Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Page 52 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015   #1276

Rep Power: 73 country_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura aboutcountry_hick has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15TACO View Post
Is all MLV over CCF the same?
I have seen MLV with DB reductions that changed 1 or 2 db. MLV is not a standardized product. Its ingredients and percentages can vary by manufacturer. While the sound reduction will always be similar from one MLV to another it will not be exactly the same. Look for DB reduction charts to compare products.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015   #1277

Rep Power: 78 Instaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enough

Would it be wise to put MLV on the underside of a trunk-lid... if the subs in the trunk fire upwards, toward the trunk-lid?
I'm sure it would reduce rattles... but would it also just absorb all the bass and severely muffle the sub's output?
Instaburn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015   #1278
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instaburn View Post
Would it be wise to put MLV on the underside of a trunk-lid... if the subs in the trunk fire upwards, toward the trunk-lid?
I'm sure it would reduce rattles... but would it also just absorb all the bass and severely muffle the sub's output?
I don't have too much experience with trunks, I assume no need for MLV on the T lid, besides getting the MLV to stay on fighting gravity, road and exhaust noise transfers from the bottom area of the trunk, the lid only needs CLD dampening to reduce flexing and rattles.

If flexing is a big issue, some metal bracing added may be a good option
Alrojoca is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015   #1279

Rep Power: 78 Instaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enoughInstaburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
I don't have too much experience with trunks, I assume no need for MLV on the T lid, besides getting the MLV to stay on fighting gravity, road and exhaust noise transfers from the bottom area of the trunk, the lid only needs CLD dampening to reduce flexing and rattles.

If flexing is a big issue, some metal bracing added may be a good option
Thanks for the advice..
Here is what the trunk lid looks like right now.
Not the most beautiful thing...but the goal was to reduce vibrations as much as possible.
I even sprayed some 3M Rubberized undercoat spray into the holes in order to maximize vibration reduction.
Old 06-21-2015   #1280
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

I have to be honest. You'd be best off removing all of the fatmat and replacing it with almost anything else. Fatmat is a bottom of the line performer. So low in actual performance that I cant possibly recommend it to anyone for any purpose aside from maybe roofing their house.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015   #1281
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I even sprayed some 3M Rubberized undercoat spray into the holes in order to maximize vibration reduction.
Carefully using a semi expanding foam to fill the panels between the holes would be much better then the undercoating. 3m also makes just such a product.
seafish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015   #1282
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 102 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
I have to be honest. You'd be best off removing all of the fatmat and replacing it with almost anything else. Fatmat is a bottom of the line performer. So low in actual performance that I cant possibly recommend it to anyone for any purpose aside from maybe roofing their house.
I'm in the process of ripping it out of my vehicle. Straight garbage. It's not totally useless if you already own it. It covers small holes!

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015   #1283

Wayy too late for me to "rip out" anything at this point.
I appreciate the advice, but the objective was to reduce rattling and resonance from the trunk due to the subs firing straight at the trunk-lid.
Call me crazy, but when I did the knock and listen method, it sounded "more dead" after the application of fatmat.
I'm definitely not the expert, but I honestly don't think it was a complete waste of time to put the fatmat down or the 3M under coat spray.
I completely understand if the trunk rattles like crazy and the whole rear half of the car resonates like a mofo. I just seriously doubt it will.
I spent enough time, I absolutely would not let the car sound crappy because of the sound deadening.
If fatmat fails, I will be the first to rip it out.
Old 06-21-2015   #1284
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 102 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Rip it out. It doesn't all fail. I had some stick well. To the point I am having a real hard time removing it. But other stuff, nearly all on the roof, failed. Your trunk lid is the same type of installation as my roof. I did not cut any corners. I cleaned, dried, and then rolled the mat on. Here is a link to my build log. There is pics in there of the failure and damage it caused to me equipment.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...l-eclipse.html

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2015   #1285
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 240 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the advice..
Here is what the trunk lid looks like right now.
Not the most beautiful thing...but the goal was to reduce vibrations as much as possible.
Clean installation of the cld I must say Insta.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015   #1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
Rip it out. It doesn't all fail. I had some stick well. To the point I am having a real hard time removing it. But other stuff, nearly all on the roof, failed. Your trunk lid is the same type of installation as my roof. I did not cut any corners. I cleaned, dried, and then rolled the mat on. Here is a link to my build log. There is pics in there of the failure and damage it caused to me equipment.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...l-eclipse.html
Still going to stand by and say that this stuff is nowhere near "ready to fall off" ... it is really really on there.
Maybe when it gets hot??? I dunno.
That stuff hasn't budged it has sat for a couple days in my garage during this heat... and I'd say the garage is at least 100+ deg. during the middle of the day.
Old 06-23-2015   #1287

Rep Power: 61 chucko58 will become famous soon enoughchucko58 will become famous soon enoughchucko58 will become famous soon enoughchucko58 will become famous soon enoughchucko58 will become famous soon enoughchucko58 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Still going to stand by and say that this stuff is nowhere near "ready to fall off" ... it is really really on there.
Maybe when it gets hot??? I dunno.
That stuff hasn't budged it has sat for a couple days in my garage during this heat... and I'd say the garage is at least 100+ deg. during the middle of the day.
The real test will come when you park the car out in direct sun on a really hot day.

Too many hobsessions, too little time.
chucko58 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1288

Rep Power: 80 Nothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Speaking of "new" products, I mentioned this one to Chris already. These guys are attempting to market their product to some of the car audio groups on FB as a sound deadener. The guy posting about it has said he is interested in contacting Chris and getting him a sample for testing.

Car Insulation - Lightweight Heat and Sound Insulation

Somehow, I don't see a CCF sandwiched between foil backers as being nearly as effective at dampening as CLD. And the 1/4" thickness isn't going to be too effective at absorbing sound either (especially with a foil layer on either side). It might work fine as a thermal barrier though.
I think hes a v8 buick member and he foind oit aboit this thread as i posted allot on this subject and threw this link out once or twice.
I came to notice this product yesterday when he posted on buick performance groups FB page and he didnt like what ive had to say
apparently you and i came to the same conclusion to how this prodict will work..
But he said im clueless, im no expert
Yet he compares it to dynomat extreme on his site and he knows his market(i stated he doesnt due to that comparison and the fact he claims it does every aspect of deadening) and knows it works..though it cant as it has no constraining layer nor have any mass/density

he should just advertise it as a thermal matting
Nothingface5384 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1289

Rep Power: 80 Nothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enoughNothingface5384 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_hick View Post
That sounds like low-e insulation to me.
ESP Low-E Reflective Insulation - Home

2 layers installed in a citroen netted a 4dba drop. It went from 82dba to 78dba. That is hardly an effective soundproofing product. However, the heat reduction was dramatic!
citroen cx insulation
I think you're right
Both his product and this as mentioned are noth in PA
googled his number and a tint shop comes with same num and html template
http://www.lehighvalleywindowtint.co...windowtint.htm
so very likely hes redistributing with his brand name
Old 06-24-2015   #1290

Rep Power: 70 Phil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enough

Well, I just did my doors with Kolossus. I put sheets covering the entire outer skin/from inside of course, and then I covered all I could on the skin that faces the inside/door panels, without getting into the window mechanism and such. But each door ate about 2.5 to 3 sheets!

The doors now feel super nice. Heavier, more solid, and super nice feel when you shut them. The KOlossus was pretty easy to work with. Minimal finger cuts, very sticky stuff. My order of 35sqft was about 39 pounds. More than half went to the doors.

I don't even know if what I did is good for the SQ, but the doors are dead!

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-24-2015 at 11:22 AM..
Phil Indeblanc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1291
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 147 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
I think hes a v8 buick member and he foind oit aboit this thread as i posted allot on this subject and threw this link out once or twice.
I came to notice this product yesterday when he posted on buick performance groups FB page and he didnt like what ive had to say
apparently you and i came to the same conclusion to how this prodict will work..
But he said im clueless, im no expert
Yet he compares it to dynomat extreme on his site and he knows his market(i stated he doesnt due to that comparison and the fact he claims it does every aspect of deadening) and knows it works..though it cant as it has no constraining layer nor have any mass/density

he should just advertise it as a thermal matting
Yeah, he never contacted me. Doubt he'd be willing to supply any at this point for objective testing.

Old 06-24-2015   #1292
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Oh, and just in case I'm slow to reply, I'll be answering posts on my phone when I get the chance. Working several hours of ot again, everyday, probably for the next month and a half, so I don't really have the time to sit down at the computer for a bit.

Old 06-24-2015   #1293
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 240 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh, and just in case I'm slow to reply, I'll be answering posts on my phone when I get the chance. Working several hours of ot again, everyday, probably for the next month and a half, so I don't really have the time to sit down at the computer for a bit.
Ok well then this would be a good time to ask you using your phone to list out the top 100 clds in order of test results.
I need it done by this afternoon please.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Old 06-24-2015   #1294
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
Ok well then this would be a good time to ask you using your phone to list out the top 100 clds in order of test results.
I need it done by this afternoon please.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Since Chris is so busy, I can respond with at least the top four...
  1. CarInsulation.com
  2. Peel & Seal
  3. Fat Mat
  4. Lead pellets suspended in silicone

The other 96 are up to Chris.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1295
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 141 papasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura aboutpapasin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
  1. CarInsulation.com
  2. Peel & Seal
  3. Fat Mat

Don't forget the emoticons! As I've learned on this forum, if you don't use them, someone might actually take it too seriously.
papasin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1296
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
  1. CarInsulation.com
  2. Peel & Seal
  3. Fat Mat

Ok that was funny right there!

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Old 06-24-2015   #1297
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
Don't forget the emoticons! As I've learned on this forum, if you don't use them, someone might actually take it too seriously.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1298

Quote:
Yeah, he never contacted me. Doubt he'd be willing to supply any at this point for objective testing.
i can always paypal ya the $$ to buy some
or ill buy some and ship it to you
if anyone is really interested
Old 06-24-2015   #1299

Rep Power: 78 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

I ordered 28 square foot of the knu 100 mill for the deadening of my new car.
And I don't know if it was mentioned before, but I always ordered directly from knu website. They were charging me $13.99 for shipping. However, when ordering from their amazon store, shipping was free.
I just need some CCF and MLV now.
SQLnovice is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015   #1300
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 Brian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura aboutBrian_smith06 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasin View Post
wait he wasn't serious! back to the drawing board

2004 Tahoe Z-71
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
Eric Stevens 2xQ700.2 1xQ1200.1
Seas Twiddlers, Silver flute 6.5", Alpine Type S 10" AKA budget speakers
Brian_smith06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread