DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries - Page 45 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018   #1101

Rep Power: 19 EFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Auto EQ without Auto TA question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Headphone performance is only possible with headphones. Although, you can get killer staging and imagining with the tuning features of this head unit. The DSP in the P99RS is "limited" compared to standalone DSP's, but it has more than enough power to make a pretty amazing system. If you know how to use it, you can make it sound pretty awesome. Most people never fully learn to optimize it before going to a standalone DSP because they "need more processing."

Of course, you are correct - Having moved away from a bootful of Audio Control Gadgets it would be interesting to imagine and see just what a full blown DSP could do over and beyond where the P99RS is at - and I agree, when max'ed out, this headunit can do some quite amazing things.. for me, it has given me a way better system than my previous EMMA competing system and done so with a lot less equipment..

Pioneer DEX P99RS Headunit - CD Multi-Player XDV P9 - Hybrid Audio U1A & U5A Amps - Audison Prima APX4 & Prima APS 8R 8" Front Door Speakers - 2x MTX T6/15" in my own specially designed 7CuFt (200L) AMG 3 Chamber Dual Reflex Bass Box.
EFMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2018   #1102

Rep Power: 19 EFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enoughEFMax will become famous soon enough

Default Re: DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Have to say, with the help of other members in this page, that I have finally stopped tweaking and now just listen to my music. It has taken like forever to get to this point and I am very happy with the final setup - but out of curiosity, has anyone added any additional DSP or other electronics into the chain to try and further tweak their system or do we all just get to a point where the DEX P99RS is just left alone cos you are all happy..?

Pioneer DEX P99RS Headunit - CD Multi-Player XDV P9 - Hybrid Audio U1A & U5A Amps - Audison Prima APX4 & Prima APS 8R 8" Front Door Speakers - 2x MTX T6/15" in my own specially designed 7CuFt (200L) AMG 3 Chamber Dual Reflex Bass Box.
Old 09-05-2018   #1103

Rep Power: 28 mark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enoughmark3004 will become famous soon enough

I had P99 for few months, but I can say it is one of the best single din HU on earth.
The only lack of this unit is the usb music management. No Flac, and above all only 500 of total folders/subfolder limit, even your HDD or pen drive is within maximum allowed size (250GB).
mark3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018   #1104
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 375 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFMax View Post
Have to say, with the help of other members in this page, that I have finally stopped tweaking and now just listen to my music. It has taken like forever to get to this point and I am very happy with the final setup - but out of curiosity, has anyone added any additional DSP or other electronics into the chain to try and further tweak their system or do we all just get to a point where the DEX P99RS is just left alone cos you are all happy..?
Adding an additional DSP will do very little, especially for most people. The P99 has just about everything you could possibly need to win contests (if that was the goal). It does lack a couple of things like parametric EQ and EQ per channel, instead of per side. Parametric could potentially be helpful, but the graphic EQ is powerful enough that you certainly don't need it. Having independent EQ per channel instead of per side would be slightly better, but not significant. It would really only be an advantage around the crossover points, but the combination of crossover points, slopes, and the EQ you do have is plenty.

I think the only time extra processing would be advantageous is for highly skilled expert tuners who can very comfortably take full advantage of the P99's processing and need a couple more tools, for the vast majority of people, adding a processor will complicate things and would almost certainly cause more trouble than it would fix.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018   #1105
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 diebenkorn will become famous soon enoughdiebenkorn will become famous soon enoughdiebenkorn will become famous soon enoughdiebenkorn will become famous soon enoughdiebenkorn will become famous soon enoughdiebenkorn will become famous soon enough

So my five year old P99 taunts me with a blinking red light and no desire to power up, tried changing fuse in fuse box, tried reset and finally took it to a shop where they declared it dead. Contacted Pioneer said I could send to a shop in syracuse but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations or thoughts about the best thing to do with the ol P99?
diebenkorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018   #1106
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 97 RRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished road

get an estimate... whats the worst that could happen?

DEX P99rs / Zapco / Stereo Integrity / MECA Street 3rd place 2016 World Finals
RRizz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018   #1107
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

The shop in syracuse is good. Theyre authorized and have a great track record.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018   #1108
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 68 bnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enoughbnae38 will become famous soon enough

schematics are floating around out there if you want to dig into it

2012 Subaru Impreza Sedan. Pioneer P880prs, Helix Dsp.2, JL 12w6v2 sealed, Arc KS1000.1, Modified Arc KS900.6, FI N.7 midbass, Illusion Audio C3cx. Ipod Classic - apple lossless. Just keep tryin' to get a little better.
bnae38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018   #1109

Rep Power: 0 Foghorn will become famous soon enoughFoghorn will become famous soon enoughFoghorn will become famous soon enoughFoghorn will become famous soon enoughFoghorn will become famous soon enoughFoghorn will become famous soon enough

Pioneer service manual
pioneer_dex-p99rs.pdf

Hope the pdf attachment appears
Foghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018   #1110
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 173 benny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nicebenny z is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
The shop in syracuse is good. Theyre authorized and have a great track record.
+1

My local shop installed a customer-provided P99 earlier this summer which had noise issues. They sent it to the Syracuse shop and it came back perfect.

ben zimmerman
co-founder : SQOLOGY
SQOLOGY Podcast

team hybrids
benny z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018   #1111
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 preston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enoughpreston will become famous soon enough

Was just dropping in on this thread and wanted to add my praise for the P99.
Its basically a full DSP inside a high quality single DIN deck. In this day and age of screens I still like the understated, traditional look in the right vehicle.

I'm building a truck right now that will use an external DSP and I'm really going to miss having full control at any time with a wireless remote no less. (AFAIK the only DSP's that have a full remote potential are the Alpine and ARC PS-8, and even in that case it is a larger wired unit).

However, the action of the deck is also "traditional". You need bulky wired outboard modules to add USB or satellite or bluetooth. (and I'm not sure how easy these are to find anymore). Note you need a box for each one of those functions !

Also, trying to browse files especially on USB is difficult with the small display. In the truck I have an OEM screen and it is pretty nice to browse and have favorites and stuff.

But that's all convenience - the deck always sounds and performs amazing and once you get the hang of the "gestures", quite quick and easy to tune, and its especially great to just lay back and audition music while watching the deck and tuning with the little wireless remote in your hand hanging down naturally (as opposed to having to reach and stretch over to the deck to change settings or having a big hot and bright laptop sitting on top of you.
preston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018   #1112

Rep Power: 0 Montague will become famous soon enoughMontague will become famous soon enoughMontague will become famous soon enoughMontague will become famous soon enoughMontague will become famous soon enoughMontague will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to Montague

i see a lot of people doing this and not maximizing their noise floor.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018   #1113

Default New Question - Re: DEX-P99RS

Is it possible to take the Digital output from a Fiio X7 and plug it directly into the back of my Pioneer CD Multi-Player XDV P9 which is then plugged into the back of my P99 ?

Cheers..

UPDATE:
please ignore my question - just pull things apart and to one side for a closer inspection - the XDV P9 does not have Optical input it is Optical output so that dream is gonna stop right there... as least from the point of view of having a digital to digital game plan...

Last edited by EFMax; 10-16-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-18-2018   #1114

Rep Power: 0 Justang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enough

Anyone tried one of these Bluetooth adapters??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...-/112057649175
Justang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018   #1115
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 328 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen the little "car" symbol on the display right above the voltage digits?

Know what it is? Never seen it before, something to do with the FM radio? I reconnected my antenna and it been flashing on and off like crazy ever since. Can't find anything in the manual.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2018   #1116

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 100 Elektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished roadElektra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Adding an additional DSP will do very little, especially for most people. The P99 has just about everything you could possibly need to win contests (if that was the goal). It does lack a couple of things like parametric EQ and EQ per channel, instead of per side. Parametric could potentially be helpful, but the graphic EQ is powerful enough that you certainly don't need it. Having independent EQ per channel instead of per side would be slightly better, but not significant. It would really only be an advantage around the crossover points, but the combination of crossover points, slopes, and the EQ you do have is plenty.

I think the only time extra processing would be advantageous is for highly skilled expert tuners who can very comfortably take full advantage of the P99's processing and need a couple more tools, for the vast majority of people, adding a processor will complicate things and would almost certainly cause more trouble than it would fix.

I inadvertently ended up using the Helix Pro MKii with the P99 because I had the Sony GS9 in the car before - what I do like is using just one RCA cable to the DSP instead of 4 - also I am curious the Helix has 32bit dacs etc and higher bit DSP chips etc...

The sound will be slightly different with the DSP as a posed to without the DSP

Would the Helix/P99 combo sound better than just a stand alone P99?

Also the MKii has a higher voltage (8v) as a posed to the P99 5v

I do however find that system sounds louder than when I had the Sony in it due to the Sony having 4v?

What’s your take...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2018   #1117
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 144 2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough2010hummerguy will become famous soon enough

Has anyone tried using an iPod emulator on Android to integrate with the P99 USB? I'm trying PodEMU without much luck, but it would be cool to get it to work.
2010hummerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2018   #1118
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 bmmer701 will become famous soon enoughbmmer701 will become famous soon enoughbmmer701 will become famous soon enoughbmmer701 will become famous soon enoughbmmer701 will become famous soon enoughbmmer701 will become famous soon enough

Default DEX-P99RS Ongoing Review and Discoveries

Sorry for asking but how do you guys make your iphone 6s , 7 or x work in p99rs using spotify? Is there a setting that needs to be change? I tried mine i can see that the music is playing however i dont hear anything

Do i need to update the software of the p99rs?

Last edited by bmmer701; 11-11-2018 at 04:53 PM..
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018   #1119
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 CoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enoughCoLd_FuSiOn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmer701 View Post
Sorry for asking but how do you guys make your iphone 6s , 7 or x work in p99rs using spotify? Is there a setting that needs to be change? I tried mine i can see that the music is playing however i dont hear anything

Do i need to update the software of the p99rs?

You can't upgrade the software on the p99rs, try and see if your unit plays tracks through the itunes app. If it does then it's an app related issue and you might need to use a bluetooth adapter to make it work.

If it doesn't play through itunes, try connecting the iphone cable directly in the back of the unit's usb port.

CoLd_FuSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2018   #1120

Rep Power: 21 K-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enough

Just got my Deh p01 from Japan. I found out there are aftermarket plug+ RCA's available for these headunits. Lots of diy also available.
Attached Images
File Type: png audiotechnica_hch01(1)_1543646910442.png (685.0 KB, 34 views)
K-pop sucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019   #1121

Rep Power: 0 Nks 79 will become famous soon enoughNks 79 will become famous soon enoughNks 79 will become famous soon enoughNks 79 will become famous soon enoughNks 79 will become famous soon enoughNks 79 will become famous soon enough

Hi all I have been using the p99 for a few years now. However, recently I have faced a major issue and that is that it Is not reading a usb . It keeps lmao giving me error19.

I tried to plug it directly into the deck itself into the p99 but it still would not read it .

I was wondering if someone could help me out here . Should I give it to a repair shop something I really would like to avoid . Or should I reset it .

With resetting though would all my tuning settings be erased ? Equalizer settings?

I would really really appreciate any help here in resolving this error 19 issue .

Thank you
Nks 79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #1122
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 155 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

So I am on my second P99. This one has the Matt R mod. Love the deck still but its been a few years and I dont think the BTB200 likes newer phones. I mean it links and all but I have to pair it via the phone every time I restart the car now. Last one was when the Droid Turbo came out and worked fine. With my S10+, not so much.

Denali:Alpine X009GM, SI TM65MKIII, SI M25, SI BM MKV, Helix G One & G Four amps.
LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement