Install Pics of Horns - Page 24 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019   #576

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 89 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Install Pics of Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijoles24 View Post
mmm. i just got my horns installed. maybe ill come around to taking pics.

found myself image dynamics cd ultras full bodies with drivers for 175 shipped. Is it just me, or does the plastic bodies smell really bad?

ive spent...40 minutes of tuning while driving. and ive gotten them to sound really nice for a few songs.. and other songs sound soooo bad and sharp
Turn down 2.5 to 4khz maybe try centering around 3.6k Q 1.2
To -10db thatís being the only eq on horns for setting gain. than ajust gain down until sounding smoother and listenable
Than eq down other problem areas. Donít boost in eq at least until you know whatís actually going on.. even than...mooot

You definitely overgained. You want the gain to sound like the horns arenít quite loud enough barely , than fix the midrange and midbass by cutting peaks and should come together.

Read Ericís tuning horns thread and pay attention to the details of what he says to do. All the little steps matter a lot with horns

And I love the smell of the mold release and urethane. Especially on a hot day :-) smells like pen ink (yummy)

ALSo pull the diaphragm out of the motor (carefully) gently pull on the voice coil as you pinch the voice coil and see if the glue has separated from the dome.
Inspect for dents in dome from abusive crossover points from hitting phase plug or debris in throat. Clean the voice coil gap with masking tape and business card and reassemble if all looks good.

Eric can help you or direct you on a new diaphragm if you need one.
Good luck

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI

Last edited by oabeieo; 02-22-2019 at 01:17 AM..
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019   #577
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
Turn down 2.5 to 4khz maybe try centering around 3.6k Q 1.2
To -10db thatís being the only eq on horns for setting gain. than ajust gain down until sounding smoother and listenable
Than eq down other problem areas. Donít boost in eq at least until you know whatís actually going on.. even than...mooot

You definitely overgained. You want the gain to sound like the horns arenít quite loud enough barely , than fix the midrange and midbass by cutting peaks and should come together.

Read Ericís tuning horns thread and pay attention to the details of what he says to do. All the little steps matter a lot with horns

And I love the smell of the mold release and urethane. Especially on a hot day :-) smells like pen ink (yummy)

ALSo pull the diaphragm out of the motor (carefully) gently pull on the voice coil as you pinch the voice coil and see if the glue has separated from the dome.
Inspect for dents in dome from abusive crossover points from hitting phase plug or debris in throat. Clean the voice coil gap with masking tape and business card and reassemble if all looks good.

Eric can help you or direct you on a new diaphragm if you need one.
Good luck

sweet. I actually saw that horn tuning 101 that eric wrote up.
Only thing ive done was xovers and the slopes. No ta or eq yet.

that smell.. pen ink?? hahaha ive never smelled pen ink before.

I suppose checking the unit would be smart. Though since i put it in, i wont be doing that for a while. Baby is on the way, those drivers were purchased before the baby. installed it in record time with the couple hours i have not setting up baby stuff. Haha
Frijoles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019   #578

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 89 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sweet. I actually saw that horn tuning 101 that eric wrote up.
Only thing ive done was xovers and the slopes. No ta or eq yet.

that smell.. pen ink?? hahaha ive never smelled pen ink before.

I suppose checking the unit would be smart. Though since i put it in, i wont be doing that for a while. Baby is on the way, those drivers were purchased before the baby. installed it in record time with the couple hours i have not setting up baby stuff. Haha
No eq?!!!

At a minimum you have to turn down three to 4K at least 10 DB or they will sound awful thatís just at a minimum

Private message me if you have any questions letís stop dirtying up this thread Iíll be happy to help you

Old 02-27-2019   #579
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 231 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Quote:
No eq?!!!

At a minimum you have to turn down three to 4K at least 10 DB or they will sound awful thatís just at a minimum

Private message me if you have any questions letís stop dirtying up this thread Iíll be happy to help you
Not sure I agree with that. I had a pair of ID mini body on the CD1e driver that sounded fabulous with only the high end boosted 6db or so. (Above 6khz) cut 3-4khz by 10+db and you will have killed most cymbals.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2019   #580

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH! View Post
Any way to get all these links pics to show?
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2019   #581
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Any way to get all these links pics to show?
I think they all disappeared when Photobucket ditched the free accounts.

I would love to see all those old installs . . .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #582

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Coming soon.

2003 Chevy venture 43k original miles , super clean van!

Going to try the Veritas in the grocery getter. The wife will pull up to the sooper with her country jams , all the other moms will be jelin.

Canít decide what motor to stick on these? Any recommendations

the nearest petrol station

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #583

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

From the look at these horns , it defy looks the the HF is going to have a very hard time making a turn around the bend in the body, from what I was told about the center being dominated by HF looks obvious.

She dosent have a console but the center of the dash protruding about 4Ē past lower dash and glove box.

Iím going to have to do some treatments for sure and maybe tilt them up about 4į Or so
To get the stage to rise enough. The van sits upright like an suv, but for hers as long as itís spectral itís all gravy baby!

Was just told the 450 radian came on these , I was thinking maybe a radian or a de500 or de550tn

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #584
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 158 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Was just told the 450 radian came on these , I was thinking maybe a radian or a de500 or de550tn
Radian not even close to a DE500 or DE550. Original ID drivers were Radian and while decent no where near the CD2 Comp. I dont think the mouth are and flare rate would take advantage of the DE550 larger diaphragm area.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #585

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stevens View Post
Radian not even close to a DE500 or DE550. Original ID drivers were Radian and while decent no where near the CD2 Comp. I dont think the mouth are and flare rate would take advantage of the DE550 larger diaphragm area.

I havenít had a set of 500s Iíve heard lots of good things about them just never had a set. Now I have an excuse to get a set :-)

What do you think about the difference between the 550 and the 550tn?
I havenít had a set of titanium drivers that I liked since the ultras or the cd2
However I remember loving the ultra sound quite a lot.

If I wanted a driver that will play lower on maybe another horn (Hint hint :-p)
Would you go for the 550 or the 550tn (which is better for low end).

(Meaning Iíll probably swap them out down the road to a better horn, or should I just get the 500)

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #586
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 158 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

After reviewing the 550 wont play any lower, just handles more power. The small volume of the rear chamber is the reason. Go polymer no matter what.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #587
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 Blazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enoughBlazemore will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The wife will pull up to the sooper with her country jams , all the other moms will be jelin.
That made me laugh, more than it should have. Good to see a horn install.

Pioneer / Soundstream / ES Audio
"...a lot of women are just plain crazy ass drivers anyway, might as well toss em in a drift car and let em go at it."
Blazemore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #588

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemore View Post
That made me laugh, more than it should have. Good to see a horn install.

Itís partially because she always takes my car wherever she goes and leaves me the van she says she likes to bump and likes the horns.

So I figure, now whatever car she takes at least Iíll have something to play with.

As her punishment tho sheís getting the sundown u-15 in the 6th order, and Iím going to do some of Ericís subs in my car.
He was telling me about them and wow! I canít wait to try them.

I could actually have some trunk space and still have good bass

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #589

Rep Power: 38 ManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enoughManBearPig will become famous soon enough

Is there an ETA on subs? I've been patiently waiting lol
ManBearPig is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #590
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 223 Patrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nicePatrick Bateman is just really nice

Quote:
mmm. i just got my horns installed. maybe ill come around to taking pics.

found myself image dynamics cd ultras full bodies with drivers for 175 shipped. Is it just me, or does the plastic bodies smell really bad?

ive spent...40 minutes of tuning while driving. and ive gotten them to sound really nice for a few songs.. and other songs sound soooo bad and sharp
I have some JBL Control Nows, and after about five years something really strange started to happen to the plastic enclosures. The outside is sticky, like the entire thing is covered in rubber cement. I used acetone to clean it off, and that mostly made it go away.

It's very odd though. I've seen plastic change colors, but I've never seen it decompose like this!

In principle it would be quite simple to waste the surplus labour of the world by building temples and pyramids, by digging holes and filling them up again, or even by producing vast quantities of goods and then setting fire to them. (Orwell)
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #591

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

And another horn system , Jesseís car. (2010 ish Lancer EVo

Car is a little dirty but dam it sounded pretty good.
Alpine xa70f , on ES mB6-2 and focal rears
Xd4004 bridged on HLCDs
Jl audio twk88 dsp
13w7 on a slash 1000/1

I got to say the mb6 gets with it. Oh my gosh thatís a nice sounding speaker. I literally could not believe how much sound came out of that 6.5. Very nice indeed plays nicely down to 100 crossed at 120 LR4 and 960 LR4

Last edited by oabeieo; 1 Week Ago at 10:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
Eric Stevens (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #592

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Broooo stop it before i spend money I don't have.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #593
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

oabeieo,

Did you try the ES MB6 high-passed @80hz?

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #594
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 90 CrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCountry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And another horn system , Jesseís car. (2010 ish Lancer EVo

Car is a little dirty but dam it sounded pretty good.

Alpine xa70f , on ES mB6-2 and focal rears

Xd4004 bridged on HLCDs

Jl audio twk88 dsp

13w7 on a slash 1000/1

I got to say the mb6 gets with it. Oh my gosh thatís a nice sounding speaker. I literally could not believe how much sound came out of that 6.5. Very nice indeed plays nicely down to 100 crossed at 120 LR4 and 960 LR4

Nice install. Looks great Andy!

And same here...everytime I see these ES drivers I want one even more.

So you crossed them at [email protected] particular reason why? Better question is it install related or function of the driver? I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway).

2006 4Runner
DIY 3-way Active/Passive: Dayton RS180-4, RS100-4, ??Tweet?? / P900.4, Dayton H.O. 10" / Kenwood XR-1S, 3Sixty.2.

Last edited by CrimsonCountry; 1 Week Ago at 04:17 PM..
CrimsonCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCountry For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #595
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonCountry View Post
Nice install. Looks great Andy!

And same here...everytime I see these ES drivers I want one even more.

So you crossed them at [email protected] particular reason why? Better question is it install related or function of the driver? I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway).
The MB6 works great with an 80 Hz high pass, and the MB8 is even better and can do well to as low as 60 Hz ut I suggest 70 to 80.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
CrimsonCountry (1 Week Ago), nyquistrate (1 Week Ago), oabeieo (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #596

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 50 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

"I look at these as more of a "hybrid" b/w PA and traditional speakers and was thinking 70/80hz would be good (the MB8 anyway)."

I think that is a great summary.

I cant bottom mb6 with 250watts at ~72hz
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcfis For This Useful Post:
nyquistrate (1 Week Ago), oabeieo (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #597

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

The only reason why I choose 120 is the owner of that car listens way way louder than I can apprxeciate and his taste in music is almost saturated in the midbass, maybe his hires player was adding too much gain and getting dangerously close to 0dbfs. When I played my iPhone I could get his system to go all the way up with no distortion at all. With his hires player it was as loud as my iPhone at about half volume. To each there own, 120 at full power it still was grabbing into the 80s with the amount of eq cuts that was needed at 140-300. When he comes back for more work I may try it lower. I wanted to keep power handling at its max for awhile unti he learns a little more.

Iím my experience first time horn owners tend to want to have fun with the addded volume abilities for awhile than the sq desires come out eventually.

His sub played decent to 120 , a little eq before crossing it worked good for his requirements, he definitely likes good sq and is into hires and stuff......

I think my gut was telling me something.

Last edited by oabeieo; 1 Week Ago at 11:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
Eric Stevens (1 Week Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement