jbl p660c 6.5 comp set - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Default jbl p660c 6.5 comp set

This will be a purely subjective review. I have no rta or any other way of measuring anything right now.
So the only reason i went with these over the ms set was for the price. These are only 150 on sonic using the "make an offer" option and they have been like that for awhile.
So my first impressions of these was DAMN! These things sound great. In the past to weeks i've went from ID CXS mids and vife tweets to peerless hds poly cone then a freind of mine bought a set boston sr 6.5 just for the tweeters and xover and offered the mids to me for an ok price so i paired them up with vifa's as well.
The boston/vifa set up was by far my fav untill these cam in on friday. I started to write this friday night but i felt that i needed to get over the initial shock of just how good this set is.
So since then i have been listening to a wide variety of music and they sound great with anything. From rebecca pidgeon to some old school warren g.
I'm running these active with a p80 with the mid crossed from 80 to 3000 or whatever it is. I think the p80 has like 3.15 on it. The tweet is from 3000 up of course and they freakin rock. When i first went to set them up i had them crossed at 5khz then 4 and finally settled at 3. It was like everything opened up the stage got really high, like behind the review high and everything jumped foward a little. This all with the auto eq/ta. since then i have been able to achieve a level of staging that i thought was impossible in my car because of the narrow dash and steeply slopped windshield.
Another comparison i can make is the Rockford T3 set which is 400 dollars on sonic. To me the jbl's sound right up there with them. where easier to set up and sound just as good if not better in some ways.
But it has been about three months since i've heard them.
I remember the T3's had better midbass but the jbl's only have about 3 hours of play time also so that may change as well.
I really surprised that there is not more of a following with these. i like this set so much that another pair should be friday.
So all in all I can't imagine a better set for 150 bucks. So to sum up this somewhat useless review is some pics. Well it's raining like hell right now and didnt take any when i pulled them out of the box so they'll be up sometime tomorrow.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."

Last edited by thomasluke; 08-28-2012 at 07:36 PM..
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Where/how do you have the speakers mounted?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 119 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Default Re: jbl p660c 6.5 comp set

Tweeters in the apillar and mids in the lower doors.

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."

Old 08-28-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for taking the time with this! I (anyone that knows me on here) am a hardcore JBL guy.....They simply do not let down....There are few if any items you will not get way more then your $s worth from them Car, home, personal, etc........They have been that way since day one! The new MS set is nothing short of phenomenal for the relatively the same price! Do it right.....they will blow your socks off (ms or power). Glad you took the plunge and got to experience a great product. They just do it right! (if you do it right)
The other great thing is they are SUPER install friendly....you can F' up as the day is long and still get pretty great results.........Want some fun? Add some serious power, hold on,
grab some kleenex for the nose, sweater for the goose bumps, and some TP for the shit eating grin Find some GTI 660s or 608s and do the same.........Except more

Good for you, again, thanks for sharing! People on a budget?.......get your paypal, cash , or CC ready! Go buy!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

AWESOME! I'm glad another person had great results with JBL! yeeeeeeaah buuuuuuuddy!
how much power are you running?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Eklips Kustoms
Position:
Owner,Salesman and installer

Rep Power: 143 MajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enoughMajorChipHazard will become famous soon enough

The midbass will definitely improve as they play in.I fitted a pair to a Mitsubishi GTO.Loads of Dyanmat on the doors,and powered them from a JBL GTO75.4.They sounded awesome after like a month.Tweeters are much better than the previous power series

MajorChipHazard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 niceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enough

You guys have me curious as I just saw these on ebay....I'm running Massive Audio slim 6.5 coaxes right now off my Pioneer 860mp HU (adding amp soon) and with the doors deadened pretty well (mlv/ccf/cld) they aren't bad for what they are.

However, I've been considering the inverted motor Zapco 6.5 comps since they're very shallow but not sure about the midbass output and how low they go. They're about the same price as the JBLs so I'm torn right now lol...
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
AWESOME! I'm glad another person had great results with JBL! yeeeeeeaah buuuuuuuddy!
how much power are you running?
125 to the mids and with the tweets being 6ohm they might have 50 on tap. Maybe.

Old 08-29-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
You guys have me curious as I just saw these on ebay....I'm running Massive Audio slim 6.5 coaxes right now off my Pioneer 860mp HU (adding amp soon) and with the doors deadened pretty well (mlv/ccf/cld) they aren't bad for what they are.

However, I've been considering the inverted motor Zapco 6.5 comps since they're very shallow but not sure about the midbass output and how low they go. They're about the same price as the JBLs so I'm torn right now lol...
Get the JBL's man. Sonic has them for 150 plus free shipping.

Old 08-29-2012   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Pics on the way.

Old 08-29-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

As promised........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 013.jpg (137.1 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 008.jpg (68.4 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 020.jpg (97.8 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 011.jpg (30.1 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 024.jpg (48.0 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 048.jpg (55.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 004.jpg (39.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 016.jpg (54.2 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 007.jpg (49.3 KB, 280 views)

Old 08-29-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

and more......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 031.jpg (62.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 025.jpg (64.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg jbl p660c 053.jpg (60.3 KB, 259 views)

Old 08-29-2012   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 niceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enoughniceguy will become famous soon enough

I just checked the depth at SE, 2.25" isn't bad. The GTO set is only 2" deep but nearly $50 more...have to remeasure my panel clearance...
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The gto's are also lower in the line up. The p660's were 250 at one point in time. Not that the cost makes them better or worse.

Old 08-30-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 carter1010 will become famous soon enoughcarter1010 will become famous soon enoughcarter1010 will become famous soon enoughcarter1010 will become famous soon enoughcarter1010 will become famous soon enoughcarter1010 will become famous soon enough

At 225 watts per channel, I found the midbass to be pretty outstanding. Great set of comps! They take a lot of power, image well and like all the JBL stuff I have heard, resolution is amazing.

"They speak English in What?"
carter1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012   #16

Rep Power: 0 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

For those that have heard both do you prefer these or the MS? A couple things I like about these are the soft dome tweeter and that they are 2ohm since my amp only makes 50x2 @4ohm.
JoeHemi57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHemi57 View Post
For those that have heard both do you prefer these or the MS? A couple things I like about these are the soft dome tweeter and that they are 2ohm since my amp only makes 50x2 @4ohm.
MS= greater resolution/detail (metal dome......done right the soft from the P (as great as it is) is not even in the same zip code.....Have no fear on metal.....Cant tell you how many people complained about the GTI608/508 tweets (willing to bet 90% of them never actually heard them....just went on looks) but would sit in my truck and marvel at the detail, clarity, and gentleness of the top end. It was just as delicate as it was precise! Its all about location and tuning.......nothing more. Honestly? Not sure how I feel about going back to a soft dome unless I can go super on axis! which in most cases is.........Just not likely!

Power may win in raw output/midbass (although that may be a tough call?) but overall detail and controlled sound? MS in my book!
Shit, for the $ you could buy both, get rid of the "looser" and still make out great for your $ spent!!!!
Old 08-31-2012   #18

Rep Power: 0 JoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished roadJoeHemi57 is on a distinguished road

Well location is in the dash but not firing directly at the windshield or anything I may be able to angle them from each side at the opposite passenger. Hmm I will ask my installer since he is a JBL dealer which he would recommend for my application.
Old 09-03-2012   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 geeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enough

I was looking at these for my civic, kinda new to this forum but i am liking alot of what i am reading on these jbl for the front, to go with the jbl gto i have in the rear, gotta start looking for a good amp, was also considering the gto ez amps.
geeio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 geeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enoughgeeio will become famous soon enough

i bought these just because i wanted jbl speakers always been a fan of the brand, going to be powering these with a jl xd200/2 and now im trying to read as much as i can, possibly might try to go active with the front if i come a cross a nice 4 chan amp, and reading up on prepping the doors,
Old 09-27-2012   #21

Try them with the passives first if you are happy with them no need to change.
Old 10-02-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 nightowl will become famous soon enoughnightowl will become famous soon enoughnightowl will become famous soon enoughnightowl will become famous soon enoughnightowl will become famous soon enoughnightowl will become famous soon enough

I recently sold my set of Rainbow SLC comps for $200 to a friend because my gf and I just moved to NY, just recently started looking for a comp set under $200 and was almost gonna grab a set of image dynamic ctx for $100 but after seeing this thread i went on a search and found a set of these jbl comps for the same price! I think im gonna go ahead with the purchase, i hope im as happy with these speakers as you all are
nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Finally got around to installing these in my civic si. I did some alpha damp on the outer doorskins, one solid sheet on right around where the hole is for the door on a set of half inch spacers and duct seal around the rings. The speakers are powered by a jl xd 200/2. I would say they are leaps and bounds better than the stock speakers that would crackle and pop at any volume loud enough to hear on the highway with the windows open. This is the 3rd car i've had that i upgraded the stereo and this one sounds the best of all of them, my last component set up a kenwood set sounded nothing like these, i have real bass in the front doors, i have really clear highs with the tweeters in the stock a pillar location i have the eq set flat on the hu and the high pass at 80hz these dont break up and are completely smooth. that is with all kinds of music from miles davis(jazz) to ghost face killa(rap), and back around to acacia strain(fast heavy deep metal) they sound good with just about anything that comes up on random on my ipod, i would not hesitate to recommend to any one and would buy an other pair in a heart beat if i bought an other car. and i play them now with a alpine type s 12 in a sealed box seeing about 600 watts to pick up the lows and i get compliments from any one that is in the car when i happen to turn up a track.
Old 12-19-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 negativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enoughnegativegain will become famous soon enough

these were midbass monsters while they lasted.
the surrounds separated from the cone on both of my mids and one of my roommates set. i was sending mine signal from two channels of my memphis belle(115watts @ 2ohms) and they only lasted approx. 7 months. the tweet from this set is very laid back and pleasant during long listening sessions. not as detailed as some of the other tweets i have had, but i liked them very much.
it's a real shame that the mids destroyed themselves as i liked the midbass they delivered.
any ideas on how i might go about repairing the mids' surround, or are they doorstops now?
negativegain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

??????????? what was your xover point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement