Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013   #51
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 240 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Thanks. Response here has definitely been better than elsewhere.

"why bother measuring if difference, if you cant hear it"

"if something reduced the noise, why spend a higher amount to reduce it more"

And my favorite

"this testing is going to be hard to quantify if your not going to listen for improvements"

You know. Because subjective testing is great at quantifying things, and objective testing can't quantify things.

Oh well, if I wasn't pissing someone off, I wouldn't be doing a good enough job at this.
You knew that was coming.

Now just wait until you start posting comparison data.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
You knew that was coming.

Now just wait until you start posting comparison data.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
I say ignore them

The only other piece you will need to work out is the rolling of the material onto the metal... Not sure if it will be wide enough, but I would think using an older style Towel Ringer would be ideal and provide consistency... no?

- 2013 MECA Street Texas State Champion -
- 2012 MECA SQ2 Texas State Champion -
2002 Dodge Quad Cab - 1st Build Log - 2nd Build Log
2008 BMW 328i (E90) - 1st Build Log: 60%
DeanE10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Rubyserv
Position:
Founder and CEO

Rep Power: 128 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

I'm excited to see your test write-up. I'm tired of the endless stubborn statements that one vibration damper is just as good as another.

My system: Clarion CX305, CDT ACD-4090 and ACD-3001 amps, CDT Audio DSP4.8, Victory Sonics 20 amp supercapacitor, CDT ES-6CW 6.5" Kevlar midbass, CDT CRM-01Be Beryllium tweeters, Cerwin Vega Vega Pro 12" in 2.0 cubes @ 36 Hz
trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013   #54

12V Company:
Xtreme Customizing
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 FutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enoughFutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enoughFutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enoughFutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enoughFutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enoughFutureFuzz 26 will become famous soon enough

i didnt read all of the post, but i have tons of FatMat i will be willing to donate. and there is a couple pieces of Dynamat Xtreme at work if you need it, ill even pay shipping
FutureFuzz 26 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Dustin, sorry I missed your post. That Nikon is more than enough, its better than trying to post stuff from my film Canon rebel. My point and shoot works, but its close up abilities suck. I'll let you know when I'm getting ready to start.

Dean, I've actually been thinking about that for a while. I measured the pressure which I usually use to apply sound deadening. I pressed down on my scale, and got 69 pounds. Since I've been using a rubber roller, I then coated the roller in ink, and pressed down on a sheet of paper. The resulting blotch measured a little less than a square inch, 2"x0.375" or so. So I need something that can at least do between 60-80psi. My worry with the towel ringer, is both pressure, and the possibility of it bending the metal. I'm thinking two 1/4" thick steel plates, and a press.

FutureFuzz, some Fatmat would be great, I don't have any yet. If you could do a 12"x12" of dynamat too, that would be great. PM me and we can figure it out. Thanks again.

Haha Brett. Funny thing is, I knew it would come over there first, and I knew the two members that it would be. One is a die hard peel n seal fan, and all other brand skeptic (but hes never used anything else). The other is someone who builds street cars that push the limits of diminished returns in engine performance, but then derides me for working on my car's aerodynamics because "dodge wouldn't build it that way if it wasn't the best way".

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #56
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dustin, sorry I missed your post. That Nikon is more than enough, its better than trying to post stuff from my film Canon rebel. My point and shoot works, but its close up abilities suck. I'll let you know when I'm getting ready to start...

...One is a die hard peel n seal fan, and all other brand skeptic (but hes never used anything else). The other is someone who builds street cars that push the limits of diminished returns in engine performance, but then derides me for working on my car's aerodynamics because "dodge wouldn't build it that way if it wasn't the best way".
Just let me know. The camera is pretty much ready to go at all times.

And on the forum front... I am not too surprised. Seems like a pretty common type of response from a vehicle specific forum. BTDT.
rton20s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #57
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 94 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

I have some Peel n Seal laying around the garage I would be happy to donate to the cause. The guys at April Fools Fest can attest to this

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
spyders03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

PM'd you back spyders.

Also guys, I'll have some video tonight of the accelerometer working. Got it hooked up today to verify functioning. Just need to figure out youtube, since photobuckets video hosting sucks.

Old 04-18-2013   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 spl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enoughspl152db will become famous soon enough

Subd I have a small piece of dynamat. Not sure how much you need. Also have elemental designs 45 mil if you want that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
spl152db is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I'm probably good on dynamat right now, but ED would be good to add to the list. Pm me, and I'll get back to you tonight. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2013   #61
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 94 spyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enoughspyders03 will become famous soon enough

Sounds good Chris, 1/3 roll headed your way!

au·dio·phile: Audiophiles’ became one of the most bizarre cults of the previous century. Claiming to be gifted with golden ears, audiophiles can hear electrons traveling in wires, and have the ability to channel thought into crystals to ward off evil harmonics, and cloaking themselves in mystical terms unrelated to music and physics.NEW: Check out my Build Log!
Old 04-18-2013   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks Spyders.

Well, no video, I can't find the charger for my camera, and my phone takes lousy video. I did get some phone pics though. For the actual testing, the pictures will be taken by a local audio enthusiast, with a Nikon D7000. We'll also have my camera which takes 1080 video, and a gopro.

ADXL335 Chip on a Arduino Breakout Board. Some of the caps will be changed out to achieve the bandwidth I'm happy with.

Sparkfun 3.3/5 volt DC power supply.

This is me shaking the accelerometer along the Y axis, which is the axis I'll be using for the test. The X and Z axis work as well.

And this is me shaking it again, with a different pattern.

I only had two hands, or I would tell you guys the frequency and amplitude. I'll locate the charger tomorrow and get some actual video. Remember, this is just to verify functioning. I'll work this weekend on making sure its accurate enough for the testing, although specs say it should be.

Old 04-19-2013   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Got the StP products in today, its definitely some interesting stuff for those who haven't had the chance to check them out.

Old 04-19-2013   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 DeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enoughDeanE10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Got the StP products in today, its definitely some interesting stuff for those who haven't had the chance to check them out.
I have seen it in the boxes but never had the chance to use it on anything

- 2013 MECA Street Texas State Champion -
- 2012 MECA SQ2 Texas State Champion -
2002 Dodge Quad Cab - 1st Build Log - 2nd Build Log
2008 BMW 328i (E90) - 1st Build Log: 60%
DeanE10 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #65
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 310 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet... Can't wait to see the results

Don't have anything to send you but if you tell me your paypal, I can send you a few bucks to help you (and us) in your test.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #66
req
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

yeah man! great thread so far!

you may want to start a new one once the testing stuff is put together...

you also may want to post a list of the product you have on hand and the products you would like to get so more peoply might see an updated list of have\want\need.

req is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

I am very interested in the results of this one now. Subscribed. I am just about to flip my car stereo machine for a much higher line vehicle but sadly has nothing done to it yet. Blank slates are always nice too. I think the first thing I will be looking at is sound deadening but I have to save up a bit first. It will be interesting to see which brand comes out on top or if there will be a decisive winner at all.
james2266 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #68
Upgrade Your Membership!

Package in the mail!

Old 04-22-2013   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Kelvin, I'll pm you when I'm off work.

Req, thanks. I'll start a new thread when I get results to keep it cleaned up. I may be able to get them all hosted up on a website as well, my dad has had my name registered as a domain name since I was a freshman. I'll have to look into finding someone that's competent at designing a website lol. I'll get a list up later today.

James, I'm really curious what the results will be. I'm not expecting huge differences between certain products. Of course I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, as that makes the test worth more to me.

Spyders, thanks, I'll let you know when it gets here.

Old 04-22-2013   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

2Stubborn- I have some left over Cascade VB2. It is not CLD but it is used for the same purpose. Let me know if you want a little bit for this. I am curious if it compares well to the others or not.
james2266 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #71

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 99 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

Crap, I forgot about this! - 2stubborn- I have the GTMat ready to ship to you. Can you please PM me the shipping addy again...

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 "stealth audio"
DSR-1 / Alpine V9 / CDT-ES02 / Alpine S69 / (2) Dayton DCS165 vented
therapture is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

James, cascade is one of the ones I don't have that I really think needs to be in this test. Both the VB-2, and VMAX. PM me, and we'll talk about it.

Rapture, I'll pm you right after I post this.

Ok, this is the list of have in my hands products.

Dynamat xtreme - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Pro 50 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Ultimate 80 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat 110 Mil - 1 12"x12"
GTMat Onyx - 1 12"x12"
Alphadamp - 1 10"x14"
SDS CLD - 1 6"x10"
Stinger Road Kill Pro - 2 6"x6"
Lightning Audio Deadskin - 1 8"x8"
StP Bomb - 1 sheet
StP Gold - 1 sheet
StP Silver - 1 sheet
StP Vizomat - 1 sheet

Things that are on the way or have might soon be on the way

Fatmat
1/3rd a roll of peel n seal
second skin damp pro
edead
possibly some cascade V-2
possibly some knu concepts stuff

That leaves me wanting for the test

cascade vmax
maybe some raamat

I think that's really the whole list of heavy hitters, and somewhat common alternatives.

Old 04-22-2013   #73
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 240 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kelvin, I'll pm you when I'm off work.

Req, thanks. I'll start a new thread when I get results to keep it cleaned up. I may be able to get them all hosted up on a website as well, my dad has had my name registered as a domain name since I was a freshman. I'll have to look into finding someone that's competent at designing a website lol. I'll get a list up later today.

James, I'm really curious what the results will be. I'm not expecting huge differences between certain products. Of course I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, as that makes the test worth more to me.

Spyders, thanks, I'll let you know when it gets here.
TSTF,
Since many on DIYMA have sent you product to help testing, it's only right that the results get posted here.
Duplicate the results if you want on your own website but definitely post them here as well.
Thanks buddy.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #74
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 310 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Got your PM Waiting for the second one

ORCA has 2 types of deadener:
Blackhole / High Efficiency Dampening Products
ACCESSORIES « Focal America

Dunno if any of the above fits your criteria but I've read great things about those

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
TSTF,
Since many on DIYMA have sent you product to help testing, it's only right that the results get posted here.
Duplicate the results if you want on your own website but definitely post them here as well.
Thanks buddy.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
It will definitely be posted here first. The website will be something afterwards to keep things simple and easy to read, without whats likely to be a lot of additional posts.

Kelvin, I'll get you back tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread