Making RCA Cables - Page 35 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018   #851
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 96 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Making RCA Cables

Don't do it all with coaxial cable. It will pass signal they way you described but it will also pass all kinds of noise. You need some type of shield to act as a drain not a noise inducer.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018   #852

Rep Power: 14 Hubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

I actually looked up price for cable and Gepco is only $.18 /ft compared the $.88/ ft for Belden Coax, so that made my decision much easier.

However, I just remembered that I will have to build a digital cable to go from BT receiver to DSP. Should I use Gepco for that as well or would coax be fitting for that application?
Hubbard 0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2018   #853

Rep Power: 14 Hubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enough

They're not RCAs, but I built a couple 3.5mm aux cables to get an idea of how the sleeve I got would look.

Turned out pretty good and I think I'll be using the yellow/black for my RCAs when I do the false floor. Now to figure out a color for the speaker wires and power cables.

Gepco 61801EZ, 550 Paracord, Rean NYS231BG connectors

Gepco 61801EZ, 550 Paracord, VizGiz (Amazon) connectors

The gold seems out of place, but it matches the SO's phone case and will likely be plugged into the glovebox anyway.
Hubbard 0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubbard 0 For This Useful Post:
dhmcfadin (11-13-2018)

Old 02-08-2019   #854
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 DCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enoughDCB305 will become famous soon enough

Ok, so i’d like to get my cables exact length for my install and will be attempting to make my own thanks to this thread.

I was thinking about using RG59 mini coax with compression fittings for ease. My only concern is the grounding. Reading through the thread I learned that when using the mic cable I would need to float the ground, but in a coax I don’t think there is a way to do that, so is it necessary? Would it be detrimental? Should I just go the route of using mic cable and soldering up my connectors?

Thanks everyone for making a great thread!
DCB305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019   #855

Rep Power: 80 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Coax cable is not grounded unless you send it through a grounding block. And on one end, you could try to remove the shielding to float it but the way coax connectors push down into the cable, that might not be possible.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019   #856
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 96 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB305 View Post
Ok, so i’d like to get my cables exact length for my install and will be attempting to make my own thanks to this thread.
Since I made my cables and decided it was no longer worth it I've just cut the cables I purchased to length and re-soldered the connectors. Still looks factory and only takes a couple minutes.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement