Some horn questions. - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #176

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Some horn questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrtsunami View Post
I wonder if you realize just at what 'level' you are operating at here... true DIY. Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations.

Are the reflections THAT bad without the dash mat?
Idk if the dash mat is helping or not I know when i was running a 3 way cone set up. Adding a dash mat just helped that fatigue or listening at high levels and it took the edge off of some frequencies. It wasnt a huge thing, but it did help.

To put it simply. I Just dont know if having absorption in the car is good or not. I wasn't really able to get a straight answer from people and research. So its something im trying to test but not really doing it in a very smart way. Too much too fast.

Il post my measurements of my tiny enclosure and just how badly it messed up the FR.

Last edited by Jscoyne2; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:32 PM..
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #177

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

No eq, no crossovers, no dirac. Took 1in from the front of the cone. Gross. Im gonna rebuild one with alot more breathing room. See if that helps

Last edited by Jscoyne2; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:32 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #178
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 147 slvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enough

What is the bandwidth of the drivers?

2014 Focus ST... Stock for now, but not for long!
slvrtsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #179

Enthusiast

Quote:
What is the bandwidth of the drivers?
Im not entirely but prob 60-2k sure.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #180
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 147 slvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enoughslvrtsunami will become famous soon enough

have you considered modeling the 8's in an enclosure? It looks like they like very small sealed enclosures best. just a thought.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #181
Upgrade Your Membership!

OK, so the drivers actually model well in a .25 sealed enclosure, I think if you can manage that, it will help with the two massive peaks.
I also find it interesting the difference between the left and right within the 2k - 3k region.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #182

Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, so the drivers actually model well in a .25 sealed enclosure, I think if you can manage that, it will help with the two massive peaks.

I also find it interesting the difference between the left and right within the 2k - 3k region.
So i did an out of car measurement where i mounted the driver in the enclosure and sat it on a desk standing vertical outside. So it'd have the same IB set up behind it. Then did a nearfield measurement.

I had to adjust levels in Rew so they were similar but you can Def see its the enclosure causing the issues and not the breathing room behind it.

Red is inside and mounted in car. Nearfield.

Blue is outside of car and set up Ib.

Old 1 Week Ago   #183
Upgrade Your Membership!

fascinating, there goes my theory!!

Old 1 Week Ago   #184
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 162 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Brian Mitchell was the guy from ARC Audio. We go way back.

For the midbass, I have found the lower the Q of the system (more IB) the better in everyway. Also absorbtion and difraction behind the driver is as important if not more important than difraction and absorbtion in the listening area.

Peaks and dips are the environment
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #185

Enthusiast

I think i may have done those measurements with my headunit eq on. Would explain some things. I need to retest. Leaving this here as a reminder to do so.

Old 1 Week Ago   #186

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stevens View Post

For the midbass, I have found the lower the Q of the system (more IB) the better in everyway. Also absorbtion and difraction behind the driver is as important if not more important than difraction and absorbtion in the listening area.

Behind the driver is very little sheet metal and almost a complete vent to the outside...how does one treat that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #187
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 162 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Behind the driver is very little sheet metal and almost a complete vent to the outside...how does one treat that.

Non hardening clay and high desnity fiberglass mat, if there is little surface are to reflect back not much needs to be done.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #188

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 98 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stevens View Post

That is truly something worth thinking about.

Itís much more than a blanket statement. Whatís going on behind the driver? .

I like it! So much to think about and how it contributes to the end result.

I forgot about modeling clay! Yes itís brilliant it works so good.

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #189

Enthusiast

So i rebuilt my right side enclosure and made it wayyy bigger because i thought maybe i was choking the driver but apparently...i was wrong. That was a lot of wasted glass but atleast i got an answer.

Blue is large enclosure. Red is smaller one. I had to guestimate level matching via rew but i think im right. The 315 and 1250k large differences i believe is due to me having my eq on the headunit for the small enclosure so u can ignore that.

Below are pics of the two different enclosures.

Old 1 Week Ago   #190

Enthusiast

Quote:
fascinating, there goes my theory!!
Tested.

Old 1 Week Ago   #191
Upgrade Your Membership!

So the blue line is the larger enclosure, without any EQ applied?

Old 1 Week Ago   #192

Enthusiast

Quote:
So the blue line is the larger enclosure, without any EQ applied?
Ya

Old 1 Week Ago   #193

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 98 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So i rebuilt my right side enclosure and made it wayyy bigger because i thought maybe i was choking the driver but apparently...i was wrong. That was a lot of wasted glass but atleast i got an answer.

Blue is large enclosure. Red is smaller one. I had to guestimate level matching via rew but i think im right. The 315 and 1250k large differences i believe is due to me having my eq on the headunit for the small enclosure so u can ignore that.

Below are pics of the two different enclosures.

Your getting good at this ****
See a year ago you had a lot of good questions now your doin it like a boss
Right on! I wish I had the time you must have to play.

The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
Jscoyne2 (1 Week Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #194

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Iíve got one of the best tunes Iíve had in awhile now.

And I think I know what I like.

I like an extremely strong center that is up high and far back and pin point clear and intelligible. Above all else that is what I like a super strong vocal that just doesnít quit or give up.

Than 2nd would be a smooth integration where no part of left or right are too strong.

I think Iíve come to the conclusion that 48db slopes are the way to go with horns
And 8s in kicks. I like how 24db and 12db play the horn down into the midrange
But if Iím completely honest with myself and listen to the music and stop thinking about trying to get the horn to go lower or be more dynamic at the end of the day 48db slopes are just better and tune better.

Weather it be a overlapping filter or a standard LR alignment, the fast attenuation makes it so much easier to get the horn and 8 to work perfectly together. They have such different dispersion and so obviously you want to pick a cross point that compliments both. Iíve found 1.4khz on full size And 1.6khz on minis to work good for me. But I know that will be different on different size and shaped dash and cars.

If your running DL try using a LR8 and on the midbass make it complimentary so it also has a LR8 on the HP side of the 8

The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
dgage (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #195

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Iíve got one of the best tunes Iíve had in awhile now.

And I think I know what I like.

I like an extremely strong center that is up high and far back and pin point clear and intelligible. Above all else that is what I like a super strong vocal that just doesnít quit or give up.

Than 2nd would be a smooth integration where no part of left or right are too strong.

I think Iíve come to the conclusion that 48db slopes are the way to go with horns

And 8s in kicks. I like how 24db and 12db play the horn down into the midrange

But if Iím completely honest with myself and listen to the music and stop thinking about trying to get the horn to go lower or be more dynamic at the end of the day 48db slopes are just better and tune better.

Weather it be a overlapping filter or a standard LR alignment, the fast attenuation makes it so much easier to get the horn and 8 to work perfectly together. They have such different dispersion and so obviously you want to pick a cross point that compliments both. Iíve found 1.4khz on full size And 1.6khz on minis to work good for me. But I know that will be different on different size and shaped dash and cars.

If your running DL try using a LR8 and on the midbass make it complimentary so it also has a LR8 on the HP side of the 8
Will do

Old 3 Days Ago   #196

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Will do

Read this also

Excellent white paper

http://users.spa.aalto.fi/mak/PUB/JAES_V57_6_PG413.pdf

Sponsored Links