PPIs new PC 65C3 3 way Components just came in - Page 29 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018   #701
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 Detune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PPIs new PC 65C3 3 way Components just came in

Also, are the 6.75" mid bass drivers in the P65c2 set the same? I might just spring for a set of those for @ $130 and have a spare and spare set of tweets if no one has any ideas.
Detune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2018   #702
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 thegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
We had problems with the pillar trim blocking sound causing the truck to sound narrow( not a speaker issue) the are going to be aimed more at the driver now and sunk into the actual piller.

The tweeter ring does now come apart. You can't see them in the truck but on the wife's car you can so I masked the grill and used Sem dye and sprayed the ring them used a small art brush and did the grill to match her pillar trim. Looks nice
How in the world did you get it apart? I am worried about breaking them.

thx in advance!!!
thegeedwun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018   #703

Rep Power: 81 JCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enoughJCJetta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detune View Post
Also, are the 6.75" mid bass drivers in the P65c2 set the same? I might just spring for a set of those for @ $130 and have a spare and spare set of tweets if no one has any ideas.
Since we are necro bumping this thread - I have an unused pair of the midbass drivers collecting dust on my workbench if you need them.

2007 Volkswagen GTI.
JCJetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018   #704
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 thegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enoughthegeedwun will become famous soon enough

desperation can resurrect the decrepit
Old 04-20-2018   #705
DIYMA 500 Club

Good news is PPI also says they are removable. Oddly enough, they did not give me any advice on the best way to do it. Pushing sure does not seem to be the best way. Will try gentle prying with something plastic.

PPI says:

"The tweeters in both kits can be removed from the housing they are packaged in to facilitate optional mounting techniques such as surface or angled mounted pods.

Or custom fabricated mounting such as in a fiberglass “Kick Pod” or door panel."
Old 04-24-2018   #706
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 Detune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enoughDetune will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Since we are necro bumping this thread - I have an unused pair of the midbass drivers collecting dust on my workbench if you need them.
I got a full set at a great price so I'm "set."

I run them full range now, no high pass on the mid bass. No popping, more mid bass, blends the best ever with the 10w0's at 80/24 for regular listening at 63/24+12db for rokken out.

The fact that they have 100 watts of PPI Powerclass 90's USA Made quality power with a >500 damping rate may have something to do with the fact that they don't pop any more. It's like, why run a HP x-over on the front stage? No need.
Old 04-24-2018   #707
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detune View Post
I got a full set at a great price so I'm "set."

I run them full range now, no high pass on the mid bass. No popping, more mid bass, blends the best ever with the 10w0's at 80/24 for regular listening at 63/24+12db for rokken out.

The fact that they have 100 watts of PPI Powerclass 90's USA Made quality power with a >500 damping rate may have something to do with the fact that they don't pop any more. It's like, why run a HP x-over on the front stage? No need.
Follow up post about needing replacement woofers in...

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2018   #708
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Follow up post about needing replacement woofers in...
Thanks for the feedback.

I see by your profile that you are an enthusiast, so I'd like you to give me your experience on this subject.

The great recording geniuses of the modern times tend to mix on 5.25" mid bass speakers with a tweeter in a sealed enclosure, full range, with or without a subwoofer. I'm talking about the Yamaha NS-10. This enclosure tends to roll off bass @100hz by 12db/oct., I believe. Sub blends with this nearly perfect with a crossover point of 80hz/24db.

For years I never got my subs to blend properly running 12 and 18db crossovers. Now with 24, everything fits right.

The mid bass speakers in the PC65c3 set have cones that are literally less than 4.5" in diameter, but they do play down below 60hz. I can hear it.

Now I understand that being in an IB setup like a door means the speakers can exceed their excursion limits under great volume, hence the popping phenomena with these sets.

When I ran the 50x4 PPI PC4400C with these speakers, they popped to death crossed over under 125hz.

Now with a 100x4 4800C, they don't pop at all with high volume run full range.

The only reason I can see to cross them over at all is to prevent over excursion, but that doesn't seem to be happening any more.

Phase sounds better with them rolling off naturally too, or with 24db crossovers.

From your expert opinion, what are the pros and cons of using high pass crossovers on mid bass speakers in terms of SQ?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2018   #709
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 359 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to get into a big debate. Ideally, everything would come from a single driver playing 20Hz - 20kHz for left and right respectively, but that just isn't a realistic option. Especially in a car.

It all boils down to protecting the driver. There is a history of these drivers "popping" and failing due to over-excursion in pretty typical installs. You're obviously aware of this.

You seem to think your change to a more powerful amplifier has resolved this issue for you. Based on damping factor? I don't think that it has. In time, I think they will fail the same way others have if you don't implement a high pass filter. And with proper filter settings, time alignment and EQ you shouldn't have any issues getting the speakers to blend.

If Epsilon actually provided T/S parameters for the drivers, I would gladly model them for you to see what could potentially happen to the drivers without a high pass filter. But, this is modern day Precision Power. Not only do they not provide T/S parameters for their drivers, I wonder if they even have them for themselves.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (04-25-2018)
Old 05-01-2018   #710
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeedwun View Post
Good news is PPI also says they are removable. Oddly enough, they did not give me any advice on the best way to do it. Pushing sure does not seem to be the best way. Will try gentle prying with something plastic.

PPI says:

"The tweeters in both kits can be removed from the housing they are packaged in to facilitate optional mounting techniques such as surface or angled mounted pods.

Or custom fabricated mounting such as in a fiberglass “Kick Pod” or door panel."
Not that anybody else asked - found out they cannot be removed without breaking the glue bead and maybe voiding the warranty. Solved by creating a surface mount ring out of a 1.5" PVC repair ring with one side cut on a slight bevel. Found some Rustoleum that matches my dash color perfectly. Once I get them in, I will post a pic.
Old 10-20-2018   #711

Rep Power: 58 shutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enough

I plan on getting a set of these. A long time ago I had a set of Boston Acoustics 6.43 Pro 3-way components, I sold them awhile back, been wanting something similar since Boston no longer makes the 3-way pro series.

Sony CDX-C910 > Sony CDX-C90 > Alpine CDA-9857 > Boss BN965BLC > Alpine INE-W960HDMI
shutterguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019   #712

Rep Power: 0 2019Forte will become famous soon enough2019Forte will become famous soon enough2019Forte will become famous soon enough2019Forte will become famous soon enough2019Forte will become famous soon enough2019Forte will become famous soon enough

So I know the tweeters can be off axis...what about the mids?
2019Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019   #713
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019Forte View Post
So I know the tweeters can be off axis...what about the mids?
I don't know the crossover points, but set up properly the mids should be fine off axis.

Old 03-11-2019   #714
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

They should be fine off axis. I assume you mean a door most likely. They only thing I have
ever heard is the set doesnt put out a lot of midbass.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Days Ago   #715

Rep Power: 58 shutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enoughshutterguy will become famous soon enough

Wonder if someone with these can help? I just bought a new set from Amazon, the tweeter has integrated wire leads, one with a clear jacket, the other has a red stripe. Which one should be the positive? Tried calling PP tech support, no luck and an email to them bounced back.

Sony CDX-C910 > Sony CDX-C90 > Alpine CDA-9857 > Boss BN965BLC > Alpine INE-W960HDMI
shutterguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement