Adding an aux input to a pre-versatile link Alpine Deck - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 explorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enough

Default Adding an aux input to a pre-versatile link Alpine Deck

Heres how I did it since there are no off the shelf solutions available to get an aux iput on an older Alpine deck. I wanted an input for an ipod on my 7949, but besides a modulater(all of which are terrible) theres nothing out there. I found a way that will work on any cd changer compatible head unit. What I did was solder 2 rca leads onto the outputs inside the case. In my cha-s614 the wires were marked on the board which made identifying them easy, but I double checked with a DMM and the pinout for the Ai-net connector. Then I put it all back together, I did have to slightly modify(cut) the corner piece for the new rca cable to fit above the ainet cable.

The key to making this all work is to find a way to tell the headunit to activate the input, I accomplished this by making a stereo track of complete silence the length of a cd using Audacity, and then burning that onto a cd. I even went as far as to label that cd IPOD, so when it is selected It appears as if it is actually and Ipod input. I hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.
explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 176 khail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enoughkhail19 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Adding an aux input to a pre-versatile link Alpine Deck

Sounds pretty cool, but did you take any pics?

Alpine 7998*Phass MW160*Clarion APA4320*Peerless 2"*Seas Neo*Next VRz4.400*OZ ME12*PG x400.1

Premier 860MP*PG Zeropoint ZCS6*Pioneer SW-2541D*Sony ES XM-5046
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 explorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enoughexplorer2 will become famous soon enough

I didnt take any pics of the process, but I will get pics of the finished product.

Old 04-03-2008   #4

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,164 Times in 551 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

I'd really like to see pics of this.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Platinum Mobile Audio
Position:
Quality Control

Rep Power: 175 dallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enoughdallasneon will become famous soon enough

On the 7949 you can do the same thing with an Ai-net to rca cable.Take the cell phone mute wire and hook it to a toggle thats goes to ground. On the bottom of the deck flip the switch to "AUX ON" i think could be "Aux OFF"can't recall,try it both ways. With your ipod hooked to the inputs,flip the toggle switch to ground and it should feed the ipod audio signal thru the audio channels of the Ai-net cable. It worked for me. Of course this is if you are not using a changer.

Last edited by dallasneon; 04-04-2008 at 07:55 AM..
dallasneon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Melbourne's Acoustic Garage
Position:
Owner / Installer

Rep Power: 149 FrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enoughFrankstonCarAudio will become famous soon enough

I'm not familiar with the 7949, cos we never had it here in Australia, but if it has an Ai-net connector, couldn't you just use a KCA-121B Ai-net to RCA Input adapter?
That allows any RCA equipped unit to play thru as an AUX in.
All you would need is an Ipod to RCA lead which I know Stinger do....

I will admit that I have been wrong before....

Mark

Our SQ Competition Honda Civic

2011 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
2012 State Champion in MEASQ, Expert Class
FrankstonCarAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

I tried the adapter with the switch and no luck, the only switch on the bottom of the 7949 is the ainet mode switch for a processer. So i'm not exactly sure what switch you are talking about. It is only guaranteed to work with versatile link decks. I will get pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Here you can see the pins of the ainet out pigtail. The 2 closest to the top are labeled l,g, and r and are the audio outputs: left,right, and the shared ground. I tapped into the plug on the other side so that the ainet and the rca pigtail can be removed as one.

This shows how the plastic corner piece had to be cut to allow extra room. Originally I wanted to mount a set of jacks on the case but there is no room at all because it is so compact.

Thats the finished product. I think I will be taking it apart again so that I can isolate everything with diodes, but for now its not an issue, but I will take more detailed pictures then.
Old 04-07-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

So far it has worked perfectly. So to recap for a total of $40 i gained an aux input, a changer that plays burned cds, playing through a top notch headunit.
i'm very happy with it.
Old 04-08-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 pikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enough

i miss my 7949

Did the cell phone mute mod with a portable MD player back in the day.
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikers View Post
i miss my 7949

Did the cell phone mute mod with a portable MD player back in the day.
I'm not sure why it didnt work with mine
Old 04-10-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 pikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enoughpikers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2 View Post
I'm not sure why it didnt work with mine
Me neither. The wiring must be reversed in some way. It's actually quite simple, and electrically safe (to the radio).
pikers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikers View Post
Me neither. The wiring must be reversed in some way. It's actually quite simple, and electrically safe (to the radio).
I'm very sure it wasn't I was able to activate it and have it come up on the screen, and I used the alpine adapter not some cheap one. This works better for me because now i can play burned cds without carrying around originals.
Old 04-18-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 bentleyrb will become famous soon enoughbentleyrb will become famous soon enoughbentleyrb will become famous soon enoughbentleyrb will become famous soon enoughbentleyrb will become famous soon enoughbentleyrb will become famous soon enough

I'm looking to use Sirius with my 7949.
I've read that the Sir-Alp1 does work with the Alpine XM controller.
That would bring it into the h/u via FM. Not sure if that'll be good enough for me.
The guy I bought the 7949 had some sort of double pole double throw
switch he wired up to use his Ipod?
bentleyrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

Alpine KCA-801B *REQUIRES Ai-Net changer* http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osojWZX...x?i=500KCA801B
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 179 finebar4 will become famous soon enoughfinebar4 will become famous soon enoughfinebar4 will become famous soon enoughfinebar4 will become famous soon enoughfinebar4 will become famous soon enoughfinebar4 will become famous soon enough

Sooo glad to see my old changer as a guinea pig for this.....very innovative. Gotta go track down a 7949 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
Probably need new speakers Or just listen to the one that is good. Ever tried to get two of anything to do something simultaneously
finebar4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 dleaton will become famous soon enoughdleaton will become famous soon enoughdleaton will become famous soon enoughdleaton will become famous soon enoughdleaton will become famous soon enoughdleaton will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: Adding an aux input to a pre-versatile link Alpine Deck

Freshman,

I have an Alpine CDM-7854, also pre-VersatileLink, that I would like to use your mod on. Could you tell me a little more about how exactly the CD of silence triggers the unit to recognize the AUX input. Creating the CD using Audacity was a snap. Also, I have seen several links around the web where users have tried connecting the Alpine KCM-123B cable to pre-veratile link units and the problem they always have is getting the units to go into AUX mode and pick up the cable. Is it possible that the KCM-123B would work on pre-versatile link units using your CD of silence trick?
dleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Tr98185 will become famous soon enoughTr98185 will become famous soon enoughTr98185 will become famous soon enoughTr98185 will become famous soon enoughTr98185 will become famous soon enoughTr98185 will become famous soon enough

thanks
Tr98185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 JayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enoughJayinMI will become famous soon enough

Alpine KCA-121B. Aux in to AI net. These have been available for years.

Jay

JayinMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Jason B will become famous soon enoughJason B will become famous soon enoughJason B will become famous soon enoughJason B will become famous soon enoughJason B will become famous soon enoughJason B will become famous soon enough

I know this is an old post, but those links are no longer working.

I have a old alpine unit, 7982, without M bus, no AInet, and without the AUX function, but it has the 6 disc changer button on the front of the unit, and the 6 disc plug on the back, 8 pin. I want to get this to work with my ipod. I've dug around on the net, and some say you can hack the cable or possible add a relay or resitor to fool the changer cable into thinking it's connected to changer to get the ipod music to play.

One guy told me this, and I don't know what will work:

(I know a changer is needed for the radio to communicate with. That is the only way you can get that radio to switch to that input. You would have to cut into the cable and get to the left and right signal cables. Cut those 2 wires and wire up a relay to allow you to switch from the changer to the AUX input. Without a working changer, there is no way to get that deck to switch to that input. The radio has to be able to communicate with the changer in order to allow it to switch to that input.)

Someone else said this:

(When it wouldn't work I contacted Alpine tech support and he said that although this unit does not have an AUX function the unit will still play the ipod music through the cable if the pink wire on the back of the head unit is grounded (through a toggle switch) when grounded the unit will display INTERRUPT and ipods music will play through. When ungrounded it goes back to normal radio or CD input.)

Can anyone give me details on how I can get this to work?
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2019   #21

Rep Power: 0 beachbouy will become famous soon enoughbeachbouy will become famous soon enoughbeachbouy will become famous soon enoughbeachbouy will become famous soon enoughbeachbouy will become famous soon enoughbeachbouy will become famous soon enough

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I'm looking at doing something similar. I have an AUX mode on my head unit though so that makes it easier. My idea was similar to yours, but I was planning to splice into the CD Changer's cable and attach the aux LR channels. That way when I turn on AUX mode I can play inputs, but I can also switch to CD changer mode to use the changer.

My only question is- could the voltage from the AUX device cause issues with the CD Changer when it follows the line in reverse? Could it have negative effects on it? A few electronics people in my town say that it could cause damage to the output circuit of the changer having current flow in the wrong direction.

My possible solution is to add an interrupting switch for when the AUX is in use, preventing the current from reaching the changer. All I can find so far are manual button switches, but an auto relay switch would be best.

Any thoughts?
beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement