PHD AF 6.1 MB Pro; My take on things - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Default PHD AF 6.1 MB Pro; My take on things

I have spent a few weeks with these wonderful speakers, and will be working on my full review over the next day or two. While I work on it, here's some pictures for you to enjoy;

I took lots of pictures because I wanted you to be able to see what I think is outstanding build quality.

Btw, if you want more information on these before I post my review, please direct all inquiries to Mike Allen [email protected]

Last edited by StockA4; 03-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Editorial
StockA4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 StockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enoughStockA4 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PHD AF 6.1 MB Pro; My take on things

First things first; I was turned on to PHD by my friend, Geoff who in turn introduced me to Mike Allen, the US sales rep. I had a long conversation with Mike and we decided the component set you see here is what I would audition. Now, anybody involved in the selling end of the 12 volt industry has two very basic needs; Good product and product support. I won't name names, but I'm familiar with brands that don't always have both. However, in this case, Mike Allen and the wonderful company he represents have it in spades. So, thank you gentlemen, for allowing me this opportunity.
The car is your basic 2005 MINI Cooper S model. I cut out the rear fill a long time ago, as I found it to be unnecessary in such a small car. The speakers are set in stock locations;

I broke these speakers in with a Phoenix Gold MPS2500 and after they were nice and supple, I introduced them to my Orion HCCA 2100. Both very, very nice amps for your front end. But the amp I have running them now is a Sony XES M3. That one stays.

When the large glossy black box showed up in the mail, I was very excited. Normally, I record all of my openings (for posterity and proof), but this time I didn't care. I felt like a kid at Christmas. When I got the box open, I wasn't ready for what I found. I've run a lot of different speakers in my time but these were very different. They are visually striking, and the build quality is second to none. The mids are truly something to behold. The crossover is also very nice. I couldn't wait to get these in the car!
These almost didn't fit, but because I had modded my doors awhile back, thankfully they did. So let's fast forward through the break in period to right now; Alpine 9835, Sony M3, and the components.
One of the first tracks I listened to after I got everything fairly tuned to my liking was Journey's "Faithfully". I have never heard anything like that in my life, and was brought nearly to tears by the depth and breadth of Steve Perry's vocals. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I listen to a variety of music and these speakers picked up everything. Every instrument, every sound, piano keys, guitar picks, etc. It's all there. These speakers took what I've been listening to for years and showed me something very different. I'm not very technical and neither is this review. But in the most basic terms, I can sum it up like this; I pulled my CDT ES620 Golds out of the car for these. And my whole listening world went from black and white to color.
There are those that will tell you "equipment is equipment". And to a point, I can agree. But I know something special when I hear it. I'm an old school guy, but unless I'm doing a period piece, I like to run newer speakers. After this audition I can say with confidence that this is the only new speaker I will buy.

Previous listening experiences include MB Quart, German Maestro, Diamond Hex, Focal Polyglass-Utopia, Morel, Dynaudio, HAT and more. <<Some I have owned, some were owned by friends. I haven't listened to everything out there, but to be completely re-invigorated at 41 means a lot to me.
Old 03-03-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 160 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Great review and it has convinced me to pull my nib PHD AF 1.C tweeters out of the for sale forum. Now I just need to pick up another car to put these in. Too bad I'm not doing audio in my Ram....

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Those af 1c's are pretty nice as well

Glad to see people using quality drivers!

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

I know people like pics to associate, so here's the Sony;

And I'd like to say, I'm not a "professional". I'm just an enthusiast who does his own installs. And I can't say that these are the best speakers out there. But these are assuredly the best I've listened to.
Old 03-03-2014   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 145 rockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enoughrockytophigh will become famous soon enough

I had the pleasure of listening to both Geoff's and Mike's cars a couple of weeks ago. They were both very good cars and very, very good people.

2010 Honda Ridgeline Kenwood Source Helix RS6 Components Helix 6.5 Coax 2 IDQ10s Helix PSIX DSP Soundstream Nano
rockytophigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytophigh View Post
I had the pleasure of listening to both Geoff's and Mike's cars a couple of weeks ago. They were both very good cars and very, very good people.
I wish I could hear their cars. Maybe next year. And yes, both are top notch guys!
Old 03-03-2014   #8

Rep Power: 73 momax_powers will become famous soon enoughmomax_powers will become famous soon enoughmomax_powers will become famous soon enoughmomax_powers will become famous soon enoughmomax_powers will become famous soon enoughmomax_powers will become famous soon enough

Is this set a new design for 2014....because they look a lot different (better in fact) than the ones ive seen before and on their site
momax_powers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by momax_powers View Post
Is this set a new design for 2014....because they look a lot different (better in fact) than the ones ive seen before and on their site
The mids are brand spanking new, but I believe the tweets are last years model. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of tweets, these do not hurt my ears when I turn the volume up. I'm always having to crank my tweets down. Not this time.
Old 03-03-2014   #10

Rep Power: 88 Kevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enoughKevin K will become famous soon enough

Those AF mids look very nice. Nice speakers, nice install. Glad you are pleased with them. I'm partial to them myself.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 128 SQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to allSQ Audi is a name known to all

Very nice review. Mike Allen is not the US Rep though, he is the US distributor. So he is the end point of all customer service. PM me if you want to know who the US rep is. We are trying to get our speakers in the hands of the novice, the amateur, as well as the pro, Thank you for your review sir!

Joe Wallis
2013 Hyundai Equus (Ghost)
Lexicon HU, Italia Hi-Fi BL-5 3-way Active, 4 BL-3 8" subwoofers, PHD 4075x for mids and tweets, 2260x for midbass, and 11100x for subs. Ask me about Italia Hi-Fi.
SQ Audi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Keepin' It Old School

12V Company:
OldSchoolStereo
Position:
Owner/Operator/Chief Architect

Rep Power: 124 bigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the roughbigdwiz is a jewel in the rough

What's the US MSRP $ on this set?

See my Youtube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/bigdwiz. Lots of demo videos of Old School Car audio, amplifier tests and more!
bigdwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #13

Banned

12V Company:
PHD

Rep Power: 0 PHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdwiz View Post
What's the US MSRP $ on this set?
This was a set put together for Jason, at the time he didn't want the af 1.c tweeter so we got him the af1.a which is much cheaper. Currently we are having a sale on all of our inventory, so we can bring in more items.

I can send you a message Derrick if you would like more info.
PHD - USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #14

Banned

12V Company:
PHD

Rep Power: 0 PHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enoughPHD - USA will become famous soon enough

The mid-basses have been updated recently with a newer basket, and new push terminals that will alleviate any kind of problems people may have with terminal tabs on mid-basses.
Old 03-04-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ Audi View Post
Very nice review. Mike Allen is not the US Rep though, he is the US distributor. So he is the end point of all customer service. PM me if you want to know who the US rep is. We are trying to get our speakers in the hands of the novice, the amateur, as well as the pro, Thank you for your review sir!
I stand corrected! That's the amateur coming out of me

Thanks, SQ.
Old 03-04-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 82cj8 will become famous soon enough82cj8 will become famous soon enough82cj8 will become famous soon enough82cj8 will become famous soon enough82cj8 will become famous soon enough82cj8 will become famous soon enough

Those pro mids look awesome!I would like to know about the entry level products and pricing
82cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #17

Banned

12V Company:
PHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82cj8 View Post
Those pro mids look awesome!I would like to know about the entry level products and pricing
I can help you out with that my man.

Go ahead and send me a message and I will do everything I can to answer any questions you have.
Old 03-04-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 itsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enoughitsmyturn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge_off_me View Post

Go ahead and send me a message and I will do everything I can to answer any questions you have.

Interested here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
itsmyturn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014   #19

Banned

12V Company:
PHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge_off_me View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
Interested here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot me a message my man

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Old 03-05-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 kkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enoughkkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertone View Post
Great review and it has convinced me to pull my nib PHD AF 1.C tweeters out of the for sale forum. Now I just need to pick up another car to put these in. Too bad I'm not doing audio in my Ram....
You need to do audio in your Ram. It needs it, and it's fun. You didn't want any hair anyway. ('12 CC owner here)

www.SparksAI.com
Great Brands, Good Prices, Excellent Customer Service
DIYMA members receive 10% off their entire order with Code: DIYMA10
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 160 Coppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of lightCoppertone is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone is telling me to do audio in that especially since I average about 37,000 miles per year in it lol. Dealership is begging me to turn it in for a 2014, but I really like this one. Let me see if the wifey can handle the strain of being doing another audio build. She was sick to death about hearing the one in my legacy lol.

(2.5GT) Limited Legacy / Pioneer 4800BS /Audison APK-165
Turbocharged / 6 speed / awd/ goodness ( For SALE )

(2018) Accord 2.0T Touring (10speed) turbocharged
Coppertone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

I am currently running the 6.1 Pro and I really like them. I have the same 1.1 tweeter and it is nice and lively without being too harsh. I have to agree that these speakers are solid performers. To me they just have a well balanced sound and to me they deliver a very "Live" sound to them. I would love to try out the upgraded tweeter as I have heard nothing but great things about them. However, at the current time all my extra funds and time is going into restoring a car. I will certainly purchase more PHD in the future.

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 WestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enoughWestCo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBob View Post
I am currently running the 6.1 Pro and I really like them. I have the same 1.1 tweeter and it is nice and lively without being too harsh. I have to agree that these speakers are solid performers. To me they just have a well balanced sound and to me they deliver a very "Live" sound to them. I would love to try out the upgraded tweeter as I have heard nothing but great things about them. However, at the current time all my extra funds and time is going into restoring a car. I will certainly purchase more PHD in the future.
I greatly enjoyed the phd AF drivers over my HAT L1pro and L4se's. The phd's were more realistic, had lots of "life," and didn't have the sharp sound that the L4 SE did.

The af 4.1 and Af1.c tweeter were really great to listen to.

I speak the truth because I care...
Pioneer ODR RS-D7xIII / RS-P90X; Modded Zapco C2k 4.0; Stock C2k 6.0; 2 - ID12; Illusion Audio C8; Scanspeak 2904-6000
WestCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014   #24

12V Company:
distrobution concepts
Position:
Rep

Rep Power: 0 AJSCHLEP will become famous soon enoughAJSCHLEP will become famous soon enoughAJSCHLEP will become famous soon enoughAJSCHLEP will become famous soon enoughAJSCHLEP will become famous soon enoughAJSCHLEP will become famous soon enough

This a great review of some killer product. Thanks for all your time and effort to help get the word out on products that are not in the main stream.
AJSCHLEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSCHLEP View Post
This a great review of some killer product. Thanks for all your time and effort to help get the word out on products that are not in the main stream.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement