LCY 108/Seas Lotus Ref 6.5 first day review. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
RAAMaudio Inc
Position:
President "retired" mostly that is:)

Rep Power: 187 raamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura about

Default LCY 108/Seas Lotus Ref 6.5 first day review.

I really wanted the 110's but not available for some time, the 130s are just to big so decided to try the 108's as I could get them right away, thanks to npdangdaman

The car has no interior, no dash, no headliner, carpet, etc, etc, the doors are mostly done now but very reflective, installed the mids last night anyway.

No time to work on the kicks for the 4.5's and the 108's so just hung the 108's on the A pillars and layed some ensolite across the opened up dash area.

No time to hook up an amp so used the deck power, 8443, active 24db, 2.5khz crossover, 63 to the sub at 24hz as well.

Threw some ensolite around the car, floors, etc, to at least smooth things out a bit, this is the worst audition setup I have ever had to use but we had a show to attend today. It was a small event so really not a big deal that we won 4 trophies, lol!

Anyway, these are the finest tweeters I have owned since my Rainbow References and I really wish I could do a proper A/B, been to long to just guess but these things are good enough to go up against them and do a fine job I have no doubt, which is best? No idea, both are incredibly good.

I still have to try out the 110's when I can though

The Seas midbasses really did well, no time to EQ so just dropped 315hz as bit as I would normally end up doing, very dynamic and punchy midbass, again off the HU power!

I was listening to one of the ISACA tracks as had alot of changes to do for the SQ judging and was not quite done when he poped in and after ten seconds or so, said, wow! You win SQ right now, lol! Then I told him I was not even done setting it up and running on HU power and he about crapped himself.

Anyway, this was just a little comp we threw some gear into the car to make it to and had a great time, demoed the system to a few guys that are asking "where can I buy those tweeters?" etc, of course I told them

After owing the Rainbow Refs(properly installed and tuned) and hearing many world class systems, judging ten top cars one day a few years ago, etc, I can honestly say this is the first time I have truely fallen in love with some speakers again.

Rick

2012 Duramax dually, high end audio going in, of course
2012 Voltage 3905 toyhauler, going full time RV soon
2007 4Runner V8 love it but for sale
2002 Z06 Vette/53 Studebaker Pro Tour project For Sale
1997 318ti street/track/RV 1995 M3 race car parting out
raamaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005   #2

Rep Power: 187 cam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enoughcam2Xrunner will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to cam2Xrunner

OK that sealed the deal, I'm getting LCY ribbons in the future.
cam2Xrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2005   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
RAAMaudio Inc
Position:

Rep Power: 187 raamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura aboutraamaudio has a spectacular aura about

Then don't blame me if you do not like them, lol

J.K, I am sure you will love them, I just hope I can make them work in my kicks with the mids, really really want to make them work!!!!!!

If I just cannot get them to where I want them as far as imaging, etc, then I may play with some horny drivers for awhile, been wanting to for years, owned but never installed a couple of sets.

Rick

Old 06-04-2005   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 198 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

man I want a set of those sooo bad

the price is just hurting my pocket though and where to put the darn things since I have no kick space

those 108's are the ones ill buy in the future

thx 4 the review
newtitan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005   #5

Rep Power: 0 10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough

Default Re: LCY 108/Seas Lotus Ref 6.5 first day review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamaudio
I was listening to one of the ISACA tracks as had alot of changes to do for the SQ judging and was not quite done when he poped in and after ten seconds or so, said, wow! You win SQ right now, lol! Then I told him I was not even done setting it up and running on HU power and he about crapped himself.

Rick
LMAO Thats great!!

thats what ive been trying to say....... :wink:

Great read, Rick!
10K2HVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 xDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enoughxDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enoughxDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enoughxDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enoughxDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enoughxDeLiRiOuSx will become famous soon enough

Wow, Could I see a picture of what your setup looked like?

David
xDeLiRiOuSx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
RAAMaudio Inc
Position:

I'm sure a pic would get some great laughs but somebody would post it elswhere and I would like like a fool, lol!

Rick

Old 06-05-2005   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 223 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Awesome review Rick!

Btw, LCY110 soon to be in stock again

They're all the same ribbon, just with different faceplate. You can even order a custom made faceplate directly from www.lcy.com.hk that will bolt down over your 108's.

There's also the Fountek neopro5i ... crossover at 1khz, 102dbwm sensitivity... oooh
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
RAAMaudio Inc
Position:

I just looked at the custom faceplates and it would sure be cool to have a pair made for the ribbons and the mids for my kicks!!!!!

I wonder what it would cost and how long it would take to have made, I am seriously interested.

Rick

Old 06-06-2005   #10

Rep Power: 0 10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough10K2HVN will become famous soon enough

yeah..i was dreaming of making a MTM with Seas Lotus Reference RW165's woofers with this custom faceplate and Transmission Line enclosure..but that wont become reality for a while....
Old 06-06-2005   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 198 newtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enoughnewtitan will become famous soon enough

hey Ramm ---

what seas mids were you using?
Old 06-06-2005   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtitan
hey Ramm ---

what seas mids were you using?
it says right in the title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamaudio
LCY 108/Seas Lotus Ref 6.5 first day review.
gee..i say theyre the best damn sounding tweeters ever and nobody believes me.. then Rick says, theyre almost the best - if not the best damn sounding tweeters hes ever heard (if he could a/b them), and now everybody wants them...

..wonder what kinda credit you guys gave me for my Avalanche/IDMAX review....

:doubleshrug:

:?
Old 06-06-2005   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 vibrator will become famous soon enoughvibrator will become famous soon enoughvibrator will become famous soon enoughvibrator will become famous soon enoughvibrator will become famous soon enoughvibrator will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to vibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K2HVN
..wonder what kinda credit you guys gave me for my Avalanche/IDMAX review....

:doubleshrug:

:?
link to review? I'd love to read it.
vibrator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 189 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dual700

Tight hug for Vinh..
If I need a sub, I'd pick Avalance in a heartbeat...

Props to Rick Raam(bo)mat. Thank you sir..
Keep us updated with your progress.

Npdang is a sexy mofo
dual700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2005   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10K2HVN
it says right in the title...
yeah man I saw that, just didnt know if that was the the lotus driver or some other seas derivative thats all

seas naming structure throws me off sometimes

and all Iknwo is your avalanche review made me want one

just cant fit the darn thin LOL unless I go upfront console install

wish they had a 10" avalanchce
Old 06-06-2005   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual700
Tight hug for Vinh..
If I need a sub, I'd pick Avalance in a heartbeat...
..but you have access to the beautiful Seas Lotus SW300's!!

^but Thanks Eng, i knew you believed in me... ops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrator
link to review? I'd love to read it.
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...hp?p=1082#1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtitan
seas naming structure throws me off sometimes
PT25F = Performance Tweeter, 25mm, Fabric
RT25A = Reference Tweeter, 25mm, Aluminum
RT25F = Reference Tweeter, 25mm, Fabric
RM110 = Reference Mid, 110mm
PW165 = Performance Woofer, 165mm
RW165 = Reference Woofer, 165mm
SW250 = Sub Woofer, 250mm
SW300 = Sub Woofer, 300mm

"W18" = 7" Excel
"L18" = 7" Aluminum
"CA18" = 7" Paper

"RNX" = bigger bumped back-plate motor

Note: all "18's" are newer chasis, "17's" are older lotus-style chasis with closed voicecoil chamber.

sorry to get off topic....
Old 06-06-2005   #17

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Doesn't sound that confusing to me......The way Seas labels there drivers........Now my question is How much different does the price and sound of the Paper, Excel, and Aluminum midbasses??? As well as upper and lower extension into the 3-4k hz range, and midrange detail.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2005   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 223 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon2091tb
Doesn't sound that confusing to me......The way Seas labels there drivers........Now my question is How much different does the price and sound of the Paper, Excel, and Aluminum midbasses??? As well as upper and lower extension into the 3-4k hz range, and midrange detail.
Price:

CA18RNX = $56
L18RNX/P (has a phaseplug) = $67
W18 Excel = $155 (copper phaseplug, dual copper shorting rings, magnesium cone)

They all share the same basket, but the L18/CA18 has a small amount more excursion.

In terms of detail the W18 destroys the L18/CA18. However it does have slightly less bass output, and upper end limit of 1.5khz.

The L18 would be next in detail, but again limited to 1.5khz ideally.

The CA18 is the warmest sounding, but not by much and not at all muddy. It just tends to sound more full bodied and relaxed... not so precise and clinical. Top end is usable to 3khz.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 276 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

The goods on those LCY ribbons ^^^^

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$$hole View Post
The goods on those LCY ribbons ^^^^
holy old thread!!!!
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 276 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: LCY 108/Seas Lotus Ref 6.5 first day review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas569 View Post
holy old thread!!!!
Most people have never heard of these

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement