Stop MB Water Damage *Under $25* no 56k - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to circa40

Default Stop MB Water Damage *Under $25* no 56k

Sorry if something like has already been discussed.

This will help stop water from dripping onto your MB's.

I finally found another set of replacement RMBs

Buy List, everything available at either home depot or Lowes:
Thin aluminum sheet - $12
Gasket chalk - $8
Leftover sound dampening material - $5

Tools needed: Metal snips, gloves (recommended), and zinc coated screws

This is my 1st gen. 5~6 year old Kicker RMB8 (one was blown)

Rust

Aluminum sheet

Measure and cut the aluminum to the depth of the speaker + ~1" and about 1/2 the radius of the speaker

Measure up 1" and about 3/4" even slits

Cut

Bend to 90 degrees

Last edited by circa40; 05-19-2008 at 03:19 PM..
circa40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 circa40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enoughcirca40 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Stop MB Water Damage *Under $25* no 56k

Big hole

Dynashield and ED V4 (hasn't fallen off yet )

Install. Use 1 screw on top. yeah yeah, i know it looks a bit silly

Problem

Problem solved

I applied a layer of ED V1 on the bottom and above the aluminum (this might fall off tho)

Carefully install the woofer. Make sure it fits snugly. By installing the woofer now, it evenly spreads out the flanges. While the woofer is in, seal the flanges with SD material.

Out with kicker's original gasket and in with the chalk. Its kinda like a non-harding clay.

Applied.

Installed. I added a layer of 1/8" closed cell foam for the heck of it. If you look closely at the edge of the woofer flange, I added another bead of the gasket

Partially fried VC. I guess a year with 150w, LP @ 50hz with no ss filter can do that, oh well best $100 woofers that Ive ever used.

Last edited by circa40; 05-19-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Old 05-20-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 Soundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enoughSoundsaround will become famous soon enough

Very clever!
Question on the aluminum - It looks thicker than the flashing material I bought from Home Depot, what department is it in? On the label, is the .020 referring to .020" thickness?

B&C 6NDL44, BG Neo8PDR, BG Neo3PDR, Peerless XXLS
Pioneer 880PRS, Massive Audio RS40.4, JL e6450
Soundsaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsaround View Post
Very clever!
Question on the aluminum - It looks thicker than the flashing material I bought from Home Depot, what department is it in? On the label, is the .020 referring to .020" thickness?
I'm not sure about the thickness, buts slightly thicker then a soda can...maybe a bit thicker then 1/64"? I'm not totally sure but I think I got mine from Lowes
Old 05-20-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 164 dogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enoughdogstar will become famous soon enough

.020 will be 0.020" or 20 thou.
Pretty thin, soda cans are around 10-18 thou.

Nicely done, I was lucky in that my factory adaptors/speakers had rain guards already.
dogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 164 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

Interesting. Any idea how well it works? I would imagine that the flow patters for water entering the door differ for every car so results are likely to vary. When I get my next car I'll give this a shot.

Before I do it though I plan to remove the door panel and shut the door with the window up. Then have a friend (or helpful girlfriend) spray the hose on the window to see where the water actually comes down from. That would probably tell you if you even need to do this at all.
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 391 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

They have different thickness flashing at most hardware stores like lowes and THD.
Nice idea. Maybe put a small piece or two of raammat on the inside edge to combat any vibration you may get in that aluminum shield.
Good job.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
They have different thickness flashing at most hardware stores like lowes and THD.
Nice idea. Maybe put a small piece or two of raammat on the inside edge to combat any vibration you may get in that aluminum shield.
Good job.
There is one layer on both sides. I would have added more but since it was such a tight fit, the MB wouldn't have fit properly...I know, I messed up on the other side

Old 05-21-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 391 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh, I didnt see that line above the picture. Good stuff. (not edead, the idea )

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 ogahyellow will become famous soon enoughogahyellow will become famous soon enoughogahyellow will become famous soon enoughogahyellow will become famous soon enoughogahyellow will become famous soon enoughogahyellow will become famous soon enough

I did something similar to that using flexible cutting mats (http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Cutti.../dp/B0000VLJAY) that I got free, and some hot glue + CA glue. All in all my solution cost me less than 1 dollar! They have the thin mats at the dollar store near me too, so the most one might have to spend is considerably less. My baffles are HDPE so I was able to get some stickage between the 2 plastics.

The one aspect I'm not so sure of is how the aluminum/steel combination will work for oxidation. My "research" leads me to believe that the aluminum will oxidize first because it is a stronger reducing agent. If it even matters at all...which I would love input on. But I was worried, so I went with all plastic. Hooray for recycling dead dinosaurs!

I'm here to learn, and I mean business...
ogahyellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 sebberry will become famous soon enoughsebberry will become famous soon enoughsebberry will become famous soon enoughsebberry will become famous soon enoughsebberry will become famous soon enoughsebberry will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the tip! I was always wondering what people did to keep water out of expensive speakers.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 maxxis will become famous soon enoughmaxxis will become famous soon enoughmaxxis will become famous soon enoughmaxxis will become famous soon enoughmaxxis will become famous soon enoughmaxxis will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to maxxis

Might be a silly question but wont the aluminum cause resonance inside the door?

Great advice. Thanks for sharing?
maxxis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 164 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

He deadened the Aluminum. Even one sheet of deadener on an aluminum surface that is less than 1mm thick is not going to resonate at all.
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 HCCA will become famous soon enoughHCCA will become famous soon enoughHCCA will become famous soon enoughHCCA will become famous soon enoughHCCA will become famous soon enoughHCCA will become famous soon enough

Why not just use plastic Bass Boomers, and just cut the rear of them out? No real work to make them fit. Just cut out the back, and mount them in the door. You could deaden them, too, if you were worried about resonance. And, they can't corrode.
HCCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 armed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enougharmed will become famous soon enough

i should try this
armed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009   #16

Rep Power: 141 emperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enoughemperorjj1 will become famous soon enough

looks nice man. lol on your broken woofer it looks like the motor shifted too... was that after you blew it?
emperorjj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 128 jimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enoughjimp will become famous soon enough

just need to get a sub now don't I. lol...
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 andrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enoughandrewmoore13 will become famous soon enough

i like the plastic idea. more metal to rust and corrode...?
andrewmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

just go dig through your wife's [or mom's] tupperware stash.... find a bowl of the right diameter and depth and cut it in half ...voila...2 rust proof drip sheilds.
just add a layer of dampening material to make em quiet. make sure to seal off the edge[inside the door] well or the water will find it's way to your speaker baffle.
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 elnava will become famous soon enoughelnava will become famous soon enoughelnava will become famous soon enoughelnava will become famous soon enoughelnava will become famous soon enoughelnava will become famous soon enough

doesnt the outer aluminum cause more vibrations? or did you use more screws or some bad-ass adhesive?
elnava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Crusadis will become famous soon enoughCrusadis will become famous soon enoughCrusadis will become famous soon enoughCrusadis will become famous soon enoughCrusadis will become famous soon enoughCrusadis will become famous soon enough

Nice work on the plate. Thanks for sharing.
Crusadis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2011   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 fight4life28 will become famous soon enoughfight4life28 will become famous soon enoughfight4life28 will become famous soon enoughfight4life28 will become famous soon enoughfight4life28 will become famous soon enoughfight4life28 will become famous soon enough

Great idea. I will do this when I get my component speakers in.
fight4life28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 ClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enough

I bought a set of speaker baffles for my 6.5" comp set just for the water protection. But I read on here somewhere that another poster said speaker baffles killed his bass, so he cut the backs of them out.

Should I do that on mine?

Are speaker baffles not suited to block rain?

Wouldn't they have been an easier, cheaper, and equally effective to block rain as these custom made aluminum shields?

Enlighten me, gents!
ClarkDV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

if you use foam speaker baffles....cut the bottom half out to let the woofer breath.

I used 4" x 12" rubber strip from a cheap welcome mat, in my current installation and it keeps the rain off my mids, doesn't resonate, and flexes out of the way, when my window is rolled down.

IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 ClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enoughClarkDV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitaF View Post
if you use foam speaker baffles....cut the bottom half out to let the woofer breath.

I used 4" x 12" rubber strip from a cheap welcome mat, in my current installation and it keeps the rain off my mids, doesn't resonate, and flexes out of the way, when my window is rolled down.
Do you mean the entire bottom of the baffle or say 180 degrees of the 360 of the bottom, leaving one half of the magnet exposed (the bottom half)?

Thanks!
ClarkDV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement