Pioneer Z Series - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 358 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Default Pioneer Z Series

Pioneer is releasing a new line of drivers called the Z series. Mostly a bunch of ad copy, and of course "Hi-Res Certified." The complete line is scheduled to be released by the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they rate. They also have a new line of D series speakers as well.

Z-Series | Pioneer Electronics USA

D-Series | Pioneer Electronics USA

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017   #2

Banned

Rep Power: 0 DC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enoughDC/Hertz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pioneer Z Series

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...g-back-up.html
DC/Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2018   #3

Rep Power: 16 linedaze will become famous soon enoughlinedaze will become famous soon enoughlinedaze will become famous soon enoughlinedaze will become famous soon enoughlinedaze will become famous soon enoughlinedaze will become famous soon enough

I have been interested in those too

Last edited by linedaze; 08-28-2018 at 01:35 PM..
linedaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018   #4

Rep Power: 83 Arete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enoughArete will become famous soon enough

Frequency range all the way to 96khz. Even my dog can enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: png 83ADCEFC-160A-43F4-9F2A-395FA6510E5E.png (91.7 KB, 16 views)

Arete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Arete For This Useful Post:
abusiveDAD (1 Week Ago)
Old 08-29-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Anyone get a chance to install/hear these yet?
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2018   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 tophatjimmy will become famous soon enoughtophatjimmy will become famous soon enoughtophatjimmy will become famous soon enoughtophatjimmy will become famous soon enoughtophatjimmy will become famous soon enoughtophatjimmy will become famous soon enough

I've installed a couple sets.

No critical listening time, but my initial impressions are that these are nothing overly special.

Cone material looks neat, basic x-over, stamped basket. Nothing stood out to me as innovative. 30hz to 96khz response? C'mon guys, really??

The last Pioneer speakers that even blipped my radar were the old PRS components with the microfiber surrounds. Those were nice.
tophatjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 358 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatjimmy View Post
I've installed a couple sets.

No critical listening time, but my initial impressions are that these are nothing overly special.

Cone material looks neat, basic x-over, stamped basket. Nothing stood out to me as innovative. 30hz to 96khz response? C'mon guys, really??

The last Pioneer speakers that even blipped my radar were the old PRS components with the microfiber surrounds. Those were nice.
So... "no critical listening," but you have determined that they are "nothing overly special."

I prefer to judge a driver on how it performs in a given application than how it looks, or what is on the ad copy. The exaggerated frequency response claims are nothing new for Pioneer. I believe they use either the -10 or -20dB down point to determine their published frequency response.

I'm still waiting for a legitimate review on these. The advantage that I have seen on these from the beginning is the low crossover point on the tweeters. This isn't all that common, even in car audio branded sets costing quite a bit more. Of course is these have high distortion of poor frequency response, the low crossover point doesn't really matter anyway.

I'm also curious to see what "street" pricing end up being once these have flooded the distribution chains and start showing up on the usual sites at a significantly reduced cost.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
Old 09-17-2018   #8

Rep Power: 20 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

I just installed a set of the TS-Z65CH components in my 2005 Silverado Crew cab. I never installed the included passive crossovers as during the install, I also installed a Dayton DSP-408.

It's very difficult for me to comment at this time because this is also my first DSP and I'm struggling getting the tune.

Hopefully in time, I'll have that worked out and will be able to provide some good feedback here.
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Rep Power: 42 DarmoZ will become famous soon enoughDarmoZ will become famous soon enoughDarmoZ will become famous soon enoughDarmoZ will become famous soon enoughDarmoZ will become famous soon enoughDarmoZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGun View Post
I just installed a set of the TS-Z65CH components in my 2005 Silverado Crew cab. I never installed the included passive crossovers as during the install, I also installed a Dayton DSP-408.

It's very difficult for me to comment at this time because this is also my first DSP and I'm struggling getting the tune.

Hopefully in time, I'll have that worked out and will be able to provide some good feedback here.
Hi are you still running the Z series, if so what are your impressions?

Iv'e seen that they have racked up more review on crutchfield now and they are all super positive, one guy replaces a $1500 focal set with these and preferred them.
DarmoZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,177 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarmoZ View Post

Iv'e seen that they have racked up more review on crutchfield now and they are all super positive, one guy replaces a $1500 focal set with these and preferred them.
be weary of subjective reviews from random people on the internet as you never know the back story. Not saying they are better or worse, just saying you should be taking reviews from random people with a grain of salt or even ignoring them as i do. When i look at reviews for anything, i just look for repeated negative reviews at this point.

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
rton20s (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Rep Power: 31 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarmoZ View Post

Here's a professional review of the TS-Z65CH. Bear in mind most of his reviews are kind of generic and similar. He rarely says something is terrible/bad. I also doubt he would put down a pioneer product (advertising $$).

https://pasmag.com/technology/test-r...speaker-review

Last edited by Patriot83; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:51 AM..
Patriot83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Rep Power: 20 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

Well I'm just a random dude on the internet, but I've had these in my truck for over a year now and I'll say that I continue to be impressed by these speakers. Would buy them again in a heartbeat. They perform great in every aspect including excellent clarity and depth, and excellent mid-bass.

These are all out stellar and I highly recommend them.

- Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hykbooks View Post
Dam the day I went the dsp and helix route.

Dam this dsp, and all this crappy car audio journey
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Rep Power: 4 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

I haven't tried the Z-series yet, but I do have the previous line of D-series (not the current line of D-series) - I have the TS-D6902R and the TS-D1702R in my 2012 Impala and love those speakers. The bass from them is REALLY good and the overall sound is great as well. Unfortunately, they are hard to find now and the current D-series don't seem to be nearly as good (from what I've read).

I would like to try the Z-series eventually. Like mentioned elsewhere, it's unfortunate that they don't offer a 6"x9" speaker in the Z-series. While I understand that true "audiophiles" don't like speakers that aren't round, I've found that 6"x9" speakers usually produce very good bass that you just dont' get with most 6.5" speakers. For the "average Joe", a 6x9 speaker is a great option.
jtrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot83 View Post
Here's a professional review of the TS-Z65CH. Bear in mind most of his reviews are kind of generic and similar. He rarely says something is terrible/bad. I also doubt he would put down a pioneer product (advertising $$).

https://pasmag.com/technology/test-r...speaker-review
I trust Gary Springgay's reviews for PASMAG about as much as I trust anonymous random reviews on sites like Crutchfield. I challenge you to find a single negative review that Gary has ever done for that magazine. The only thing worthwhile that he does are objective measurements. That wasn't done in this case.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Rep Power: 31 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I trust Gary Springgay's reviews for PASMAG about as much as I trust anonymous random reviews on sites like Crutchfield. I challenge you to find a single negative review that Gary has ever done for that magazine. The only thing worthwhile that he does are objective measurements. That wasn't done in this case.
That was pretty much my point. So if we're not to trust a "professional" reviewer or a random user...it's just a crapshoot other than the measurements?

I would expect the pioneer's to sound decent for a $300 big brand speaker.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot83 View Post
That was pretty much my point. So if we're not to trust a "professional" reviewer or a random user...it's just a crapshoot other than the measurements?

I would expect the pioneer's to sound decent for a $300 big brand speaker.
Pretty much. Unless there is someone you know and trust who has a reasonable amount of experience and can advise you on performance, you're likely out of luck. If I don't have personal experience with a product, 9 times out of 10 I'll take objective measurements over anything else. That 1 time out of 10, I'll take objective measurements along with subjective reviews from a source I trust.

The only other thing I have heard about the Z series was that the tweeter can be a bright. That was from Dean at 5 Star in some of their videos. Again, subjective and I have no idea what Dean actually likes other than he generally prefers the sound of Morel over Focal. So... who knows?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

yeah I don't know man. I would tend to believe most of what someone says that installs systems for a living that's not trying to sell me something. I'd believe some people on here. I'm also a realist but I mostly believe the 5 star guys and some of the professional reviewers to a point. As for Springgay, his reviews just aren't detailed or critical enough. Only 3 of his reviews have stood out to me as being particularly good. Still haven't seen him say anything bad about anything. I look mostly for his lab measurements. He did say they sound good and was putting them in his truck. He doesn't put most of the equipment in his truck so that is something that can be said about the Z speakers he reviewed. He must have liked them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement