PHD AF 6.1 MB Pro; My take on things - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PHD AF 6.1 MB Pro; My take on things

So, I just got the tweets that actually go with my mids. And while I may change them, there is no need to. The more I listen to this front end, the better they sound. These are truly amazing speakers. These are the AF 1.1c's.

StockA4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014   #27

Rep Power: 86 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Those are the ones I run with the FBpro 6.5's and really enjoy the sound.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 159 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Wow not to bust in but those are the exact same ones that I had for sale. Too many tweeters, not enough desire to have another install done.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 killerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enoughkillerb87 will become famous soon enough

I just got the AF 6.1's and the OP's review is spot on. I don't have the pros, but the AF 6.1'S are phenomenal drivers! Best I ever heard. I might have to upgrade to the pros in the future, but for now I am very happy.
killerb87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2014   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb87 View Post
I just got the AF 6.1's and the OP's review is spot on. I don't have the pros, but the AF 6.1'S are phenomenal drivers! Best I ever heard. I might have to upgrade to the pros in the future, but for now I am very happy.
Good to hear! I've been running these for awhile now, and although it doesn't seem possible, they just keep getting better!
Old 05-13-2014   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 kmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enough

Man, reading this makes me want to get my install done...stupid deployment

FRS-Kenwood, Helix, Mosconi, Audiofrog, Audio Development
Miata-Kenwood, Dayton, NVX, Stereo Integrity
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 159 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ may I inquire as to who did your turbo install please ?

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 kmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enoughkmbkk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
^^^ may I inquire as to who did your turbo install please ?
Treadstone Performance in Miami.

FRS-Kenwood, Helix, Mosconi, Audiofrog, Audio Development
Miata-Kenwood, Dayton, NVX, Stereo Integrity
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014   #34

Rep Power: 0 philray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enough

Great review.
Was wondering what amp sounded best with these? Also how was the sound after a long listen session? Did you get any thermal compression? Is there any tweeter attenuation on the passive x-over? Thanks !

Last edited by philray; 07-11-2014 at 01:50 PM..
philray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by philray View Post
Great review.
Was wonder what amp sounded best with these? Also how was the sound after a long listen session? Did you get any thermal compression? Is there any tweeter attenuation on the passive x-over? Thanks !
Tweeter attenuation; basic + or -3db.
Thermal compression; Speakers are rated for 75/150. None of the amps listed are as powerful as the internet says. My HCCA 2100 has been measured at 173 wpc, and the 97.3 is very close to the same. So, I don't believe so.
Long listening sessions; Just about every system I've had required me to turn it down or off after extended periods. However, with these, my extended sessions weren't really notable. I didn't have to turn it down. I think that's because the tweeter wasn't pulling at my ear.
And as far as using different amps, I'd have to say the best sounding combos were the Phoenix Gold and the Sony.

I'm currently in the process of running everything active. I've run active before, but this will be my first time setting it up. I'm also dropping the power a bit. I really like my Sony amps, and these speakers don't need a ton of power.

All that being said, I still have so much to learn before I can properly answer your questions.
Old 07-11-2014   #36

Rep Power: 0 philray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enoughphilray will become famous soon enough

That answered them all. Please keep us updated on the full active setup.
philray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 toroos will become famous soon enoughtoroos will become famous soon enoughtoroos will become famous soon enoughtoroos will become famous soon enoughtoroos will become famous soon enoughtoroos will become famous soon enough

Has anybody tried the FB 6.1 compaired to the AF 6.1? Just curious to know how the mat'l of the mid changes the sound.
toroos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2014   #38

Banned

12V Company:
PHD

Rep Power: 0 PHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroos View Post
Has anybody tried the FB 6.1 compaired to the AF 6.1? Just curious to know how the mat'l of the mid changes the sound.

I have

I really enjoyed the af 6.1 mids more. They worked their way into being my go to 6.5" .

The fb 6.1 is nice, but for a 2 way set up, I either reach for the studio 6.1 neo or the af 6.1.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
PHD - USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 optimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enoughoptimaprime will become famous soon enough

Very nice review you have here sir. Great pics and your mix of older gearis fantastic !

But theseee go to 11!!!
optimaprime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Thank you.
Old 03-23-2015   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 140 bdmach1 will become famous soon enoughbdmach1 will become famous soon enoughbdmach1 will become famous soon enoughbdmach1 will become famous soon enoughbdmach1 will become famous soon enoughbdmach1 will become famous soon enough

Thought I would pop in and say thank you for giving such a great review of your PHD MB Pro's & af1.a tweets. I keep checking in from time to time to see if you got everything switched over and running them active now. Looking forward to reading your impressions on how it sounds now active and if you ended up leaving those af1 tweets in? or switched them out to try the af1.c's???

Bob
bdmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks, Bob. The end of the year proved to be a trying time for me, but I did manage to get the 1.1c's in and I even did a little active action with my gen 1 Sony XES amps, and Pioneer DEX-P1R. I didn't have a chance to do any real tuning because the car went T/U on me. I will say though, that was shaping up to be the cleanest setup I've ever installed. And I say that knowing full well I am not a pro. I'm just a hobbyist who barely knows what he's doing. But I know what sounds good to me.

The good news is, I bought a new car and these are going in. Won't be anything fancy;
Stock head unit
AF 6.1's, and 1.1c's,
a single JL 8W7,
a pair of old PG MS amps,
and a Helix DSP to control it.

Once I get that stuff in and give it a good listen, I'll come back through and offer a final word on my review. Although I would imagine there are more folks than just me who have gotten their hands on these by now.

A couple pics. I've been months without any real music. I am ecstatic that I'm finally going to be back in the game.
Old 11-20-2015   #43

Rep Power: 0 Mcjosh13 will become famous soon enoughMcjosh13 will become famous soon enoughMcjosh13 will become famous soon enoughMcjosh13 will become famous soon enoughMcjosh13 will become famous soon enoughMcjosh13 will become famous soon enough

Great thread. I've read somewhere that they have 8" AF now but not listed on their website. Any info on these?
Mcjosh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement