership!

The biggest part that is bumming me out is that I am too far away to listen to it!

Old 5 Days Ago   #150

Enthusiast

Idk. I have a ton of foam showing up this week so im not gonna test it till then. Im putting in 3in wedges in the bottom half of the door and 1in wedges as a dash mat(maybe).

Mostly ima just throw foam all over the car and see if it sounds nice with dirac.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement