Scanspeak 18W-4534G01 / Theil 7" 4 ohm pair $75 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Default Scanspeak 18W-4534G01 / Thiel 7" 4 ohm pair $75

Like the below 4" but amazing price and 4 ohm

Supposed to be like the Discover line scans

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Scanspeak...59.m2763.l2649

Im grabbing a pair

These look very promising for 2 way active setups. The cone material suggests little breakup and forgiving

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM..
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 68 Gump_Runner will become famous soon enoughGump_Runner will become famous soon enoughGump_Runner will become famous soon enoughGump_Runner will become famous soon enoughGump_Runner will become famous soon enoughGump_Runner will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Scanspeak 18W-4534G01 / Theil 7" 4 ohm pair $75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoes View Post
Like the below 4" but amazing price and 4 ohm

Supposed to be like the Discover line scans

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Scanspeak...59.m2763.l2649

Im grabbing a pair
Sweet!
Gump_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Where did you find info on the 18W-4534G01? They appear to be a lot from the recent business closing auction in TN.
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
Where did you find info on the 18W-4534G01? They appear to be a lot from the recent business closing auction in TN.
I just compared them to the current model

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...dwoofer-4-ohm/

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yeah, theres these original Vifa p17s
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THIEL-1-2-C...0AAOSw5BVc9-GR

and all these amazing looking subs but no specs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/thiel-1-12-...QAAOSwPMJdENFb

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 0 Mike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enough

Admittedly I don’t know much about Scanspeak. Would these be a good replacement for the Bose 9” mid bass driver in my car if going DSP and active 3 way?
Mike2.5T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2.5T View Post
Admittedly I don’t know much about Scanspeak. Would these be a good replacement for the Bose 9” mid bass driver in my car if going DSP and active 3 way?
Are you putting them in enclosures? The Qtc is 0.35. I'd model it before sticking in a door infinite baffle.
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Rep Power: 0 Mike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enoughMike2.5T will become famous soon enough

No enclosure as they would be in the doors. I don’t have the data to model it and can’t really trust the comparison in the eBay ad.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 BadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enough

Well,, I couldn't resist and ordered a pair. I had been wanting to try out the 7" Discovery as it specs and graphs similarly to the older Vifa MG18s. I have a couple sets of the MG18WK09-04 and while they don't dig very deep, the midrange and vocals from them are the clearest and most transparent I've heard next to my Nautilus 805s. Hoping these Theils will sound similar.
BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BadSS For This Useful Post:
tyroneshoes (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you putting them in enclosures? The Qtc is 0.35. I'd model it before sticking in a door infinite baffle.
I dont think modeling them is relevant if they will be high passed in a door. - Nevermind, I see you were replying to the Bose 9" enclosure guy.

If using same speaker locations as the Bose 9" drivers, Id look for 9" speakers. Cone area is a blessing.

I havent received mine yet but Im sure these will do excellently in a 2 way like the discovers do.

Regarding the guy with the Vifa...yes, those MG have amazing midrange as do the older woodpulp Vifa XT18WH Alpine type F version Im currently running. I am told these have phenomenal voicing and accurate and will increase midbass.

Were in the exact same boat

https://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/...20vs%20XG.html

(MGs are same as XG but yellow)

Erin of this board runs the discovery 7"s in the car. The only difference is the blue paint according to Madisound.

I was waiting for a deal like this and put aside installing these ESB 8000 woofers I have new, just because theyve been in my past 3 cars and time to try something new. These are a safe bet.

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:18 PM..
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Was hoping these would be a decent upgrade from the cheap Bose speakers when I install a DSP and go active with the mids in the dash and tweeters.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 BadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enoughBadSS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Were in the exact same boat

https://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/...20vs%20XG.html

(MGs are same as XG but yellow)

Thanks for the link!

I'm running a set of Alpine SPX-17PRO woofers because they made for an easy install. They have a similar overall tone and can dig pretty deep but they sound muffled compared to the MG18s. I've decided to make the MGs or these Theils (if they sound as transparent) fit even if I have to mount them on the outside of the door card.
BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2.5T View Post
Thanks for the replies and info guys. Was hoping these would be a decent upgrade from the cheap Bose speakers when I install a DSP and go active with the mids in the dash and tweeters.
One you take the original speakers out and measure space, we would be able to find replacements that work well and wont break the bank.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Has anyone installed these yet? They look very nice, yet to make the time to take doors off.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm running the 8 ohm version of the Discovery 7" in my truck because it models to be around 3db louder at 80hz compared to the 4 ohm version. 8 ohm version has a higher qts too. I'm sure the 4 ohm version would work decent too IB as long as the user doesn't expect midbass miracles out of it. Tonally they're awesome speakers and would probably mate well with any low playing tweeter. For 2-way purposes I still think the paper SB17 is the value king even though it lacks in midbass.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I'm running the 8 ohm version of the Discovery 7" in my truck because it models to be around 3db louder at 80hz compared to the 4 ohm version. 8 ohm version has a higher qts too. I'm sure the 4 ohm version would work decent too IB as long as the user doesn't expect midbass miracles out of it. Tonally they're awesome speakers and would probably mate well with any low playing tweeter. For 2-way purposes I still think the paper SB17 is the value king even though it lacks in midbass.
Why do you prefer the SB vs the scan?

Im planning to take the doors off in next couple days and I have a pair of these and a new set of the old zapco/esb CK 6.5" woofers Ive used in my past 3 cars.

Those are "heavy" sounding drivers but put out serious midbass. These look like they are more balanced and seem like they would cover the 80-2.5k range more accurately but has more excursion than my current 6.5" .

Its going to be crossed over around 80hz in a 2 way and Im content with the midbass my vifa xt paper/alpine woofers I have currently and am realistic regarding midbass.

Ive been using this site to compare these vs the scan rev (most models have a lower qts as well)

Scan-Speak | Loudspeaker Database

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 1 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why do you prefer the SB vs the scan?

Im planning to take the doors off in next couple days and I have a pair of these and a new set of the old zapco/esb CK 6.5" woofers Ive used in my past 3 cars.

Those are "heavy" sounding drivers but put out serious midbass. These look like they are more balanced and seem like they would cover the 80-2.5k range more accurately but has more excursion than my current 6.5" .

Its going to be crossed over around 80hz in a 2 way and Im content with the midbass my vifa xt paper/alpine woofers I have currently and am realistic regarding midbass.
I just feel like the SB is a more detailed sounding speaker in the midrange. I've chosen the 8 ohm Scan in two different Ram builds (2011 and my current 2016) because I really like it as a midbass driver but as a midrange there are other 6.5-7" drivers I'd choose over it. Just personal preference on matching the right speaker for the job to meet my goals. Several very picky pairs of ears said my midbass was excellent back in May at the NCSQ meet so I did something right. That was with a damaged y-splitter on the passenger side midbass too so it's mo-betta now.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
tyroneshoes (1 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I just feel like the SB is a more detailed sounding speaker in the midrange. I've chosen the 8 ohm Scan in two different Ram builds (2011 and my current 2016) because I really like it as a midbass driver but as a midrange there are other 6.5-7" drivers I'd choose over it. Just personal preference on matching the right speaker for the job to meet my goals. Several very picky pairs of ears said my midbass was excellent back in May at the NCSQ meet so I did something right. That was with a damaged y-splitter on the passenger side midbass too so it's mo-betta now.
So youre content with the midbass. Thats good to know. Im not seeing major differences between the 8 and 4 ohm version but the vifa/alpine have excellent midrange, but lack lower end of the usable spectrum. The midbass of the zapco/esb are crazy but theyre somewhat "muddy" in the upper midrange and have higher distortion. However, it also makes a unique enjoyable listen and somewhat warm.

Hmm, to pick between the two

Which crossover points have you settled on with the discoverys?

edit-oh I see youre using 2.5" frogs so your scans are midbass

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 1 Week Ago at 06:56 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
So youre content with the midbass. Thats good to know. Im not seeing major differences between the 8 and 4 ohm version but the vifa/alpine have excellent midrange, but lack lower end of the usable spectrum. The midbass of the zapco/esb are crazy but theyre somewhat "muddy" in the upper midrange and have higher distortion. However, it also makes a unique enjoyable listen and somewhat warm.

Hmm, to pick between the two

Which crossover points have you settled on with the discoverys?
I've always used them as a dedicated midbass mostly but have had them as high as 1000hz 24db with great results. Did a quick tune years ago up to 2500 to see how they sounded and they weren't my cup of tea up that high with wideband driver up top pulling standard tweeter duty. Right now they're playing 75-300 with LR4 slopes on each end with great results. I prefer more of a blend so not a midbass junky like some are. When I modeled the 8 and 4 ohm version I used winisd. Not sure how accurate it was but the difference was there and enough for me to choose the 8 ohm version and bridge a 4ch to them.

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Just remembered, I think I heard these in a passive setup on Hertz Mille (I think) crossovers. Was in an F-250 single cab and he still had the Hertz tweeters in use. I was actually impressed. Tonally there was nothing wrong with the way they sounded. He said he thought it was the Discovery speakers he bought anyway...Maybe I should do another tune with them playing up to about 2k to see how a more detailed tune works. Problem is I hate tuning and it's too damn hot to do anything in a sealed up vehicle right now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Just remembered, I think I heard these in a passive setup on Hertz Mille (I think) crossovers. Was in an F-250 single cab and he still had the Hertz tweeters in use. I was actually impressed. Tonally there was nothing wrong with the way they sounded. He said he thought it was the Discovery speakers he bought anyway...Maybe I should do another tune with them playing up to about 2k to see how a more detailed tune works. Problem is I hate tuning and it's too damn hot to do anything in a sealed up vehicle right now.
me too. I just want to do it once and do it right. For curiosity, my tweets can play as low as 2k @ 24db comfortably. Which 6-7" drivers do you think would be superior in a 2 way aside from the sb17

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
me too. I just want to do it once and do it right. For curiosity, my tweets can play as low as 2k @ 24db comfortably. Which 6-7" drivers do you think would be superior in a 2 way aside from the sb17
To be honest, I'm not sure when it comes to a budget. Not on the gear swapping treadmill anymore and out of the loop. I liked the SB17 enough to buy it again if going back to 2-way. The Seas ca18rnx is a great driver that no one on here runs anymore. Always a good encounter when I heard it in a car that used to attend meets in the south. It's 8 ohm though.

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yeah. I have been out of it for like 5 years but new car got me re-invested. I just hooked up speakers I had when I first got the car and did a temp basic install. Time to finish treating the door and while in there, might as well hook up the woofer and ring so I kinda just want to do it once.

Ive also been here since Npdang and used the Seas CA18rnx, ER18s (I think I was the one to do the first review on them as I got them when they first came out), and the Aluminum Lotus car version woofers over the past decade. All were very good but ER did poorly with moisture being pure untreated paper.

I have tried many woofers in a 2 way like the rs180, peerless exclusive, ID XS, B&C, Dyn, cdts and both the ESB Reference and Ottomila and always ended up with the ESB, however I had great experience with rs180s but I built my home theater speakers using RS woofers and Seas Alu/mag tweets so I want something different. I also really liked the Rainbow Profi Kickbass.

Im keeping the ESB tweeters as I have never heard one I like more and theyre on axis in pods. Thinking of doing the install tomorrow. I guess Im leaning towards the ESB 8000 but also want something different. I dont need to buy new drivers. I have the Vifa F class Alpine "nipple" 6.5 in my car now. The ESBs, these Scans and vifa MGs which is a lateral move as my vifas are the similar but have better low end (the mgs had none)

So its either the ESB or these Scans paired with the ESB tweets...for the 4 car in a row. Or just install these Scans. Price isnt an issue as these Zapco woofers could easily sell for 250-300 on ebay.

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Hate to say it but you might just have to test and see which you like best. I can understand only wanting to do it once. Installing sucks especially this time of year.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
tyroneshoes (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Just as an update, I did a temp install with these then compared to the ESB 8.165

These sound very good in a car door but do much better crossed over at 80 hz @ 12 or sharper. Very low, they do break up but most of us have subs. I went with the ESB as higher qts and punchier midbass and better power handling as I have 185 watts a side to each woofer. These do have excellent midrange and are a great deal for those looking for 80-3k or so. For those who want super punchy midbass, youre gonna need to break out the dsp. However, theyre not bad at all and I prefer the midrange of these to the ESB, but these two woofers are very different in every aspect including cost.

Compared to the Alpine f class based on the vifa xt in previously these had slightly more output around 100-300 hz and very good midrange for a 2 way. In a 2 way, there will lways be compromise and these still sound very good. It just came down to personal preference and I preferred the ESB...and considering the ESB mids were like $500+ a pair when new as were the alpine F17, these hold their own very well.

Very good price vs performance and seller accepts $65 for the pair.

They also have the 8 ohm version which does seem to boost the lower end in modeling as mentioned for less money

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ScanSpeak...wAAOSw9AxdD5dW

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 1 Week Ago at 08:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement