Truck box build? Ported for 2 10" sundowns - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018   #1

Rep Power: 0 CrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enough

Default Truck box build? Ported for 2 10" sundowns

Hello, so I just ordered 2 E-10 V.3 D2 - Sundown Audio 10" 500W RMS Dual 2-Ohm EV.3 Series Subwoofers, and a 6000W / 1500W Rms Rockville amp. My plan is to build a ported box for behind my back seat of a F250 crew cab truck. I'll move the seat forward if I have to, there's not much room lol. I don't want to hurt these subs and from what I hear, proper air space is important. I'm thinking about porting the box to the passenger side cab corner. Has anyone built a custom box to spec? I've played around with the software online but I'd rather hear from someone who's been there done that. This is my first real system I've had a couple kickers in the past, the reviews on sundowns are awesome. The bigger amp allows me to add more subs later on. I'm trying to hit some serious lows that shake the whole truck, Thanks
CrewCabBassHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2018   #2

Rep Power: 74 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Truck box build? Ported for 2 10" sundowns

Well, if you want loud than go ported and tune low but not too much below the fs of the subwoofer. I put a single Sundown SD3 10 in the back of my 2014 F150 at I cubic foot net after displacement and it sounds awesome, but there isnít much space left back there so fitting two subs (two of at least this size box to sound right) is going to be real tuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B53E8DEB-BAEA-46FC-B365-25A4D7B342E3.jpg (446.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 4DB30C02-A809-4351-B578-B12F702C402D.jpg (502.8 KB, 14 views)

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 Lou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enough

you can move the back seats forward to some extent, but if you carry passengers frequently,youll be hard pressed at getting them forward enough to allow for the proper space,fortunatrely for me, the only passengers i carry are my dogs when my wife and i go camping so i made spacers to push the seats forward, about 5 inches in my tacoma double cab 4 door and it has allowed me to build an enclosure big enough for a sealed 15,quite possible a ported if i can get some things worked out, but if you do go this route, plan plan plan and measure more than once to make sure that everything will work out, also i recommend using all grade 8 hardware, have fun
Lou Frasier2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 57 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

Yeah, 2 ported back there is ambitious. A single ported SA10 might be more like it.
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018   #5

Rep Power: 74 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I was messing with a tuning program to see how those subwoofers would behave and they seem to like a small ported box. You might be able to get away with .5 cubes each tuned to 33.6 Hz if you could make that port fit. You could always use an external port since itís hidden behind the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6DF8DED-C2AF-4E32-AA83-8EEC5532F290.jpg (594.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 9EF51409-CD7B-468A-B3B2-A269F95100C1.jpg (562.0 KB, 7 views)

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
Old 10-01-2018   #6

Rep Power: 0 CrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enoughCrewCabBassHead will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the info guys, as far as a single 10" sub goes, that's doable. Can you help me out with a box design? I'm curious about the size of the port and where it should be. Obviously it's going to be a thinner truck box behind the seat. But I'm willing to move the seat forward if needed. I just need the sub to be happy. As far as lows go, should I opt for a single 12 or 15? Thanks again for all the input
Old 10-01-2018   #7

V8toilet, I appreciate the charts. Very handy
Old 10-01-2018   #8

I like the box design you came up with, a few guys on YouTube port theirs on the bottom toward the cab corner, wonder if it will hit harder that way? Not sure, I'm open to ideas, maybe a bigger sub?
Old 10-01-2018   #9

I canít comment on the port location, but I can say that my single Ported SD3 10 goes as low as my SA-12 and even lower (its tuned slightly lower though for now). It canít match the SA in SPL obviously, but in terms of SQ itís better. The SD3 isnít meant to be ported so you have to be careful for the power applied and not abuse it. Donít let that worry you though, because it gets really loud and can play with that midbass, punch you in the chest feeling many crave. For me this is perfect in a single cab truck. I tried a few other budget subs such as MTX XTL110CP sealed, JL 10wxv2 sealed, and JL CP108LG-W3v3 and nothing hit or sounded as good as this Sundown SD3 10 ported. It also sounds fantastic sealed too, which I initially did in just .5 cubes.

Old 10-01-2018   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 57 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

I can also vouch for the 10SD3. Never used it ported but sealed it's very nice. I'm using a ported SA10 now and while it doesn't sound as good (still good), it gets quite loud on just under 600 watts and can take a good bit more. Sounds like you want the SA - for serious lows that shake the whole truck. Use a 12 if you can. My 10 tuned to ~29 Hz is about 2 cubes inside including the slot vent...something larger if you're counting outer dimensions.
Old 10-01-2018   #11

12V Company:
Friday's Car Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 15 moparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enoughmoparnut will become famous soon enough

Great choice on subs. I love sundown and have used them in a few builds. My single ev3 12 is plenty. The single 10 should get loud enough for you. A couple things to consider. If you go with the single 10, you will need a smaller amp or be very aware of where you are on the volume. Gain should be set to 0 as you'll have the headroom and won't need it. I run my 12 (rated 500RMS like yours) on almost 900 daily and it takes it like a beast. At 1000 they start to have issues. Sundown put a torture video out on youtube confirming this. The other thing to consider is you'll need a little over an inch in front of the surround to ensure it doesn't hit anything.

As far as the box design, I wouldn't put them at less than 1.0 ported. I built the box for my 12 at 1.7 with a 32hz tune per spec. The 1.0 spec tuned to 32 will treat you right. Do you have the measurements for the space? I didn't see them above.
moparnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018   #12

Rep Power: 25 97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
Well, if you want loud than go ported and tune low but not too much below the fs of the subwoofer. I put a single Sundown SD3 10 in the back of my 2014 F150 at I cubic foot net after displacement and it sounds awesome, but there isnít much space left back there so fitting two subs (two of at least this size box to sound right) is going to be real tuff.

Lol... looks like a design I refunded the funds on above.

Guess it did work out after all?

Old noob...
97_Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018   #13

Rep Power: 25 97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough97_Blazer will become famous soon enough

Out of curiosity what'd your space available?
Would the box above fit if it was 16.5" tall with the top depth at 5 1/8" and 48" wide?
If that's the case tuning to 34-35hz in 1.8 or so with a round (5.9" ID) should be doable if the depth works-out.
As far as that goes I would need to draw-up the thing side view to check but those E's are under 5.75" depth so it probably would work.

This is what I mean...

That's for the SD10... a E-10 should work if the width mainly could be changed with a touch more height to get it up around 1.8ft3 net @ 35hz would be good and sound just right IMO

Old noob...

Last edited by 97_Blazer; 10-01-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-01-2018   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Blazer View Post
Lol... looks like a design I refunded the funds on above.

Guess it did work out after all?
Yes, I tried to tell you that Shredder!!! I initially did not add those extra blocks in your design and after adding the blocks it tightened up the response and sounds really awesome now. Just so everyone knows, 97_Blazer designed this box for me. I have since acquired bassbox pro that designs cut sheets for me but I'm not messing with this one because its perfect.

Old 10-01-2018   #15

I can measure my available space later tonight, and we can add a few inches to the depth if necessary ( move seat forward). You guys are giving me a bunch of good info, and I really appreciate it. Since I've got two subs coming in the mail right now, how do you guys feel about the idea of having two boxes? One behind the seat, and one under the seat. I believe I have plenty of amp to run both, (Rockville db15 6000W / 1500W RMS. I was looking at possibly a downfiring design, assuming I'll be porting it as well to the same side? (passenger) my rear seat lifts/folds up with the pull of the handle. I work in metal fab, so I can make brackets to mount the seat forward and up a little bit. I can get measurements tonight of all the space I have now. Thanks again for all the help
Old 10-01-2018   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
Yes, I tried to tell you that Shredder!!! I initially did not add those extra blocks in your design and after adding the blocks it tightened up the response and sounds really awesome now. Just so everyone knows, 97_Blazer designed this box for me. I have since acquired bassbox pro that designs cut sheets for me but I'm not messing with this one because its perfect.
Ahhh... the parts as drawn were necessary to be put in to manage volume and the sub woulda been sloppy with the added volume.

All ended up well with that enclosure I suppose... what bout the Sa-12?

It was a Sqish smaller volume/lower tuned beast and probably needed some tweaking in the 50-60hz range thru the Eq & crossover to get that beat where it should be.

But the added lows were worth it IMO cause those are not easy to compensate for too far under tuning.

Old noob...
Old 10-01-2018   #17

Ok, so behind the seat I've got 60" across the back. 24" to the window, 8" from the back of cab to the seat.

Under rear seat I have 54" across 7" from floor to seat front. 4" from floor to the seat (where it hinges) thanks for all the help
Old 10-01-2018   #18

Pics are what I have to work with behind rear seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1538441803980.jpg (1.23 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image_1538441820757.jpg (996.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg image_1538441865523.jpg (852.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-01-2018   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Blazer View Post
Ahhh... the parts as drawn were necessary to be put in to manage volume and the sub woulda been sloppy with the added volume.

All ended up well with that enclosure I suppose... what bout the Sa-12?

It was a Sqish smaller volume/lower tuned beast and probably needed some tweaking in the 50-60hz range thru the Eq & crossover to get that beat where it should be.

But the added lows were worth it IMO cause those are not easy to compensate for too far under tuning.
O the SA-12, I havenít actually built that box you modeled for it. I had actually forgotten about it but I just looked it up. Right now the SA-12 is in a custom ported box I modeled in Bassbox Pro with a 4Ē precision port round port tuned to 34 Hz. Thinking about lowering the tune to 30 Hz, but it sounds good now. Iíve been very busy with my kids football and field hockey so havenít had much time to mess with it. I put the Alpine SWS 10 in a custom ported box I also modeled in Bassbox Pro with a 3Ē precision round port and it sounds nice and the wife loves it. Round port is definitely the way to go if you want maximum SQ and SLP.

CrewCabBassHead, I cannot make heads or tales of your measurements. If you could make that more clear than I may be able to help model a box for you or if 97_Blazer could well heís very good at it. I likely wonít have time to do that though until this weekend.

Old 10-01-2018   #20

Ok did you see attached pictures?
Old 10-01-2018   #21

Below is an attatchnent of what space I'm working with. Sorry for any confusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1538447527582.jpg (670.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-01-2018   #22

Talking Re: Truck box build? Ported for 2 10" sundowns

I'll look at it tomorrow.

Old noob...
Old 10-01-2018   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

That gives you just under 2 cubes interior if you can use all the space.
Old 10-01-2018   #24

I believe I can use all the space, now I just need a box plan lol
Old 10-01-2018   #25

Being that there's 2 cubic feet, could I use both subs in the same box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement