DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 25 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014   #601
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 329 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

What's HD Audio? 24/96? I'm pretty much happy with mp3s unless I'm demoing or something xD

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014   #602

Rep Power: 0 NetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
What's HD Audio? 24/96? I'm pretty much happy with mp3s unless I'm demoing or something xD

High-resolution audio guide

and info on high rez audio for iPhone 6:
Audio Testing Confirms iPhone 6 Not Yet Capable of Direct HD Audio Playback - Mac Rumors
NetkoGTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014   #603
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 267 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetkoGTS View Post
Is that the article that says you can use the Onkyo HD Player app? I'm going to try it with my 6 Plus and iPad. Mine are higher resolution than that, but I'll downsample some tracks to try.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014   #604
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 329 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Sceptical that the P99 will accept a 24/96 audio stream. Furthermore, the benefits might not be that great using 2ch 24/96. With some content it may actually be theoretically worse than 16/44,1 due to IMD induced out of the audible passband. With thst said, some "HD" recordings are differently mastered and sound better than the CD counterpart. I'd just compress those recordings to mp3 using v1 VBR lame. Can't hear any difference anyway, the mastering is far more important than the digital compression (at least with bitrates above ~250kBit/s, using lossy codecs)

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 09-30-2014   #605
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 mrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enoughmrpeabody will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sceptical that the P99 will accept a 24/96 audio stream.
Yup, it won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu
With thst said, some "HD" recordings are differently mastered and sound better than the CD counterpart. I'd just compress those recordings to mp3 using v1 VBR lame. Can't hear any difference anyway, the mastering is far more important than the digital compression (at least with bitrates above ~250kBit/s, using lossy codecs)
This has been my experience as well.

DEX-P99RS / ScanSpeak D3004/6020-00 / ScanSpeak 10F/8414G-10 / Hertz ML165 / Hertz HX250 / Hertz HCP4D x2
mrpeabody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014   #606
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 267 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Sceptical that the P99 will accept a 24/96 audio stream. Furthermore, the benefits might not be that great using 2ch 24/96. With some content it may actually be theoretically worse than 16/44,1 due to IMD induced out of the audible passband. With thst said, some "HD" recordings are differently mastered and sound better than the CD counterpart. I'd just compress those recordings to mp3 using v1 VBR lame. Can't hear any difference anyway, the mastering is far more important than the digital compression (at least with bitrates above ~250kBit/s, using lossy codecs)
All of my high definition tracks sound noticeably better than their CD counterparts. Granted, I don't have a ton of the same tracks in both formats to compare but those that I do I can hear a pretty drastic difference.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014   #607
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 132 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Tried with multiple combination. Max is 16 bit 48kHz. That's it. Nothing more

Sent from Oppo Find 7
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #608

Rep Power: 68 Luke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enoughLuke/Peaandham will become famous soon enough

Is there a way with the P99 that I can set my crossover points, t/a and then just use the mic to do the auto eq without changing my crossover points or t/a?

If so how?
Luke/Peaandham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #609
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Can't hear any difference anyway, the mastering is far more important than the digital compression (at least with bitrates above ~250kBit/s, using lossy codecs)
I've tried burning @ 320 and then comparing against the original CD. The difference is evident 9/10 times. With some material eg U2 or Coldplay (music not known for recording quality) the difference is less but still evident. With other material like Cassandra Wilson, Diana Krall, Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Donald Fagen etc (music that is well recorded), the difference is night and day. Both in the car and on the 2ch at home.

The top end harmonics that get filtered in the compression, changes the timbre of instruments and vocals. The compressed material sounds tinny and thin. It's not full bodied like the original. YMMV

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
sqnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #610
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Then you have better hearing than me. I can't hear anything beyond 16k.

Old 10-03-2014   #611
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

And I don't listen to such material either. Mostly metal and subgenres of electronic music^^

Old 10-03-2014   #612
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 sqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to beholdsqnut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Then you have better hearing than me. I can't hear anything beyond 16k.
It's definitely not that. Do you hear the difference on a 2ch at home? I''m sure even metal and electronic will have well recorded material

HU : Pioneer p-80rsII DSP Bit Ten Mid Bass : Polk SR 6500 Tweets : Scan-Speak 3004 Sub : MM 2124 4 Ch Genesis Profile Four Ultra Mono : Genesis DM
Old 10-03-2014   #613
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No. But I can hear very small amounts og non-linear distortion in subs so I guess I'm weird then :P

Old 10-03-2014   #614

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,297 Posts
Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqnut View Post
It's definitely not that. Do you hear the difference on a 2ch at home? I''m sure even metal and electronic will have well recorded material
There's some well recorded metal out there, but it is rare

Apicella Auto Sound | ResoNix Sound Solutions
New York Metro Area
Everyone moved over to Car Audio Junkies. See you there
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #615
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I can't hear anything beyond 16k.
Stop listening to metal and electronic at un-Godly volumes. Change the pattern and the 16K+ will come back after a while......I'm not kidding. The body heals itself much faster at your age than mine.

It's not about the harmonics in the 10+ range but the effect of those harmonics on the fundamentals in the mid range. It's as if the sound is hollow.

Old 10-03-2014   #616

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,297 Posts
Rep Power: 463 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stop listening to metal and electronic at un-Godly volumes. Change the pattern and the 16K+ will come back after a while......I'm not kidding. The body heals itself much faster at your age than mine.

It's not about the harmonics in the 10+ range but the effect of those harmonics on the fundamentals in the mid range. It's as if the sound is hollow.
Actually hearing loss isn't reversible

Apicella Auto Sound | ResoNix Sound Solutions
New York Metro Area
Everyone moved over to Car Audio Junkies. See you there
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #617
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Got three different tinnitus sounds, I hear them when it's quiet. It's from work, not from concerts or from listening to too high volume. Nowadays I'm careful about listening at too high SPL. Having said that, I have much experience with critical listening. I can hear very subtle deviations in other areas but I can't simply hear any difference between mp3 320k/lossless in headphones, my home audio system or in the car. I know Andy Wehmeyer agree with me xD

Old 10-03-2014   #618
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Actually hearing loss isn't reversible
Temp impairment is, but yeah hearing loss isn't.

Old 10-03-2014   #619
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
I can hear very subtle deviations in other areas but I can't simply hear any difference between mp3 320k/lossless in headphones, my home audio system or in the car. I know Andy Wehmeyer agree with me xD
.......agree to disagree

Old 10-03-2014   #620
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
.......agree to disagree
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1800329-post9.html

It's strange cause it's usually the HF material that gets distorted in lower bitrates.

Do a A/B/X digital test using the plugin in foobar2000. I can send you a few samples of music I listen to. I use dBpoweramp v15 with the newest lame version to encode with.

Old 10-03-2014   #621
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke/Peaandham View Post
Is there a way with the P99 that I can set my crossover points, t/a and then just use the mic to do the auto eq without changing my crossover points or t/a?

If so how?
Yes regarding crossover, set it to "manual" in the auto calibration process.

You can modify TA after but not before auto calibration.
2010hummerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #622

Rep Power: 0 NetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enoughNetkoGTS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
Tried with multiple combination. Max is 16 bit 48kHz. That's it. Nothing more

Sent from Oppo Find 7
Correct... Wouldn't the iPhone do all the processing and transport it via USB just like if you were playing back regular iTunes?

I think the processing only applies to file formats that are direct fed.
NetkoGTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014   #623
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough

It is very well documented that the P99RS acts as DAC for iOS devices, same as for USB storage devices. What "processing" are you guys referring to?
2010hummerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014   #624
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 132 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

IPod dac is bypassed,when connected to p99.

Sent from Oppo Find 7
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014   #625
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

USB is digital... the iPod's DAC is always bypassed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement