Making RCA Cables - Page 35 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018   #851
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making RCA Cables

Don't do it all with coaxial cable. It will pass signal they way you described but it will also pass all kinds of noise. You need some type of shield to act as a drain not a noise inducer.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018   #852

Rep Power: 17 Hubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

I actually looked up price for cable and Gepco is only $.18 /ft compared the $.88/ ft for Belden Coax, so that made my decision much easier.

However, I just remembered that I will have to build a digital cable to go from BT receiver to DSP. Should I use Gepco for that as well or would coax be fitting for that application?
Hubbard 0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018   #853

Rep Power: 17 Hubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enough

They're not RCAs, but I built a couple 3.5mm aux cables to get an idea of how the sleeve I got would look.

Turned out pretty good and I think I'll be using the yellow/black for my RCAs when I do the false floor. Now to figure out a color for the speaker wires and power cables.

Gepco 61801EZ, 550 Paracord, Rean NYS231BG connectors

Gepco 61801EZ, 550 Paracord, VizGiz (Amazon) connectors

The gold seems out of place, but it matches the SO's phone case and will likely be plugged into the glovebox anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbard 0 For This Useful Post:
dhmcfadin (11-13-2018)

Old 02-08-2019   #854
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 DCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enough

Ok, so i’d like to get my cables exact length for my install and will be attempting to make my own thanks to this thread.

I was thinking about using RG59 mini coax with compression fittings for ease. My only concern is the grounding. Reading through the thread I learned that when using the mic cable I would need to float the ground, but in a coax I don’t think there is a way to do that, so is it necessary? Would it be detrimental? Should I just go the route of using mic cable and soldering up my connectors?

Thanks everyone for making a great thread!
DCB305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019   #855

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Coax cable is not grounded unless you send it through a grounding block. And on one end, you could try to remove the shielding to float it but the way coax connectors push down into the cable, that might not be possible.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019   #856
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB305 View Post
Ok, so i’d like to get my cables exact length for my install and will be attempting to make my own thanks to this thread.
Since I made my cables and decided it was no longer worth it I've just cut the cables I purchased to length and re-soldered the connectors. Still looks factory and only takes a couple minutes.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #857
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 Lstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard 0 View Post
They're not RCAs, but I built a couple 3.5mm aux cables to get an idea of how the sleeve I got would look.

Turned out pretty good and I think I'll be using the yellow/black for my RCAs when I do the false floor. Now to figure out a color for the speaker wires and power cables.
I'm interested in using paracord, can you give a brief description on how you did it? I've always used techflex, but I like the fact the paracord adds some "beef" to the cables.
Lstruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #858

Rep Power: 46 jasonflair50 will become famous soon enoughjasonflair50 will become famous soon enoughjasonflair50 will become famous soon enoughjasonflair50 will become famous soon enoughjasonflair50 will become famous soon enoughjasonflair50 will become famous soon enough

to: DCB305

i made mine exactly the way you described, but i used quad shield RG6 and I had no problems. my amps are JBL and Hifonics and the RCAs run out of an Audio Control LC2i. I dont notice any difference from the preterm streetwires rcas i was using.
jasonflair50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #859

Rep Power: 9 ajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enoughajt976 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstruck View Post
I'm interested in using paracord, can you give a brief description on how you did it? I've always used techflex, but I like the fact the paracord adds some "beef" to the cables.
When I've done this in the past, you just cut the paracord to length, pull out the inner cord material, and fuse the ends of the outer "jacket". After that it's just working it over the cable like you would TechFlex, secure with heatshrink.

Yank out the white stuff here:
ajt976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstruck View Post
I bought a couple different sizes of paracord to make sure I got the right diameter. There's a lot of options on Amazon. If you oversize it, there's a lot of shrinking/pulling you can do to get a snug fit.

Cut to length, pull out the inner fibers, for the ends you can either hit them with some heat to prevent fraying, or tuck them into the connector.
Old 05-31-2019   #861
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 Lstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enoughLstruck will become famous soon enough

I spent a bit youtubing last night. I have never worked with paracord, so I wasn't aware the inner braid was removable! Thanks for the idea!
Lstruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019   #862
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 158 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Is there any reason why this cable won’t work very well? It’s basically 35 pounds for 100ft and I can mix and match colours at that...

http://www.van-damme.com/wp-content/...ic_XKE_Mic.pdf

Seems pretty low capacitance and I can put the shield to the source end and use the twin conductors for signal and signal ground...

And then thinking plugs Like these...

https://cpc.farnell.com/rean/nys352b...old/dp/CN19683

So 4x 4m RCA’s and 8x <1.5m cables with some fudge room and spare plugs would be 65 pounds (85-90 dollars I reckon) plus some tech flex maybe 😎
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019   #863
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Is there any reason why this cable won’t work very well? It’s basically 35 pounds for 100ft and I can mix and match colours at that...

Seems pretty low capacitance and I can put the shield to the source end and use the twin conductors for signal and signal ground...

So 4x 4m RCA’s and 8x <1.5m cables with some fudge room and spare plugs would be 65 pounds (85-90 dollars I reckon) plus some tech flex maybe 😎

Looks good. Microphone cable typically works really well for RCA interconnects. I've used the Grimm Audio
TPR & TPM mic cable, and the Sommer Cable SC Peacock MK II twin-lead mic cable with excellent results.

Probably the most important aspect for car audio use is the quality & coverage of the shield(s).

That multicolored Van Damme cable is a great idea for channel I.D. and at decent pricing as well. 👍

And those Rean RCA plugs are good, too.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019   #864

Rep Power: 18 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

For those that use paracord instead of Techflex (PET expandable braided sleeving), what’s the price difference?

100’ of 1/4” or 1/2” braided PET is usually around $10. What would 100’ of 1/2” paracord cost?

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800’s on the way!
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2019   #865

Rep Power: 33 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
For those that use paracord instead of Techflex (PET expandable braided sleeving), what’s the price difference?

100’ of 1/4” or 1/2” braided PET is usually around $10. What would 100’ of 1/2” paracord cost?
IIRC, pretty similar cost. Paracord is more painful to use though.

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019   #866

Unhappy Re: Making RCA Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post

It's been said numerous times already, but while microphone cable will work, it is wildly overkill. You are paying more than necessary and will end up with a cable that is thicker and more difficult to run multiple lines of under the trim of a car. That cable is meant to be thrashed, stepped on, rolled over, coiled over and over again, and dragged on the ground.
Old 06-05-2019   #867
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard 0 View Post
It's been said numerous times already, but while microphone cable
will work, it is wildly overkill. You are paying more than necessary and will end up with a cable that is
thicker and more difficult to run multiple lines of under the trim of a car. That cable is meant to be
thrashed, stepped on, rolled over, coiled over and over again, and dragged on the ground.
That's not always true. Yes, the Grimm Audio mic cable is typical mic cable thickness and expensive,
but the Sommer Cable is really affordable for what it is and much thinner.

Both are considered about the best cable that money can buy, in terms of both construction
quality and signal quality.

I have also built a lot of my own microphone cables for my classic ribbon microphones,
so I had plenty of extra mic cable on hand to make custom-length RCA cables. And it's even less
expensive to buy in bulk, of course.

RFI & EMI can be a real problem with a lot of the old, classic ribbon microphones, so you want the
highest-qualilty shielded conductors possible. And while you *might not* need that extra noise
rejection in your particular vehicle, it is definitely not going to hurt anything when applied to any
car audio environment.

And some vehicles are notorious for inducted noise issues...Porsche, and some Audi & Mercedes, for example.

Check out the Sommer Cable SC Peacock Mk II twin lead mic cable. It's super flexible to accommodate
tight-radius turns. And it's a lot thinner than most typical mic cables, and actually thinner/smaller
diameter than many of the car audio branded RCAs that I've used!

It's actually quite affordable if you compare it to the cost of many of the upper tier car audio brands,
and probably superior in many ways. Available in black and blue. And you can get it in up to 8 stereo
pair conductors in a single jacket. The images above show the standard stereo pair cable, which
is able to be separated just like common "zip cord".

Also keep in mind that the cost listed is per Meter, not per foot...so ~$5 for a high-quality 3ft RCA
cable plus the cost of the RCA plugs of your choice is very reasonable considering the quality.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cab..._ebu_black.htm

Last edited by bbfoto; 06-05-2019 at 10:55 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019   #868
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 158 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

First effort done, labelled and braided 👍🏼 Earthier the shield at the source end only, and heatshrinked the end of the cable inside the plug to isolate the shield end so it’s not touching the plug at all

One more long run to go, plugs fit nice on sockets 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F75EA05E-9BB1-404E-8E95-65CE0FFF80A2.jpg (866.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 39E1BA9F-C667-4266-A621-E5AEBD8C990F.jpeg (751.6 KB, 22 views)
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dumdum For This Useful Post:
Lstruck (06-06-2019)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #869

Rep Power: 0 thendric18 will become famous soon enoughthendric18 will become famous soon enoughthendric18 will become famous soon enoughthendric18 will become famous soon enoughthendric18 will become famous soon enoughthendric18 will become famous soon enough

subd
thendric18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement