IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
Since when was Phonix Gold a hi-end brand for them to try to retail a sub over 800.00?? I know the old school PG was top notch, but the new stuff is pretty much crap and by looking at that sub am proven right. Sorry guys but thats just my opinion.

And am sure you can find them for less than 300 brand new.
You have no clue what your talking about (sorry, didnt realize someone already explained the value of it). This is not a new sub. Its from almost 10yrs ago! The original titanium series and is one of the best sq subs ever produced. Anyone that has ever spent time with one knows exactly what it can do (nothing it can't do really?) They were very expensive and shops didn't exactly keep them in stock because of it so they didn't get a ton of exposure. That and the insane amount of depth!

What was said earlier is absolutely true....bigger box for the TI will do wonders. The JL in that boxy is going to lend itself to the booty side (gotta member the market for that setup in a shop a smaller box (although just slightly) will fix some of the complaints. They are great sub as well!
the ultimo's are nice but never "wowed" me?

Last edited by rexroadj; 09-03-2011 at 12:52 PM..
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite!

Quote:
The newer version suck, well besides the PRO. I tried the second version and was very dissapointed with SQ. The spl was there but SQ was poor. I never got to listen to the third version but wouldnt even bother since I have the first and very happy with them.

If I was to replace those, I might go with the Ultimo SC or a Fi X or even a W6V2. Am looking to get a single 10 or 8 that wont take much space and put out some good SQ. Not looking for spl or thousands of watts, as I will only feed it a good 500watts or less.
Just curious.....how did you run the pro? I have never heard someone that preferred the original over the pro? Not saying its not subjective just curious about how you ran it? The pro is one of my favs if I can fit it, afford power, and the sub itself as well
I do love the originals too. I also found the vmax really good for the $ as wells so I may be out in left field? Wouldn't be the first time
Old 09-03-2011   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

Just put another hour into dialing in the PG and it sounds absolutely amazing! To the point that I checked my card to see if the dealer had charged me for the Morel yet, yes he did. If not, I was going to cancel and say thats it! This is what I have been looking for in a sub!

This is an extremely musical sub yet is able to hit the low notes with authority. It links up with my comps WONDERFULLY, sooooo much more so than the Jl, it was really no contest. I cant imagine the Morel is going to be any better than the Ti, I just dont see how it could. The Ti has that nearly magical quality of disappearing yet you always know its there, god damn it I love this sub!

The Phoenix Gold Ti12d elite is more than likely the best sub I have ever owned.

I am still going to shoot out the Morel (I think), I just dont see where there is room for improvement over the PG. If I keep the PG I will pick up a 1.5-1.7 enclosure, I think there is room for improvement with the larger box.

FYI I put the Jl up for sale in the classified section today, hope to get some bites. There may be a brand new, in the box Morel Ultimo SC12 following it next week. I just havent decided if testing it is worth the depreciation. On the other hand, damn, its right here in my face!!!! LOL

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon

Last edited by oldskewl; 09-03-2011 at 12:54 PM..
oldskewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Glad you like the Ti. I've always liked it. It's leaps and bounds above the entry level Ti. I know what you're saying about the Ultimo. The Ti is definately going to have more output but I think you'll be surprised at it's ability to integrate and hit those low notes. The choice is yours... The depreciation from simply testing the sub for a few hours will be very low.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
Glad you like the Ti. I've always liked it. It's leaps and bounds above the entry level Ti. I know what you're saying about the Ultimo. The Ti is definately going to have more output but I think you'll be surprised at it's ability to integrate and hit those low notes. The choice is yours... The depreciation from simply testing the sub for a few hours will be very low.
I have to agree with you about the depreciation, I FOR SURE am going to test it, how often does a person have a chance to have three subs like this at the same time? Im taking advantage of the situation, Im auditioning them all and keeping the one I like!

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon
Old 09-03-2011   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Viejo Y Lento will become famous soon enoughViejo Y Lento will become famous soon enoughViejo Y Lento will become famous soon enoughViejo Y Lento will become famous soon enoughViejo Y Lento will become famous soon enoughViejo Y Lento will become famous soon enough

oldskewl
That Ti12d really sux. I think you should box it up and send it to me to go with my sucky Ti Elite 951 an Ti Elite 6 components.
Viejo Y Lento is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo Y Lento View Post
oldskewl
That Ti12d really sux. I think you should box it up and send it to me to go with my sucky Ti Elite 951 an Ti Elite 6 components.
LMAO!

Old 09-03-2011   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 176 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Just curious.....how did you run the pro? I have never heard someone that preferred the original over the pro? Not saying its not subjective just curious about how you ran it? The pro is one of my favs if I can fit it, afford power, and the sub itself as well
I do love the originals too. I also found the vmax really good for the $ as wells so I may be out in left field? Wouldn't be the first time
I didnt say the original stroker was better than the Pro. I said the Pro is the better than all of the newer ones. I only hear the Pro but never owned it. I had a chance to buy two but I slept on the auction and ended 250.00 for two Pro's.

Like I said before I didnt know shit about the PG, I guess you didnt read my earlier post.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Couldnt resist, I ordered a 1.44 box today. Gotta give the Morel its best chance!

Old 09-03-2011   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I didnt say the original stroker was better than the Pro. I said the Pro is the better than all of the newer ones. I only hear the Pro but never owned it. I had a chance to buy two but I slept on the auction and ended 250.00 for two Pro's.

Like I said before I didnt know shit about the PG, I guess you didnt read my earlier post.
Actually I did read your earlier posts.....thats why I edited it!!!!!! read between the ( ). Its just painful to read things that are so negative when they say they dont know anything about it? Why bother saying anything? Thats the stuff thats just not needed and very dangerous to those that are on here seeking knowledge. Now, dont take this to heart, I have read countless posts of yours and its not like you dont know what your talking about. 99% of the time you provide great insight! I hope you dont take offense to what I wrote, I was just adding some insight to the history of the woofer.

WOW 2 Pro's for $250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats insane!!!!!!!!!!! I miss read what you wrote about the pro vs orig. Not that the latter could not be preffered of course.... The regular stroker (from the same lineup with the pro) I found ok, but extremely box specifiic and required a great deal of break in time. Still not something I would want in every situation.... If you wanted to rumble your kidneys they could do it though
I have not heard the newer strokers though? Or anything new from CV for that matter with the exception of the pro audio line (local shop brought them in for a specific market that is looking for loud and nasty sounding stuff) THEY WERE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe people want that in the car!
Again, I did edit the post (it says sorry, didnt realize someone already explained the value of it!) I did it on my phone earlier in the day and didnt realize that there was more to the thread until I looked at it later (thought my post was deleted till I saw it way down the line). I am sorry if it came across that bad, certainly didnt mean to offend you in the manner it was taken. I do think some more research should be done before words that negative are said about something in the future?
Old 09-03-2011   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 176 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

I didnt take anything personally, and I understand the whole dont throw your opinion if you've never tried it concept. I just couldnt resist on how ugly the PG looks, it looks cheaply made, but then again I've never seen it in person. I also thought it was a newer model from the crappy stuff PG now makes.

No hard feelings, I hope you dont take it personally either. Thanks.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
Old 09-06-2011   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

In your testing, you've only measured the quality of your install, not actual sub capabilities (which may or not be a goood thing). You have, however, exposed your lack of midbass.

Try listening to your system with only the subwoofer on and tell us what differences you notice between the subs.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
In your testing, you've only measured the quality of your install, not actual sub capabilities (which may or not be a goood thing). You have, however, exposed your lack of midbass.

Try listening to your system with only the subwoofer on and tell us what differences you notice between the subs.
Thats pretty much the only way to actually see/hear if there are any differences. Just the sub on everything else off, ofcourse after that you can turn on the rest of the system and hear how it blends in.

Old 09-07-2011   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Thats pretty much the only way to actually see/hear if there are any differences. Just the sub on everything else off, ofcourse after that you can turn on the rest of the system and hear how it blends in.
There was a MASSIVE difference between the Jl and the PG and I didnt have to turn off my front end to hear it.

I prefer to do my tuning with ALL my drivers being driven.

Last edited by oldskewl; 09-07-2011 at 06:33 AM..
Old 09-07-2011   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

Sold the Jl! Gave a guy a fair deal, $375. He had to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to get it so I gave him a good price.

Anyway, I did slip the Jl in so the guy could audition it, and I tell you what, the way that sub moves air will be missed by me. No, its not as accurate as say the PG or I am sure the Morel, but if you want to feel the electricity in the air that JL humps.

Moving on, I have the PG for sale on fleabay, enclosure and all. Reasoning? Well, the sub sounds AWESOME, however, like most 1000 watt RMS and up subs, it really needs some power to make it sound alive. That means running my volume higher than I normally would and I dont like that. At easy listening levels there just isnt much going on with the PG. Smooth yes. Punchy no. Turn up the volume to 3/4 though and DAMN! The PG comes alive and is amazing. After a week with the PG my ears are ringing so it must go.

I am counting on the Ultimo SC to be everything it is said to be.

I figure being a 600 watt driver the SC will be more responsive at lower listening volumes when compared to the PG or JL.

Old 09-07-2011   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post

Ummm, no, I tested how two different subs performed in my install. Yes, I am lacking potent mid-bass, just like with most other two way front ends. I am searching for the subwoofer that covers this flaw most effectively.

Old 09-07-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl View Post
Ummm, no, I tested how two different subs performed in my install. Yes, I am lacking potent mid-bass, just like with most other two way front ends. I am searching for the subwoofer that covers this flaw most effectively.
I tell ya man... I switched out my mids to some Dynaudio MW160s... eq'd the frontstage and damn! much more midbass! Now I have to turn the morel to zero on my head unit. That sub has EXCELLENT output and hits very low. I have to say this is absolutely the best subwoofer I have ever owned. I really can't see how anyone would not like it. Every beat is so fast and responsive! I was playing the Focal #8 CD yesterday (track 4) and man... that thing dug deep. I'm a happy fanboy lol.

PS... I noticed that you keep ordering prefab boxes... That sub deserves a custom built enclosure. It'll be worth it.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
Old 09-07-2011   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
I tell ya man... I switched out my mids to some Dynaudio MW160s... eq'd the frontstage and damn! much more midbass! Now I have to turn the morel to zero on my head unit. That sub has EXCELLENT output and hits very low. I have to say this is absolutely the best subwoofer I have ever owned. I really can't see how anyone would not like it. Every beat is so fast and responsive! I was playing the Focal #8 CD yesterday (track 4) and man... that thing dug deep. I'm a happy fanboy lol.

PS... I noticed that you keep ordering prefab boxes... That sub deserves a custom built enclosure. It'll be worth it.
I like 3,4,5 and 11 on that CD. The JL was on its own box from factory, but I agree the Ultimo and the PG should have their own custom enclosure. If you liked the midbass on #3, try track 11.

Old 09-07-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Mteks will become famous soon enoughMteks will become famous soon enoughMteks will become famous soon enoughMteks will become famous soon enoughMteks will become famous soon enoughMteks will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear you are letting the Ti go, it's one of the first subs I ever heard that actually made me concerned standing too close to it while in action. I still remember it form 8-9 yrs ago. I am sure there are new subs that can out perform, but one thing is for sure that is a monster that pounds.
Mteks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I like 3,4,5 and 11 on that CD. The JL was on its own box from factory, but I agree the Ultimo and the PG should have their own custom enclosure. If you liked the midbass on #3, try track 11.
Yes! Track 11 does rock! I was rocking that one really loud yesterday while driving down I-5. I turned my sub off just to feel my pants move from the midbass. I really like Focal #8... It's my favorite of the Focal CDs.

Old 09-11-2011   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Still waiting for the Morel... stupid holiday!!

Old 09-11-2011   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Sub'd for outcome.

bertholomey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

Well the Morel has arrived. First impressions: Underbuilt. Cheap. Small. Lightweight. When set beside the 12w7 or the Ti12d there is no comparison, the Ultimo SC looks like a POS. I havent had a sub that looks this cheap in my car for at least 15 years.

The Morel feels like a frisbie when compared to the w7 or Ti12d, lets hope it sounds better than it looks. By a mile.

I have a bad RCA in my car so will not be doing any testing until Thursday evening, will give you an update then.

I am seriously disappointed with the build quality on the SC.

Last edited by oldskewl; 09-14-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Old 09-14-2011   #49
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

It looks like an oversized Morel MW series midbass.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

To me that's the look of SQ

The huge magnets & all that is more SPL....

Looking forward to your review, I was planning on buying a Ultimo in the next week or two. I was thinking maybe I should send you my old IDQ12 to compare how that sounds......
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement