Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 trevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enoughtrevordj will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I haven't been able to get a hold of Don for a while so I went with STP.
Ya, it took him a bit to get back to me. I emailed him on a Thursday, hadn't heard back by Monday, re-emailed him and he got back to me the same day. He said he is super busy.

All things considered it took about a week and a half between my initial email and him sending me my order. I did place a large order and had a ton of questions though.

-Trevor
trevordj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I can't believe NO ONE picked up on this...
I lol'd, just didn't post it lol.

GLN305, I got the Roadkill in today, looks good, thanks for helping out.

So far, I have a sheet each of Alphadamp, SDS, Lightning Audio, and two 6x6" sheets of Roadkill Pro. I'll go by the local audio shop that swears by dynamat tomorrow, and see if they can hook me up, if not i'll just pick up the smallest amount they'll sell me. Need to get some peel n seal too.

With my motocross bike going up for sell today, I'm going to try to pick up an omnimic setup before I start testing, so I can make sure that each test is even more consistent.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 835 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it got there, I'll see what else I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
I lol'd, just didn't post it lol.

GLN305, I got the Roadkill in today, looks good, thanks for helping out.

So far, I have a sheet each of Alphadamp, SDS, Lightning Audio, and two 6x6" sheets of Roadkill Pro. I'll go by the local audio shop that swears by dynamat tomorrow, and see if they can hook me up, if not i'll just pick up the smallest amount they'll sell me. Need to get some peel n seal too.

With my motocross bike going up for sell today, I'm going to try to pick up an omnimic setup before I start testing, so I can make sure that each test is even more consistent.
GLN305 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013   #29

Banned

Rep Power: 0 MinnesotaStateUniversity is on a distinguished roadMinnesotaStateUniversity is on a distinguished roadMinnesotaStateUniversity is on a distinguished roadMinnesotaStateUniversity is on a distinguished roadMinnesotaStateUniversity is on a distinguished road

lol, I have not been able to get a hold of Don for months
MinnesotaStateUniversity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Wave Shepherd

Rep Power: 278 Justin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Zazzi has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting experiment and I put some effort into one very similar, though smaller scale. I've always wanted to do something more inclusive and a little more serious though. I would really enjoy collaborating on this experiment.

This report from E-A-R Specialty Composites is one of the most accessible resources I found on the subject. It is written in very simple terms and is easy to read, but has some great details about how CLD works and what is important when considering them.

This report from Roush Industries is more technical but illustrates a simple method for determining the damping factor of a system graphically without using expensive software or hardware (you already have an accelerometer, just plug it into a spectrum analyzer like TrueRTA or REW).

You mention using a 'scope for measurements, but I believe the best method is a spectrum analyzer and calculating the damping factor as discussed in the article above. I have cleaned it up a bit and summarized the method in my experiment and it can be found here in the beginning of my build thread.

You mention using 22ga sheet metal. I'm not sure it would be the best test substrate. Most sheet metal in a car is much thicker, no? I realize that thicker material is substantially more expensive, but it is a very important factor. The effectiveness of a CLD is significantly related to the thickness of the substrate vs the thickness of the stiff backing (aluminum in most cases).

-J

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
-My 2002 VW Golf stealth SQ build (an engineering student's perspective)
-Jazzi's tuning companion for Room EQ Wizard (help you tune a dsp)
Master's Degree in Acoustics at Penn State (20% complete)
Justin Zazzi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
You mention using 22ga sheet metal. I'm not sure it would be the best test substrate. Most sheet metal in a car is much thicker, no? I realize that thicker material is substantially more expensive, but it is a very important factor. The effectiveness of a CLD is significantly related to the thickness of the substrate vs the thickness of the stiff backing (aluminum in most cases).

-J
Most floors and rockers average between 16ga and 18ga but I think 20ga - 22ga is about average for door thickness. I know 22ga is what most body shops use for welding panel repairs on the newer cars. It will differ from car to car or truck but I would think it should be fine for this test.

- 2013 MECA Street Texas State Champion -
- 2012 MECA SQ2 Texas State Champion -
2002 Dodge Quad Cab - 1st Build Log - 2nd Build Log
2008 BMW 328i (E90) - 1st Build Log: 60%
DeanE10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
Ya, it took him a bit to get back to me. I emailed him on a Thursday, hadn't heard back by Monday, re-emailed him and he got back to me the same day. He said he is super busy.

All things considered it took about a week and a half between my initial email and him sending me my order. I did place a large order and had a ton of questions though.
It's been a couple of months and multiple emails and nothing. I even tried PMing him here and nada.

quality_sound is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Tracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I can send you a 12x12 tile of Dynamat Xtreme with the GT stuff if that helps?
Tracie@GTMat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
south east customz
Position:
owner/custom fabricator

Rep Power: 116 south east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enoughsouth east customz will become famous soon enough

I'm sending the sample box of STP today.
south east customz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
This is an interesting experiment and I put some effort into one very similar, though smaller scale. I've always wanted to do something more inclusive and a little more serious though. I would really enjoy collaborating on this experiment.

This report from E-A-R Specialty Composites is one of the most accessible resources I found on the subject. It is written in very simple terms and is easy to read, but has some great details about how CLD works and what is important when considering them.

This report from Roush Industries is more technical but illustrates a simple method for determining the damping factor of a system graphically without using expensive software or hardware (you already have an accelerometer, just plug it into a spectrum analyzer like TrueRTA or REW).

You mention using a 'scope for measurements, but I believe the best method is a spectrum analyzer and calculating the damping factor as discussed in the article above. I have cleaned it up a bit and summarized the method in my experiment and it can be found here in the beginning of my build thread.

-J
Jazzi, I'll check those links when I get home from work. I definitely don't plan to use a scope for the actual measurements, just to verify functioning of the accelerometer. For everything else, a spectrum analyzer will be used. This is going to be a huge undertaking, so I'd welcome any help I can get. So far, I think I'll have at least 15 different CLD brands/lines. My main concern is making sure to get test results at 1/48 octave resolution. Reason being, what happens if Brand A, lowers resonance from 50hz to 40hz, and reduces amplitude by 6db. Then Brand B, lowers resonance from 50hz to 45hz, and reduces amplitude by 3db. Brand B could show up as better than Brand A if your only getting info for every third of an octave.

I chose 22 gauge mostly due to cost, and relative thickness to car doors, as that's usually the first spot treated, and in many cases the only spot. But also, since my goal was more to see which deadener works the best, I would think that the deadener that works the best on 22 gauge would still work the best on 16 gauge as well when simply talking about effectiveness relative to the other brands (even though the absolute numbers would be different). I do have a couple of CLD constraining layer tests I'd like to run as well, which I'll expand on once I figure out the best way to test them.

Tracie, that would be great if you have some you don't need. I'll email you today when I'm home from work, around 1pst.

Thanks South East Customz, I'll let you know when it gets here.

Old 04-12-2013   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Tracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura aboutTracie@GTMat has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Tracie, that would be great if you have some you don't need. I'll email you today when I'm home from work, around 1pst.
Already en route to you.

Pro, Ultra, Onyx, GT110 and Dynamat Xtreme.
Old 04-12-2013   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 835 GLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond reputeGLN305 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Already en route to you.

Pro, Ultra, Onyx, GT110 and Dynamat Xtreme.
Awesome! Thank you.
GLN305 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Good to see you taking on this potentially monumental task. You know I am local, so if you ever need a "lab assistant" just give me a call. I'd be happy to come help you out with any of the fabrication or testing. I can bring along what photo equipment I have to try and help document, if need be. Which shop locally were you going to attempt to score some deadener from (you can just name a street/area if you don't want to name names)?

On a personal note, I would love to see the Knu Konceptz Kno Knoise and/or Kno Knoise Kolossus tested. I have tried a couple of times to get a hold of Don at SDS and never gotten a response. I plan to purchase from Knu myself, but haven't placed the order yet. If I can order soon, I'll see what I can do about slipping in an extra sheet to the order to pass along.
rton20s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thanks Dustin. I haven't stopped by any shops yet, but I figured I would see what Zam's was using. I was going to try to get some dynamat from California Car Stereo, but Tracie from GTMat sent me a square, although I'd really love to find some Dynaplate. I'm not spending $175 on it though, and that seems to be the cheapest it goes for, since they only sell larger quantities. If you have any extra Knu stuff, that would be great. If not, we'll see where the budget falls.

Photo help would be great, my camera works, but its still a point n shoot, although it takes 1080 video. I think it does video better than pics.

Tracie, I got your package today, thanks again for helping out.

So, what I have so far is,

2 - Stinger Roadkill Expert Tiles
1 - SDS CLD Tile
1 - Alpha Damp Tile
1 - Lightning Audio Dead Skin Tile
1 - Dynamat Xtreme Tile
1 - GTMat Onyx
1 - GTMat Pro 50 Mil
1 - GTMat Ultimate 80 Mil
1 - GTMat Pro 110 Mil

Jazzi, when I get some more time, I'm going to PM you. I was hoping to meet up at Bings grand opening, but just saw you wont be able to make it.

Old 04-15-2013   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

This place

Rep Power: 40147 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good start to the list. I think Audio Technix is a vendor, maybe they will send you a tile of 60 and 80 mil. If you want I can email them and ask.

That GTMat Pro could be confusing for people buying it. Usually 2 different spec products are not called the same thing. ---> Just looked on their site and the 100 mil doesn't say Pro. http://www.gtmat.com/gt_mat_sound_de..._products.html
schmiddr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I'm going off the sticky notes in the package I got. I'll go over each product as I test and email each company if I need more info. I know I need to email Lightning Audio, as I can't find any specs on their products.

I just checked out Audio Technix site, I'd definitely like to test their products, especially being that they have different constraining layer thicknesses than everyone else. I'll be emailing Second Skin as well, as they also have their own thicknesses on the constraining layer.

Old 04-15-2013   #42
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,215 Posts
Rep Power: 454 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

No Second Skin?? REALLLLYYY?????????

SkizeR is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I'll definitely be testing second skin, as that is what I used last time. Just want to see if they're willing to help out first.

Old 04-15-2013   #44
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I have pro gear, but I do have a Nikon D7000 and a tripod. I've also got access to a GoPro (last gen) if we need to shoot some Slo-mo, but it won't be 1080. My DSLR and phone both shoot 1080 though.
rton20s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post
Good start to the list. I think Audio Technix is a vendor, maybe they will send you a tile of 60 and 80 mil. If you want I can email them and ask.

That GTMat Pro could be confusing for people buying it. Usually 2 different spec products are not called the same thing. ---> Just looked on their site and the 100 mil doesn't say Pro. GT MAT SOUND CONTROL, LLC Automotive Sound Deadener Dampning Material Dynamat Alternative
Chris - It should be "GTMat 110 Mil"

- 2013 MECA Street Texas State Champion -
- 2012 MECA SQ2 Texas State Champion -
2002 Dodge Quad Cab - 1st Build Log - 2nd Build Log
2008 BMW 328i (E90) - 1st Build Log: 60%
DeanE10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiddr2 View Post

That GTMat Pro could be confusing for people buying it. Usually 2 different spec products are not called the same thing. ---> Just looked on their site and the 100 mil doesn't say Pro. GT MAT SOUND CONTROL, LLC Automotive Sound Deadener Dampning Material Dynamat Alternative
Quote:
I'm going off the sticky notes in the package I got. I'll go over each product as I test and email each company if I need more info. I know I need to email Lightning Audio, as I can't find any specs on their products.

I just checked out Audio Technix site, I'd definitely like to test their products, especially being that they have different constraining layer thicknesses than everyone else. I'll be emailing Second Skin as well, as they also have their own thicknesses on the constraining layer.
Ack, the guys probably tagged the 110 wrong. GT110 is what we are calling it, for lack of a better name. Also, the 80 mil is GTMat Ultra.

Looking forward to the test results, let me know if you need anything else!
Old 04-16-2013   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

This place

Rep Power: 40147 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have emailed Audio Technix and asked them to look into being part of the test.
schmiddr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I'll be emailing the owner of Audio Technix later today, but it sounds like he's on board.

Also, there was some concern on a non-audio board about the ability to know what the actual materials are in the deadeners. There was concern that some companies (he specified dynamat) might have asphalt in them without them saying so. So, I plan to email each company I test, and ask for an MSDS for each material. I'm hoping they wont view it as me attempting to reverse engineer their product, but we'll see. I don't expect each company to oblige.

Also, I'll be building a punch to cut the deadeners to size for the testing. I figure its the easiest way to guarantee all pieces are the same size. I have access to a press, so I can use that with the punch to cut them out.

Old 04-16-2013   #49
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 239 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!
You're definitely removing the variables one by one.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thanks. Response here has definitely been better than elsewhere.

"why bother measuring if difference, if you cant hear it"

"if something reduced the noise, why spend a higher amount to reduce it more"

And my favorite

"this testing is going to be hard to quantify if your not going to listen for improvements"

You know. Because subjective testing is great at quantifying things, and objective testing can't quantify things.

Oh well, if I wasn't pissing someone off, I wouldn't be doing a good enough job at this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread