Review, ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/4558T 12" Subwoofer - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 150 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Suggestions View Post
I've most recently went from a JL 10W6v2 to a 10w7 to 12w7 and now the ID Max 12" (all sealed enclosures) a step pretty much in the right direction every time...since the ID Max I've been stung again to try something maybe even better "the" Morel Ultimo 12" From what I've read that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for; I'm growing tired of aggressive subwoofer that play loud but have no finesse in doing so, I'm not saying the above don't have finesse, they just seem to add something to the music that doesn't belong, they either play too loud or not loud enough, some music sounds good other doesn't!? The ID Max is the best subwoofer that I have owned, but after reading reviews here and there the morel seem to be where it's at!

I've spent ssssoooo much money on car audio that if it only takes $700 to finally find true sub happiness (hopefully) I'd be willing to spend it.

Sent from my iPhone using DIYMA
Im going to get my car tuned by one of diy members and I have Morel Ultime playing on Mosconi 300.2 amp @4 ohm and I truly love it. I had jl 10w7. IDMAX 12" and you just cant go wrong with Morel.

It really blends with my front stage Morel mids and vifa tweets.
I spend well over 5k on my car audio. Just experience and this being as a hobby of mine drove me nuts when I sat down and added everything not includeing the labor that I did.

Get your last peace of puzzle and u be very happy.... im sure not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a sub. But u really pay for what you get.
My sub gets maybe 500-800 w rms on good days and its amezing!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

2013 VW CC and as I said down low!

When You Think Your Done! Reality is..... is just the beginning
quickaudi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 136 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Review, ScanSpeak Discovery 30W/4558T 12" Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickaudi07 View Post
Im going to get my car tuned by one of diy members and I have Morel Ultime playing on Mosconi 300.2 amp @4 ohm and I truly love it. I had jl 10w7. IDMAX 12" and you just cant go wrong with Morel.

I spend well over 5k on my car audio. Just experience and this being as a hobby of mine drove me nuts when I sat down and added everything not includeing the labor that I did.

Get your last peace of puzzle and u be very happy.... im sure not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a sub. But u really pay for what you get.

I have my Morel 12 2 ohm powered by my Audison LRx5.1k which can provide 1150 watts rms. I really would love to hear your setup. Moving completely to Mosconi power is something I really would love to do but too bad they are so damned expensive and I already have so much invested. I am told there would be a big difference but it is alot of money to spend on something that I might not notice a difference in sound. The Ultimo is the best sub I have owned but then again I have only owned a Boston G210 and a Hertz ML2500 before in my setup. I do think I could use a larger box for it. I want it to still be stealth however and the only way I can think of to make it larger would require fiberglass and a false floor. Maybe next year. I think my 8-10 inch midbass project will happen before that however
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 150 quickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the roughquickaudi07 is a jewel in the rough

I went to meet up a friend from DIY today, and he was very impressed with my system, and how Mosconi amps and Morel Sub preformed. He loved it... also he loved the way H800 works in my car, and overall how it sounds... After tuning my system, new image has hit my ears and i was in love....

I don’t think I could go back to normal car listening, what an experience....
And yes, Mosconi amps are expensive, and I went from JL, to Zuki, to Mosconi… and WoW…
These amps really made my ears shine, you will notice big difference, I’m not saying all the brands that I had are bad in anyway. I just think it’s a big step up from Zuki to Mosconi… I have noticed so much more detail; speakers are so much faster, crisp and clean. Does it get loud??? Yes it does and its nice and clean! Car audio hobby isn’t cheep at all, I have save dup for my setup for very long time until I was able to purchase it. I’m glad I save dup and bought them. When I got home my good friend has jumped in to a passenger side and he said why does it sound funny like the sound is out of place.. I started laughing, and said have a seat in the driver side. I told him to relax, close his eyes, and just enjoy,
Haha, when the song was over, he didn’t know what to say!... he was shocked!
quickaudi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 86 SoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti1960 View Post
After testing about 30 or so 12" subs, (not the edible kind) most had an F3 of 45 to 50 Hz or above. To me, if your sub starts rolling off 3 db and 12 db per octave at 45 or 50 Hz, it is not doing its job! Basically you have a speaker that plays from 50 to 80Hz- no wonder it sounds like a one note wonder and is either on or off depending on the music!
I really agree with you here. I only have a 12W0, in a stealthbox, getting 200w from a JL XD amp. And it can hit decently hard on certain things, but I can tell that at certain postions on the bass neck, the difference in how loud the notes are. It almost seems like the sub isn't even on till just the right note gets played, like wheres most of the top e bass string???

I am far from an experience SQ guy nor am I a critical listener, but I am a guitar player, that can tell when something is missing.

Glad your are enjoying your new sub. Thanks for the write up.

SoulMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 captainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2266 View Post
I run the Ultimo and it is definitely an acquired taste. I was told once, when I was looking around, the difference between the Ultimo and the IDMax is the IDMax is more likely to fill your vehicle with powerful bass and be more of an spl sub than the Ultimo ever would be. The Ultimo is pure sq. It does everything it should and nothing more. It digs deep and it blends effortlessly. It will never wake the neighbors however. Oh, and the Ultimo requires a shit tonne of power and that is no joke. If you don't have 1000 watts rms for it, don't even bother. I was told more like 1200 watts rms actually. I am running 1150 rms and I actually think at times it could use more.

I wonder if the lesser (more in my current budget) Primo would be a bit more agreeable?
captainscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

i got myself this scanspeak cause of the review. Its been about a week and a half since installing it. it really blends in well with my front stage.
it doesnt sound like i have a 'sub' in my car. instead it adds a really nice warmth to the music.
i been listening to a lot of pipe organ music and my old sub wasnt cutting it. when the low notes hit, it distorted and wobbled all over. with the scanspeak, it hits and holds the note maintaining that airy deep rumble.
Frijoles24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 tokapaho will become famous soon enoughtokapaho will become famous soon enoughtokapaho will become famous soon enoughtokapaho will become famous soon enoughtokapaho will become famous soon enoughtokapaho will become famous soon enough

Any chance that the 10" would give a similar quality of bass (12" will not fit my truck)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tokapaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 Frijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished roadFrijoles24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokapaho View Post
Any chance that the 10" would give a similar quality of bass (12" will not fit my truck)?
i needed a 10" too, but i really wanted the depth(on paper) of the 12". i put mine into a .83cu^ft with a port tuned at 24hz.
i cant say anything about the 10" discovery, tho.
Old 10-12-2012   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

update 10/12/12

after running this sub for a month the thing is still breaking in. just this past week i noticed it was louder and more apparent than it has been on bass heavy music. i actually had to back off on my deck's subwoofer level control by 3db in order to balance it out.
it continues to be a very smooth musical SQ sub that can really play and sustain the dramatic low notes and frequencies. the sub can still rock though- it can deliver a mean punch when called for and still blend with the rest of the system. in all fairness though the time alignment is probably a big help with this aspect. no regrets and i'd buy it again in an instant.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
avanti1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks for the review and getting me a good budget sub!
Old 10-12-2012   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 Sound Suggestions will become famous soon enoughSound Suggestions will become famous soon enoughSound Suggestions will become famous soon enoughSound Suggestions will become famous soon enoughSound Suggestions will become famous soon enoughSound Suggestions will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickaudi07 View Post

Sorry I missed your reply, thx...I'm pretty much sold on getting 1-12"Morel Ultimo or 2x10" Morel sc (or 2x12")...I'm not giving up on maybe 1x12" Dynaudio if the opportunity presents itself

Yes Card Audio is expensive but for me worth it!
Sound Suggestions is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 86 SoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enoughSoulMan76 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
update 10/12/12

after running this sub for a month the thing is still breaking in. just this past week i noticed it was louder and more apparent than it has been on bass heavy music. i actually had to back off on my deck's subwoofer level control by 3db in order to balance it out.
it continues to be a very smooth musical SQ sub that can really play and sustain the dramatic low notes and frequencies. the sub can still rock though- it can deliver a mean punch when called for and still blend with the rest of the system. in all fairness though the time alignment is probably a big help with this aspect. no regrets and i'd buy it again in an instant.

You definitely have me considering this, and I'm glad it's working out well. From what I can tell it would fit my application pretty good, and is the right depth, just a matter of getting the $$ to get it. Looks like I'll have to sell off some other stuff along with the JL sub in there now.

The really big bonus here, is that my tweeters and sub will both be made by scanspeak, after all that's most important thing to consider in mobile audio right?...j/k LOL

Old 10-18-2012   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

I am having an itch to try this subwoofer out. It seems based on reviews like it's a good high end subwoofer comparable to high end JBL and JL subwoofers. It would be great to have it in my car, but a car audio install will probably wait as I wouldn't want to "waste" this subwoofer in a crappy install I have right now. I am thinking of using it as a home audio subwoofer in a 2cu ft sealed box, coupled with a two way TM or MTM speaker system.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

If you do, let's us know what you think. I just traded for a Vifa sub that should do great in my setup, but may still want to try this at some point down the road.

Old 10-18-2012   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 82 ecobass will become famous soon enoughecobass will become famous soon enoughecobass will become famous soon enoughecobass will become famous soon enoughecobass will become famous soon enoughecobass will become famous soon enough

Congratz on your new ScanSpeak sub, not so good for JL Audio since i heard and had the idea they were the best sq subs out there but after reading all this, you got me thinking twice. lol.....

I do have a few question that i hope you can answer:

1) A good quality subwoofer that only needs 175w Rms feed can play lower notes/more quality bass inside a vehicle than another sub that requires 250w Rms?

2) which of the two would be louder though?

3) How can you take freq. response into account and bring it into the mix with the previous questions to get the best quality bass in a sealed box that does not disturb the neighbors but instead fills your car ?
ecobass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012   #41

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecobass View Post
Congratz on your new ScanSpeak sub, not so good for JL Audio since i heard and had the idea they were the best sq subs out there but after reading all this, you got me thinking twice. lol.....

1) A good quality subwoofer that only needs 175w Rms feed can play lower notes/more quality bass inside a vehicle than another sub that requires 250w Rms?

3) How can you take freq. response into account and bring it into the mix with the previous questions to get the best quality bass in a sealed box that does not disturb the neighbors but instead fills your car ?
JL makes many different subs. From entry level to high end.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 avanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enoughavanti1960 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

just to reiterate, the JL sub that I replaced is a very good sub. it plays loud, clean and with authority. it can play in ported or sealed enclosures. the problem i had with it is that in the recommended box volume the F3 was too high for my tastes, approximately 43 Hz. i did not realize this when i purchased the sub and designed my box.

for your needs you should look at various subs that are efficient / sensitive as well as have the right F3 and Qtc for your enclosure volume. there are online calculators that will help with this.
do you want to play low frequencies or are you happy with a powerful slam box? it's your call.

Pioneer P99 source, JL HD and Slash amplifiers, HAT, Morel, Scan Speak and Focal drivers.
Old 10-20-2012   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 captainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enoughcaptainscarlett will become famous soon enough

Quote:
update 10/12/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijoles24 View Post
it doesnt sound like i have a 'sub' in my car. instead it adds a really nice warmth to the music.
i've heard that comment about a few subs. I'm starting to wonder if its the subs or a matter of having it set up properly?

From a amateur/novice point of view, i was looking at parts-express the other day (from the UK .. drooling over the prices) and i came to the conclusion or the thought; why am i buying car audio brands for my car audio, when other ... brands seem to be a good/better choice on paper? I was looking at this Peerless XLS10 sub, looking at the T/S parameters, nothing else comes close for the price. Am i mad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1209988958...84.m1436.l2649

ScanSpeak, Peerless, Dayton, Vifa even the likes of Tang Band don't seem to be bad choices.

When i took my Hybrid audio I6SW sub out for a test on some unsuspecting people, one question i got was; is it a home audio sub? Although the guy still thought i had a 12" sub in the back!

Last edited by captainscarlett; 10-21-2012 at 12:37 AM..
captainscarlett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 coffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of light

I have the 10" version, has seen just a few hours of play time and so far I'm really impressed. I have it in .68 sealed and stuffed with some loose fiberfill.

It plays the lowest of notes with authority and gets plenty loud off a modest (250w) amount of power. The remainder of my planned upgrades will be in the build log section starting this week, I'll post more feedback there.
coffee_junkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 ZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enoughZAKOH will become famous soon enough

Quote:

It seems like one rule of thumb in subwoofer design is that subwoofers with high sensitivity have low power handling. I have been playing with this subwoofer in WinISD, and I would say, a good amount of power to run to it is 250-300watts. The reason is because in a 1.5 cu ft sealed box, the 12mm xmax excursion is exceeded with about 250watts. The predicted sensitivity is actually very good (e.g. with 250watts of power it could be about as loud as another sub I was modeling with 400watts of power). The downside is that it won't handle much power past that. xmax is exceeded past 250watts, and will probably bottom out on the right low end content at 400-600watts of power.

Now other subwoofers with lower sensitivity _could_ actually get louder if sufficient power is provided. After all, this subwoofer has 12mm xmax. A lot of 12 inch subwoofers have 17-20mm. I think in real life it won't matter a lot IMO.
ZAKOH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

update 10/22/2012.

today i was noticing the sub went up another notch in SQ, the "hits" are becoming noticeably cleaner and firmer- the thing is still breaking in after almost 6 weeks. totally impressed.

Old 11-06-2012   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 MJacobs112 will become famous soon enoughMJacobs112 will become famous soon enoughMJacobs112 will become famous soon enoughMJacobs112 will become famous soon enoughMJacobs112 will become famous soon enoughMJacobs112 will become famous soon enough

How long would you say you've had it playing total? (Measured in hours)
MJacobs112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

at the time of the review ~ 90 hours. i listen at least 13 to 16 hours a week.

Old 11-12-2012   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 322 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Bought one of these a few weeks ago. Tried it in a 1,5ft│ sealed enclosure first, but I decided on a vented enclosure instead. 1,8ft│ tuned at 32Hz, enormous low end, had to pull down 25-35Hz roughly 12dB with EQ. No "subsonic" highpass filter applied. I have nothing to complain about, it's pretty similar to my old Peerless XXLS. Great build quality as well. I recommend this driver in any SQ build. I can post measured T/S parameters and a FR sweep/HD graph later this week if someone's interested.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012   #50
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 304 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
I can post measured T/S parameters and a FR sweep/HD graph later this week if someone's interested.
Off course we are

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement