DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Alpha Damp - My first impressions of this new CLD...

11K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  sonikaccord 
#1 ·
ANT was kind enough to send me over some of the new Alpha Damp, so I thought I would let everyone know what I think of the new product.

First impressions.
Yeah lets just say it's f*cking insane! Anyone who dares to compare this to Peel & Seal needs to be punched in the brain.

Specs:
Alpha Damp measures up to the specs published, 10 mil foil, 60mils thick.
Because of the butyl adhesive as well as the thicker foil, the product weighs in at .6 pounds per square foot with the release paper according to my scale. That is the same as Damplifier Pro.
The sheer strength of the constraining layer is astonishing, nothing even comes close.

That is a 3.2 pound free wight being supported by Alpha Damp, spanning a 10" gap. Every other product I've tested and/or used can barely support it's own weight without sagging. A 1 pounds weight folds the other products in half (with exception to Damplifier, Damplifier Pro, and SDS CLD Tiles).

Cutting and installing it:
I actually have a guillotine for cutting these products and have never had an issue, it has made quick work of every product I've had (some 30 of them). Alpha Damp is the one exception, it took a bit of effort to slice through the stuff. A utility knife... again had some issues. Scissors, no way. Tin snips or some sheers are going to be the best method IF you have to cut it. Since Alpha Damp comes in a smaller 10.4" x 14.4" size, the need for cutting has been limited.

The adhesive is awesome. Alpha Damp seems to have a stronger initial bond than Damplifier and Damplifier Pro with the adhesion strength getting stronger over time.
Heat is not an issue for it. I temp tested it at 250°F for an hour and a half and it didn't melt or budge a single millimeter.

Performance:
Based on the six tests that I ran, Alpha Damp performs better than Damplifier Pro. And this is based on how well the product can reduce and control vibrations.

Strictly based on the data that I've collected and the stress tests that I perform, I am very impressed. Not a single corner has been cut to produce this fine product and it shows.
I believe everyone will be very pleased with the performance and quality of Alpha Damp.

Up close and personal pic of Alpha Damp:

See less See more
#8 ·
That is a 3.2 pound free wight being supported by Alpha Damp, spanning a 10" gap. Every other product I've tested and/or used can barely support it's own weight without sagging. A 1 pounds weight folds the other products in half (with exception to Damplifier, Damplifier Pro, and SDS CLD Tiles).

Cutting and installing it:
I actually have a guillotine for cutting these products and have never had an issue, it has made quick work of every product I've had (some 30 of them). Alpha Damp is the one exception, it took a bit of effort to slice through the stuff. A utility knife... again had some issues. Scissors, no way. Tin snips or some sheers are going to be the best method IF you have to cut it. Since Alpha Damp comes in a smaller 10.4" x 14.4" size, the need for cutting has been limited.
That's all well and good but you still have to work it into the contours of the vehicle which looks like it is going to be a real ***** to accomplish inside a door panel.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

#15 ·
Found an 8" diameter stainless bowl, good enough?

A 10.4" x 10.4ish piece of Alpha Damp.

Applied by hand, without a roller.

Again Alpha Damp is meant to be used on the flat portions of the metal panels... but it will conform. :cool:

Are we good now? :confused:

Edit: Oh and I will post another pic tomorrow after it sits for a while to show that it doesn't pull away.

#18 · (Edited)
Don't you think a product review by the rep of the company is just a little bit biased??? I don't care if it was the worst engineered product ever, would a rep of the company actually say that and give a proper review? Send it to someone on the forum for an unbiased opinion....then it will hold more weight (at least with me).

In fact, send some to PPI-ART COLLECTOR and left him try it out.....or is he to "wussy" for you? (nice word for a rep to be using, btw)

#19 ·
Well if you knew me better you would understand where I'm coming from. I don't blow smoke up people's asses, I don't spread BS, and I will most definitely not post a positive review just to make something look good. I've been doing this for years and I am completely unbiased when it comes to testing and reviewing products. I have 30+ other brands/products sitting right here that I use as a benchmark. Hell I've sent off dozens of samples of competing products so people can compare for themselves.

Technically this is not a Second Skin product. Please go and read the Alpha Damp threads. This product was designed and produced by someone else (ANT) and is only being sold through Second Skin Audio to comply with the non-compete agreement that both companies agreed to.

What is wrong with wussy? I didn't personally call anyone a wussy, it was used as in a generalized term. For example, if you (anyone) are a wussy, you will not be able to contour this product.

And by all means if Bret wants to try it out for himself, all he has to do is ask.

So sorry if I take offense to what you said, but I hold myself to a highly unbiased standard and I don't like it when people think I am just here to make a sale or push product.

#23 ·
Here are pics from just a few minutes ago.

Trying to peel it off...

Niebur3, there are many people who value my opinion because of how unbiased I am, that is why I posted this. Obviously you think otherwise... I can't change your opinion of me no matter how hard I tried, even if I wanted to put forth that much effort.

If my "wussy" statement bothered Bret as much as it seems to bother you, I apologize Bret. I seriously was using "you" as a generalized term. If you read any of my posts across the dozens of forums you will see that I never attack, belittle, or call people names. Seriously it's like arguing on the phone or internet... it accomplishes nothing.

#24 ·
Thanks for the demo.
Looks like it will do what I need it to do.
You had me backing away from it with the weight test.
I have never used CLD before so I want to make sure I don't make an expensive mistake.
Good stuff.

Now go clean your bowl off. :p:p:p

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.