Melodic Acoustic Euphoria Trilogy: First Look - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Default Melodic Acoustic Euphoria Trilogy: First Look

I don't normally like to write about drivers before I listen to them. That being said I'll keep this relatively brief and discuss the Melodic Acoustic Euphoria Trilogy Series, which I received last week. When the weather becomes more favorable I will get these installed and add to this review.

In the mean time I'll comment on the build quality, suggested crossovers, and first impressions. I pre-ordered and received a matched set of drivers as promised. Strictly going off of aesthetics and looks, I am very pleased and have high hopes for these.

The euphoria 16.6:

Recommended crossovers from Mr. Brooks
LPF: 250hz @ 6db/oct
HPF: 60hz @ 24db/oct

I think what I liked the most about the midwoofer and the mid are the surrounds. Very light and flexible, moreso than the other drivers I have used in the past.

The euphoria 8.9:

LPF: 8khz @ 6db/oct
HPF: 500hz @ 6db/oct
(Designed for use in an enclosure of .75 to 1 liter sealed)

I am usually more accustomed to a larger mid drive usually 4-4.5 inches. These are obviously geared toward the higher end of the spectrum. From what I have gathered from others, they resist beaming very well, I will just have to wait and see.

The euphoria 2.0:

HPF: 9khz @ 6db/oct

These guys are tiny! And I expect them to have some nice sparkle on the top end.

It's refreshing to have components that were designed for use with an active system and even better to have direct contact with the gentleman who produces them who can give advice on crossovers and enclosure design.

I will be sure to report back when these are installed.

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000

Last edited by WestCo; 11-15-2013 at 10:47 PM..
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 264 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

A driver can't resist beaming. It's a function of cone size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 101 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Melodic Acoustic Euphoria Trilogy: First Look

Fair enough, their small size should afford for a very high beaming frequency. Correct?

Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000

Old 11-15-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

That size cone will start to beam well before the crossover point. It will begin beaming by or before 4500hz.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 189 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

Nice looking drivers!!

Beaming and narrow dispersion is not always a bad thing in a car

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
Nice looking drivers!!

Beaming and narrow dispersion is not always a bad thing in a car
Thanks, I think so too.
My mids are on axis anyways.

Old 11-15-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
808 Sound Factory
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 111 HiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enough

Mid range and tweeter look exactly like the set I have. My tweeter even has the same sticker on it with the same numbers.
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 JVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the rough

Is the midbass the same as the AP drivers? Looks exactly like the one I received which is essentially an Arian without the phase plug.

I don't get the pricing discrepancies with Mark's products.

IIRC the Arian was like $450. NZ3A was in the same range.

They're MUCH less directly from AP though...
JVD240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 130 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD240 View Post
Is the midbass the same as the AP drivers? Looks exactly like the one I received which is essentially an Arian without the phase plug.

I don't get the pricing discrepancies with Mark's products.

IIRC the Arian was like $450. NZ3A was in the same range.

They're MUCH less directly from AP though...
The midbass is very different from Arian as I have tried both. Arian is miles ahead

Sent from my Find 5
piyush7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 146 rockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
The midbass is very different from Arian as I have tried both. Arian is miles ahead

Sent from my Find 5
Let me make sure I'm hearing you right. You've tried both the Euphoria and the Arian and you like the Arian by a long shot?

2010 Honda Ridgeline Kenwood Source Helix RS6 Components Helix 6.5 Coax 2 IDQ10s Helix PSIX DSP Soundstream Nano
rockytophigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 JVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the roughJVD240 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post

Sent from my Find 5
My understanding is that when the NZA Duo was offered the midbass was the Arian sans phase plug. All this did was provide more cone area and a slightly lower FS.
Old 11-17-2013   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Rep Power: 130 piyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enoughpiyush7243 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytophigh View Post
Let me make sure I'm hearing you right. You've tried both the Euphoria and the Arian and you like the Arian by a long shot?
Yep the Arian's are widebanders n can be crossed as high as 5k whereas these can only play till 2k or so. Even magnet wise n weight wise they are different

Sent from my Find 5
Old 11-17-2013   #13

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

So in the pass band that this midbass plays, do you still say the Arians wide band is better? If so, that's huge or a huge negative.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Vaani Acoustics
Position:
Founder/Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
So in the pass band that this midbass plays, do you still say the Arians wide band is better? If so, that's huge or a huge negative.
Yep Arian's are better but these can be crossed lower. For midbass these drivers are great as Q is .7 which is perfect for a door install n these rock. whereas Arian are made to do a lot more than these.

The huge difference is not present for mid bass part though but over all Arians are better by a huge margin

Sent from my Find 5
Old 11-17-2013   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 192 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Ok to say the Arian is the better driver is mis leading. The Arian was designed with a different mind set and intended usage. The Arian was a wide-band. The Euphoria kills the Arian as a pure midbass. Plain and simple. Running in a two way the Arian is the better driver. The Euphoria was designed as a midbass.

I love the Arian and it will be back, but as a pure midbass the Arian was limited. In the midbass pass-band the Euphoria is the superior driver. Simply push down on the Arian and you can easily make it touch the back plate. Run them to low and to much power and she would bottom out. That wahy I never recommended running running the Arian low and if you did low power. The Arian had the jbl 2118h type design. High efficiency for a car audio designed driver and was great in 80hz up range 70hz was ok. Now use it as midrange playing from say 150hz up to 5khz and it was just amazing an just add a large midbass.

Now do the same to the Euphoria design it is much much harder to make it bottom out. that is simply what you need from a great mid-bass. So as you can see I do not and have not recommended the Euphoria 16.6 for 2 way use only midbass use.

Now if you have low fs tweeter that can play down to 2.5khz the Euphoria 16.6 sound very much like the Arian in that pass-band, same cone just no phase plug. And the poster above that said it looks like the Arian with no phase is correct. It should, same cone, but totally different motors. The Euphoria is hybrid motor - Neo/Ceramic the Arian is just a huge ceramic motor. And as we know the price of Neo has gone up drastically. So I needed a great Midbass that didn't have the issue I was having with my beloved Arian. As midrange/bass (70-80hz) she is great. Below that she has a hard time.

So please do not just make a bold statement like the Arian is the better driver. As a 6.5" midrange playing up to 5khz I have to agree but 50-500hz no way the Arian can compete.

Also price difference is my price is shipped and I honestly have to pay important taxes, custom fees etc..... there is where the price difference comes in. Name one company that can compete with their builder/designer on pricing. And these drivers are now only available from me now.

Hope that answers the questions here, if there are anymore please feel free to call or text me directly at 404-683-8626.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"

Last edited by Melodic Acoustic; 11-17-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,176 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

so what is the size of the midbass?

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 192 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

She's a 6.5".

You have a beast already. One of the best in my opinion.

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,176 Posts
Rep Power: 452 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic Acoustic View Post
She's a 6.5".

You have a beast already. One of the best in my opinion.
the intimid8rs? ive yet to set em up :/ i really want to compare then side by side to my anarchies. they also look identicle to some old usd audio subs i have (even came in the same box)

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
808 Sound Factory
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 111 HiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enoughHiloDB1 will become famous soon enough

Whats the top mount depth of the Euphoria? Can you PM me a price?
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

I'm looking forward to trying them out soon.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Cool cool.

Thanks for clearing all that up, Mark!
Old 11-18-2013   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 146 rockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enough

Thank all of you guys. Mark that was exactly the information I needed. I've got a Lexus CT200 that I affectionately call the Cargina. I've gone from a GTO to 130hp hybrid. It has 6.5s in the doors, three 3.5s in the dash (center channel), and tweets in the A pillars. I've been eye humping these speakers after reading your fallout with DAT. I'll leave that be but let's just say, in my opinion, I want to spend money with you after reading it. You'll have to wait until my divorce is final....but once it is, I'm the boss of the checkbook again lol.

I have some concerns about the three 3.5s sounding "odd" coming off the windshield, but this is probably not the place to ask. I'm in Georgia semi often as my office is in Atlanta. You anywhere close where I might take a listen, or buy you lunch?

OP....hurry up and get those beauties up and running. I want your impression!

2010 Honda Ridgeline Kenwood Source Helix RS6 Components Helix 6.5 Coax 2 IDQ10s Helix PSIX DSP Soundstream Nano
rockytophigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 108 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytophigh View Post

OP....hurry up and get those beauties up and running. I want your impression!
Me too!
Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

It's going to need to be in December. Thanksgiving is taking me home to Indiana.

Old 11-22-2013   #25

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Come on Joe, I thought you were dedicated. The speakers are in a little box that will fit in the trunk, right next to that McIntosh or Zed or Arc SE since I can't keep up with you. You will eat way too much turkey and can work on installing the speakers to work some of the food off. Then you'll be able to listen to said speakers all the way back from Indiana and can then give us your opinion...before December. Any other plan is an excuse and an affront to being a dedicated car audio enthusiast. Now, please don't ask me about my Illusions install because this is about you...not me.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement