IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Default Re: IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
To me that's the look of SQ

The huge magnets & all that is more SPL....

Looking forward to your review, I was planning on buying a Ultimo in the next week or two. I was thinking maybe I should send you my old IDQ12 to compare how that sounds......
I agree. SQ subs are usually dwarfed my SPL monsters. I feel that the Morel is built well. Ever hold a idqv2 in your hand? How about a Stereo Integrity MKlll? The Morel is built ALOT better than even the IDQv3. The baskets crack all the time on the v3 due to fragile material used for the basket. I think you'll like the sound of the Morel... update us when ya can.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!

Last edited by FartinInTheTub; 09-14-2011 at 09:51 AM..
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 181 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: IN MY CAR TEST: Jl 12w7 vs Morel Ultimo 12 SC vs Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite!

Agreed. I've had a W7, IDMAX, W10Gti, and felt the Morel is extremely well built. A lot of attention to detail and good quality parts used for the construction.

chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

Taking the afternoon off just to get my install done! I purchased a new RCA, I have the Morel mounted and I am about to tackle the install. Look for another update with first impressions later this afternoon!

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon
oldskewl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!!

The Morel and new RCA are in! WOW! HOLY F***!

After an hour of demo time here are my thoughts:

The Morel is phenomenal! Extremely musical. Very transparent. You can almost see the fingers on the bass string with the Ultimo SC. This sub will get decently loud however its forte is SQ. It digs deep yet never over powers the rest of the system like the Jl or Ti12d.

I absolutely love this subwoofer and am glad I went down this road.

<CDA-9887*, Morel MT-23/Supremo 6, Soundstream Ref 414s, PG ZPA 0.5, Ultimo SC12> *P99rs coming soon
Old 09-14-2011   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 madmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enough

what size box is the ultimo in? sorry if i missed it.
madmaxz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 181 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting review... I almost expected you to prefer the W7 based on the first two reviews, but intruiging that you like the Morel. I absolutely love the one in my truck, never thought I would be completely satisfied without that "eyeball rattling" bass.

Old 09-14-2011   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

LOL..... & to think you just stated it's build quality wasn't good & wondered how it could improve on the PG Ti sub....

thanks for the writeup & spending your money testing out a few subs for us...... however I was hopeing you didn't like it......now it's another reason I must get one.
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 madmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enoughmadmaxz will become famous soon enough

^ LOL im already looking for the best price..
madmaxz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Told ya so.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
Old 09-14-2011   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxz View Post
^ LOL im already looking for the best price..
Got mine for $375 to the door from an authorized dealer, let me know if you need the hookup...

Old 09-14-2011   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewl View Post
Got mine for $375 to the door from an authorized dealer, let me know if you need the hookup...
VERY good price. I paid $300 used.

Old 09-14-2011   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Interesting review... I almost expected you to prefer the W7 based on the first two reviews, but intruiging that you like the Morel. I absolutely love the one in my truck, never thought I would be completely satisfied without that "eyeball rattling" bass.
I have no doubt there will be times when I miss that "electric" bass from the Jl, however I feel the accuracy of the Morel is more than a fair trade off.

Hmmmm, a 12w7 and an Ultimo SC in the trunk with a servo controlled A/B switch?

Old 09-14-2011   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxz View Post
what size box is the ultimo in? sorry if i missed it.
1.44 cubic feet, 3/4" MDF sealed with no fill.

Old 09-14-2011   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

1.44 cu.ft. sealed... Hmmm... going to have to rethink my enclosure size.

Old 09-14-2011   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
1.44 cu.ft. sealed... Hmmm... going to have to rethink my enclosure size.
What are you running your SC in? Initial thought was maybe, just maybe a hair smaller enclosure would be better for the SC, say 1.3-1.35?

Old 09-14-2011   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 Viggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enoughViggen will become famous soon enough

Send DAT a PM, he can hook you up. I believe there are others on this site who are also authorized... I just can't remember their name. DAT is who I have chatted with a few times about these subs. My only hangup was what amp..... thinking my 300w Adcom wasn't enough. He carries Sinfoni & a few others but I think I am going the JL HD or Alpine PDX route mostly due to size reasons. It's just 600w, 750w, 1000w, 1200w etc??

Can you buy a few different amps to try out for us as well

O yea.... most stuff I read 1.5-2 cu ft is what the 12 needs, I think some prefer closer to 2cu ft
Viggen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
To me that's the look of SQ

The huge magnets & all that is more SPL....

Looking forward to your review, I was planning on buying a Ultimo in the next week or two. I was thinking maybe I should send you my old IDQ12 to compare how that sounds......
Go for it!

Old 09-14-2011   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Send DAT a PM, he can hook you up. I believe there are others on this site who are also authorized... I just can't remember their name. DAT is who I have chatted with a few times about these subs. My only hangup was what amp..... thinking my 300w Adcom wasn't enough. He carries Sinfoni & a few others but I think I am going the JL HD or Alpine PDX route mostly due to size reasons. It's just 600w, 750w, 1000w, 1200w etc??

Can you buy a few different amps to try out for us as well

O yea.... most stuff I read 1.5-2 cu ft is what the 12 needs, I think some prefer closer to 2cu ft
I tried DAT, great guy and service he was just having problems with his Morel hookup.

Yes, you will be short on power by quite a bit if you only use 300 watts. Judging how my SC reacts with 1100w+ RMS of class A/B power I would say a person would be fine with 700-800 watts RMS. I hear it smear a touch on high output bass lines with too much power on it, back it off a touch and it clears right up. I am sure it could handle 800 RMS all day long with no issues.

HA! Buy a few amps, Ive been down that road and I am a firm believer in the Phoenix Gold ZPA line. I will NEVER get rid of mine (I purchased it new 8 years ago), 300 watts RMS x 2 or 1000+ watts RMS bridged into a 4/2/1 ohm load, yummy! It is a well of power that never seems to have a limit. (The only sub that could handle that much power all the while asking for more was the Ti12d Elite!).

I would love to have a pair of ZPA's on my front end but my car just doesnt have the current.

About enclosure size, I think your recommendations are for the Ultimo and not the Ultimo SC, although it wouldnt be the first time I was mistaken!

Old 09-14-2011   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

Its time for the final rankings!

3rd Place: Phoenix Gold Ti12d Elite.

Yep, my "best sounding sub ever" finishes a close third in this powerhouse group. The PG is an outstanding subwoofer, truly a top flight unit that sounds excellent. It is a great blend; deep, tight and fat all at the same time. The problem with the PG is that it needs so much power, it ran my ZPA 0.5 right into the ground. This is the only sub that has pushed my ZPA to the limit, laughed it off and then asked for more! Straight up, this sub needs power! I believe it would be happy with 2000w RMS or more! The only drawback to this is that at lower listening levels the 12d just doesnt do much, you have to feed it power to make it work. No movement, no air, no impact. This is why I had to place this excellent subwoofer in 3rd place, in the real world not many people will be able to utilize it to its potential.

2nd Place: Jl12w7 Prowedge

The Jl is a wonderful subwoofer. It hits low, gets loud and really moves some air, you can feel the tingle! I have to think the w7 fell short in this comparison do to the fact it was in a large-ish Prowedge enclosure. If I had purchased this sub in a smaller enclosure I may never have had a reason to look for another sub, its that good. The problem is that the Prowedge allowed the Jl to be a touch boomy. Maybe I should have removed the sub and glued a block of wood inside the box, too late now! Overall I really like this sub, especially in a SQL application. I cant help but wonder what a pair of 10w7's in a small sealed enclosure would sound like...

1st Place: Morel Ultimo SC 12

Believe the hype, the Ultimo SC is the real deal! It is extremely musical, it paints an image so well, you can see and feel each note on the bass guitar. I now hear notes on bass lines I had never realized were there, they were smeared by the other subs reviewed. The Morel gets low, has solid impact and is everything it is said to be. It disappears into your soundstage yet hits with authority when the music asks it to. It has been said elsewhere and it is true, the Ultimo is very quick, there is no overhang from any notes whatsoever. Output is not on par with the Ti or Jl, however the trade off of accuaracy is more than worth it. If you need more output, buy two or step up to the plate and pick up the full on Ultimo (1000 watts RMS min needed). FYI the SC has a problem handling power past 900w RMS or so, it is well suited for 700-800 watts RMS (A/B power).

Winner: Morel Ultimo SC

PS Anybody have a RTA I can borrow for a few days? I would be glad to pay shipping both ways!

Last edited by oldskewl; 09-14-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-14-2011   #70
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 277 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Could be the low inductance?
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Could be the low inductance?
?? Please elaborate...

Old 09-14-2011   #72
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 277 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

The 4 ohm SC is like .85 mH and the 2 ohm is .27 mH, which is on the low side of things for car audio. Low inductance means the driver can naturally play higher- inductance is a passive low pass XO.

The inductance is lowish but so is the throw...a large VS with a short winding, very pro audio style.

Some people believe that low inductance makes for easier blending. Whereas others just see it as a built in passive filter.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
The 4 ohm SC is like .85 mH and the 2 ohm is .27 mH, which is on the low side of things for car audio. Low inductance means the driver can naturally play higher- inductance is a passive low pass XO.

The inductance is lowish but so is the throw...a large VS with a short winding, very pro audio style.

Some people believe that low inductance makes for easier blending. Whereas others just see it as a built in passive filter.
Thank you for the education!

Old 09-15-2011   #74
DAT

Banned

Rep Power: 0 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the Morel SC subs are excellent you don't need a regular series Morel.

I only do Local sales for Morel, now if you have someone visiting KY let me know I can take care of you.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

UPDATE!

On a whim I put the SC in a 1.21 enclosure. The result is a much more controlled subwoofer that can now suck up waaaaaay more power than when it was in the 1.44. Output is down, however the overall experience with the smaller box was much better. The smaller enclosure gets rid of the last little bit of "basketball" sound from the sub, it is now truly amazing. My long term plans include a second SC, I think two SC's in a 1.1 or so each enclosure would sound phenom!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement